Another newbie nute burn question

I noticed the very tips of my current plant turning brown a few weeks ago. I’ve been using fox farm nutes at 1/2 strength, (grow big). Tap water tested with drops was around 7-7.5. Used ph down to get it below 7 (5 drops/ gallon). Lower leaves were turning yellow, but I’ve always seen this with this strain.
I stopped all nutes, and just used water. Today I used 1/2 strength tiger bloom and came home to this.

They were yellowing, but now it’s gone to the next level. I’m planning on flushing her tomorrow. Sorry for the blurple pics but I just managed to snap them before lights out.
ILGM Support Ticket:

What is the strain - bag seed.

Indoor or Outdoor? Indoor

in ground or in a container? Plastic Container

Size of space (max height and area, length/width)? Open room

Soil or Hydro? Soil. Fox farm ocean

pH? Of the soil or medium (root zone/reservoir/run-off) and of the water and/or nutrient mix that is fed to the plant? Crappy tool reads 6.5

Type and strength of nutrients used? NPK? EC/TDS/PPM levels? Of what you feed it as well as what is in the water by itself and in the soil/medium (run-off), or reservoir. 1/2 strength fox farm. No nutes for 2 weeks.

Temperature? 65-70f

Humidity %? Day vs. night 60% ±

Light system/watts/lumens/FLUX/PAR? Meizhi 450 reflector at 20"

Ventilation system? Oscillating 16" fan

Number “weeks/days” from into Season, Vegetative Growth or
Bloom/flowering? 3+ weeks into flower. 12 weeks veg.

3 Likes

@Drinkslinger

1 Like

@Drinkslinger

First I want to welcome you to ILGM

OK…is there anyway that you could post pic’s in natural light.
Because I can’t tell by those pictures.

Thank you
Will

5 Likes

Let me just say while waiting for pictures that a decent ph meter is the number 1 tool used. Drops and strips suck. Invest in a meter and you will see a big difference in your grows. Probably a nutrient deficiency but easily could be brought about by incorrect ph.

Garrigan is the best: he’ll fix you up.

6 Likes

A decent ph tester is on my list. I bought the drops because I thought they’d be adequate.

It’s supposed to be sunny today. I’ll take some natural light pics when the light cycle begins.

Should I wait on flushing the soil?

2 Likes

I would wait to flush if you can’t correctly calculate pH. I only pH the last gallon that I run through the soil when I flush but being able to correctly pH the water for a flush restores harmony at the root zone.

2 Likes

Any recommendations for “affordable” ph pens? I ve seen this one mentioned here.

https://www.amazon.com/Apera-Instruments-Economic-Waterproof-Accuracy/dp/B01ESYG6X8?tag=greenrel-20

3 Likes

I have that one and it’s fantastic.

@Drinkslinger the PH meter I would recommend and it’s not to expensive is the HM Model 55 it comes with calibration fluids both 7.0 and 4.0 and it is also factory Calibrated :v:.

Some current pics in sunlight

the plant to the right is a clone from the “sad” plant. No nutes, no adjusted water. She seems quite happy.

3 Likes

@garrigan62. I may have found my problem, or at least part of it. I ran a gallon + of 7ph h20 through the soil. Testing the runoff gave me this. I know drops aren’t perfect, but it seems REALLY low.

2 Likes

@Drinkslinger that is way too low. I was using the same thing you are using to test pH for my first few grows. It will work in a pinch, but a digital meter is best. If you are in soil, you want your pH to be 6.5.

1 Like

@Drinkslinger

OK your P H is way out and I mean way out of whack.

This is where it should be…6.5 or 6.8 that’s what that pic is.

You want to ame right where it starts to turn greenish yellow 7.5 going in and check what the run off is.
I’m sure your going to take a few flushes cause your way to orange. your like 4.0 range you want your run off at 6.5

4 Likes

I use that one, and I love it.

1 Like

@garrigan62 You’re not kidding. As soon as I tested it, I was like, “whoa, no wonder she’s not happy”.

Are you saying I should flush with 7.5ph? My tap water is right about 7ph (a tiny bit higher). I plan on flushing again tomorrow.

Any thoughts, other than operator error, about why the ph was so low in the runoff?

And thank you all. :+1:

Not positive why your run off was so low, could be a build up of salts from the nutrients. I know it’s recommended to flush your pots a few times throughout the grow. I flush mine once during vegg, once when I switch over to flower, once when I cut out grow nutrients during flower and then before harvest

And yes, I believe he was saying to water with 7.5 water and check run off. In theory, right now your roots are at 4 water with 8 pH and then it should go up to about 6

1 Like

This is my first indoor grow. First time with fox farm soil/nutrients. I suppose Mother Nature (we get a lot of rain) took care of that for me in the past.

The good news is im a hobby addict and love learning.

@Drinkslinger hey there, yes flush with 8.0 and maybe a couple of times, but I think you should keep a eye on your PPMs or Parts Per Million with is what tends to measure the amount of nutrients that are in your soil for your Plant, but with that said if you do not get you Ph up your Plant will not be able to uptake any nutrients definitely till you get it back up over 6.0 and between 7.0 hope that you get it back :v:

I’d be bummed if she didn’t get better, but if worse comes to worse I can always use her for butter.

This strain isn’t anything I feel is worth continuing, It’s just what I had on hand. I’ve got some other seeds that I’m looking forward to on the next grow, ( pineapple haze and granddaddy purple). I truly can’t wait for the GDP.

1 Like