Any info on starting a RDWC grow?

Anything that can use a large standing reservoir will benefit from larger vs smaller. For the reason stated above.

2 Likes

I my case I wanted more control over each bucket, If one of my girls needs more water than the other I can adjust with the use of a valve, each has a separate drain all plumbed into a main, as opposed to the water level being dictated by the height of my drain or reservoir. I am also shooting my water straight down in each bucket for added aireation. I find its easier to maintain a constant water temp. I know the temp is going to be the same for each bucket instead of water warming up in the end of a recirculating system, I know each plant is going to get the same amount of food.

• Ease of use and refills
  • nutrients don’t become stagnant
  • no need to change water (ask @repins12)

These are a few key elements that draw users to rdwc.

That plus the ability to basically diy them out of anything!

3 Likes

@PharmerBob undercurrent and rdwc are the same thing. Undercurrent being a brand name is all.

Water levels should be maintained at a fixed level in all pails which in turn gives no reason for shut off valves except at a drain point in system for when you have to drain all water.
Drip rings are pointless with rdwc as the air bubbles will splash water onto net pots giving plenty of moisture for new seedlings to chase after and get roots to the water.
Dwc is deep water culture a single pail by itself.

Rdwc is recirculating deep water culture. 2 or more pails connected with a pump to recirculate water. Can be done 2 ways.
Water pumping from res to all pails and returning through seperate lines to res.
Or a loop connecting all pails with pump pumping from one side of loop into res which connects to opposite side of loop.
This causes the continuous flow of water through system making it recirculating.

3 Likes

Oops I cant fix post. Ignore the undercurrent being a brand name. Was daydreaming of my current culture system as I wrote that i guess.

3 Likes

@BetrayedSoul under culture is a brand name, under current refers to the flow of the system.

A rdwc uses return pipe to all the flow of solution to all pails

A under current/ sub current system uses a inline pump to create a draw throughout the system and returns it to the reservoir

1 Like

Rdwc is any system that recycles is all I was saying. No matter how the water is moved or where pump is. :smile:

I never argued that, I was explaining that an u see current system isn’t a brand name. It’s another step in advancing the rdwc system as its name is under current rdwc.

And how it works.

Yes a UC rdwc system is a rdwc but a rdwc is not a uc rdwc. It also is not a brand but the concept of creating a sub current or draw of the solution to create the most even and consistent ph and Ec while adding oxygen to the solution as well.

1 Like

LoL ok. Missed the point.

Happy Easter all !!

1 Like

Happy Easter!!! Nothing but love! I also know @BetrayedSoul runs a current culture system and it looks slick AF!

I use a home made rdwc and it is awesome.ive got 22 buckets running right now and I use 1/2" supply to each side using a blue drum for the resivior and I pump the water to the first bucket in the row and connect each bucket with a 1 " pvc drain by daisy chaining them and finally they drain into a tote where I pump the water back into the drum. Peace of cake. Im harvesting 3 to 5 lbs every 8 weeks .

6 Likes

Here’s an update on my home grown rdwc system. This picture is just 16 days later

2 Likes

Mines sole purpose is to save me from watering so much because they are drinking 5 gallons a day and with my resivior I can fill it up and run it atleast a week before having to refill. Other than that it doesn’t serve much of any other purpose.

1 Like