Any idea what this damage is?

Hi all

Have some photos here of some damage that appears only on the leaves, buds look nice inside and out mostly, but on closeup I did find 3 of the bug shown below:

Is this safe to harvest and use when ready, or should I bin it?

1 Like

You can use Captain Jacks Dead Bug safely in flower and just do a bud wash before hanging to dry.

There’s a bunch of videos on YouTube with different methods. I’ll let you explore and pick your method. I just keep it simple with 2 buckets myself.
After last summers grow and wash I’ll never smoke outdoor grown weed without doing one again though! LOL!

4 Likes

I think it’s an aphid. Good luck!

3 Likes

@CurrDogg420 and @Tylersays have you covered.

I have experienced the white dots of death from spider mites.

Besides CJDB you can spray with a 50:50 isopropyl water solution or try one of many essential oils (rosemary, pine, mint, tea tree etc) 1/4 tsp to a quart of water plus a couple drops of liquid dishwashing detergent. I use Dr. Bonners.

Just rotate treatments since they seem to become immune after a few generations (I don’t know if this is a fact but I could not kill them off this grow and lost four plants using only one approach).

Use the search function and you will find many treatments for aphids and spider mites.

Definitely do a bud wash.

Good luck to you!

3 Likes

thanks everyone, I will do a bud wash for sure, prepping buckets right now. I appreciate the advice. I actually cut half of this one down today so I will just skip spraying that since it is already hanging and just do a wash on it I guess?

I’ll spray the other half of the plant that is still in ground and then wash when I bring that in :slight_smile:

Thanks all!

2 Likes

I’ve also microscope inspected the branches I pulled in already and I couldn’t even find any bugs at all, checked a ton of buds, the buds themselves look delicious :smiley: so maybe I’m lucky and it is just leaf damage

3 Likes

another note too, there seems to be ZERO webbing anywhere on the harvested half or the remaining plant… only visible things are the white spot damage and a few seemingly dead bugs (I have found a total of 3, and all were on the same leaf (the one above)… maybe I got lucky!! haha

(still washing, just, I don’t think it’s that bad fingers crossed)

2 Likes

@greenblood you have spider mites and that’s not good if you have any other plants around they will have them also it’s difficult to treat when they are in flower because if you try to treat what ever you use it going to stay in the buds neem oil work well treat ever 2 to 3 days for couple weeks

1 Like

We have used dr brommers as well with no bad affects on bud quality or taste. We were overrun with aphids. Those white specs dont seem like aphid damage. We now just put ladybugs in the tents and all bugs are eated quickly.

3 Likes

@Reed71, @Allinherhead I was looking at this, I think it’s an aphid. Bastages eating the trike!! :face_with_symbols_over_mouth:

3 Likes

Fucking Russett mites!! You have to make sure to clean your grow area well after or you’ll never forgive yourself. Those things are a horrible horrible pest.

3 Likes

Is it an aphid…I thought it was a russet mite

3 Likes

Wow!!! I havnt seen them on trichs theyre usually concentrated on stalks. Im not tryin to be bossy in any way but you can spend day after day spraying and spraying ofr just order ladybugs from amazon and in a couple days all bugs aphids ,mites whatever the ladybugs will find them and eat them.and if ya get a lil ladybug house and food you ca move them into every grow and never have to worry about bugs again.

4 Likes

Hey thank you all so much for the extra replies!

Glad to identify them as aphids… so, wash or no wash - the most important thing I want to confirm is are my buds safe to harvest and use? The only damage I see is on hte leaves, the buds themselves look great and I’ve put a few branches under a microscope and only found a few of the aphids. Am I good??

Thank you all so so much, sincerely. One of the best forums on the internet, easy.

And Allinherhead… I never knew you could get a ladybug house I am looking into that NOW, sounds amazing!!

3 Likes

@CurrDogg420 your right i see his eyes now when zooming in on spider mites or russet mites you can’t see there eyes like you can a aphid

2 Likes

Yes, however if you did use the bug spray, then you must wash.

You said you already harvested? It looks like you still had a lot of clear trikes, so it won’t be as potent and the flavor will not be fully developed. It might make for better edibles than smoke to be honest. Keep a couple of the nicest top buds for smoking maybe, they should have been the most mature.

2 Likes

Hi! sorry for the delay.

Yes I chopped the top half, and am doing the rest in a week, having weather issues at the end unfortunately, but I’m happy with anything from this one, had no issues in the rest of my garden :slight_smile:

Appreciate the feedback!