Any idea what kind of bug is it?

Was processing and found these creatures, in bud rot sections. Apparently applications of Bt and spinosad did not take care of that. It was on several buds limited to only 1 plant. Just wondering what kind of pest it is

Never saw those before. My guess is some type caterpillar.

Yup…I’d bet it’s in the caterpillar some where. That just looks like a pretty bad infestation of whatever they are.

So I take it the plants are outdoors.

1 Like

I think he is referring to the small orange things.

1 Like

Well of course he is @AAA. It looks to be in a larvae stage. Maybe contact a local college or university with a Entomologist and see what they say.

1 Like

Once you have any kind of rot or infection, that starts breaking down the organic material and other pests can attack. Remove dead or dying leaves and damaged buds so they do not continue to decay. I hope you are also spraying with hydrogen peroxide 3% in a 2:1 or 1:1 solution.

1 Like

I did spray with peroxide for bud rot

Accept some loss. Cut out the bad parts.
On a positive note, the bugs can sense the very best buds.

1 Like

The easiest way I’ve found to keep catapillars off is to cut about a 1 inch section of a plastic bottle to make a ring and then put the ring around the base of the stem, the catapillars can’t get over the ring so they can’t get on the plant. Running into the ring steers them around the stem.

2 Likes

Some caterpillars such as japanese inch worm and tent caterpillars para troop onto the plants. Although they do begin the trip to their base jumping operations from the ground also. It would seem the larvae in the photo are attracted to the rot and are likely that of a fly not a moth or butterfly.

1 Like

Looks like wire worms

2 Likes

This year I am using incect screen over my plants. No way they are getting in!

1 Like