Ants problemmmmm

Can ants be a problem? Yesterday i transplanted 1 plant and puted some dry peat from other empty pot and today i can see that ants had built a tunels around the plant. Is there any risk?

1 Like

Never had that issue so not sure. What i do know is ants produce ammonia where the leave large amounts of excrement. Not sure how that effects roots in cannabis.

1 Like

Google says they add nutrients and keep every other critter away doesn’t sound bad. Like security guards.

2 Likes

Ants farm aphids like we farm cows.

If you notice them in your plants, most likely that’s what they are doing. They move them around the plants to colonize different areas.

Also they will defend the aphids like farmers defend their cows.

1 Like

I didnt know that!

1 Like

Apparently the ants love the honeydew that is a by product of the aphids sap sucking activity. One thing I do know, the ants might be beneficial but the aphids are not so keep an eye open for little white exoskeletons all over the place. They look like dead bugs

1 Like

Does it depend on the type of ants?

@HerbGrower if they are supporting aphids you’ll want to rid the aphids from the plants…no aphids than not sure if they are an issue but if you do want to kill the colony take a small lid or such thing and get some borax and mix with some pancake syrup or sugar and water and mix it up…will attract the ants…they will feed and take back to queen and after a couple 3-5 days they should be handled.

2 Likes

Happy cannaversary @Davyg

3 Likes

Thank you :scream::sunglasses:

2 Likes

I know the ants in the uk do the aphid farming thing. Not sure of other areas

2 Likes

Good question, not sure.

And never heard your borax method, nice…

1 Like

Do they look like white dots kinda evenly spaced apart with the surrounding leaf area browning?

No, they dont live there anymore :smiley: