Another Newbie Here - Can You Check My Equipment

Hey all. Love the forum and support.
I just found this site and for the first time felt confident enough to buy seeds. I’ve been wanting to grow for some time. So after ordering the seeds and Plant food I ordered a bunch of supplies. I’m just not sure if I got the right supplies. Here is my list:
Winado 4’ W x 4’ L X 6.5’. H Grow Tent
Hydro Crunch 600-Watt HPS
VIVOSUN 4 Inch 190 CFM Inline Fan with Speed Controller, 4 Inch Carbon Filter

I got FOXFARM Ocean Forest potting soil to place in the bottom 1/3 of the pot and
FOXFARM Happy Frog potting soil mixed with Vigoro 2 cu. ft. Organic Perlite for the rest. I’m planning on using 3 gallon pots.

My Blue Dream seeds arrive last night and a few are in a cup of water germinating.

2 Likes

Overall, your equipment list looks OK. Keep an eye on temperature in the tent. HPS produces a lot of heat and you may need another fan or a larger fan. You will also want a TDS meter and a pH meter. Also start thinking about what line of nutrients that you want to use.

7 Likes

Sounds like your off to a great start, get two thermometers one digital and one old school with humidity gauge.

4 Likes

I’ve got a 6" inline fan to bring in air but I don’t like it because it’s loud. I’m looking for something else. I do have a Hydro Crunch - Soil Moisture Light pH Meter 3-in-1 Soil Tester Kit. Do you think that will do?

1 Like

Those 3-in-1 devices are not useful for measuring pH. They are barely any good for measuring soil moisture and light levels. Many of us (including myself) got those when starting out. It turned out to be totally useless for me.

5 Likes

I would add some florescent t5 full spectrum to enhance your lighting for veg.

1 Like

@Merlin44 What do you recommend?

1 Like

I will tag a couple of folks that can help with recommendations for EC and pH meters.
@dbrn32 @AfgVet @Flitme @Myfriendis410 @MattyBear

Edit: I think that Apera makes a decent pH meter and any of the low cost EC meters on Amazon should do.

4 Likes

Don’t forget to get calibration solutions for your EC and pH meters. Without calibration you won’t know whether your readings are accurate or not.

2 Likes

@LateNightGardner - I found these on Amazon. Would they be a better light option?
SZHLUX Grow Light 2FT 80W (2×40W) Full Spectrum LED Grow Light, Linkable Sunlight Plant Light for Indoor Plants, Grow Light Strip, Grow Lamp with On/Off Switch - 2 Pack

2 Likes

I like Blue Lab products. They do cost more but I’m still using the same meters I started with three years ago and they’re dead on.

9 Likes

They are expensive but I love my Blue Lab and Extech meters. Because I went with those I have several hundred in meters. :grin:

4 Likes

Everyone else will likely too. We just got it over with all at once :rofl:

7 Likes

Indeed! :rofl: :man_mage: :crazy_face: Top drawer for Mrs Merlin for sure. :grin:

4 Likes

agree with @merlin44 a 4 inch fan using HPS lighting is probably going to be to small if you want quietAC infinity fans are about the best

6 Likes

I would find a simple horticulture led blue light bar to had some of the blue spectrum to your HPS fixture you have on your list.
Here’s a comparison of an HPS bulb and full spectrum led grow light.

Quantum efficiency lighting curve

The McCree curve is a quantum efficiency lighting curve used in botany and should be used only as an initial foundation for understanding photosynthesis rates by wavelength. It is far more accurate than charts for chlorophyll dissolved in a solvent or charts for green algae, and it is common for these charts to get mixed up.

Here’s the spectrum for a t5 full florescent

If you are looking for a good full spectrum horticulture light I use Hyphotonflux HPF4000 LED Grow Lights 4x4 ft Flower Coverage with Samsung LM301B Diodes & MeanWell Driver, Dimmable Daisy Chain Commercial Grow Light Bar, Enhanced Red Full Spectrum 3000k 4000k 660nm

I’ve had some good luck with it.

4 Likes

Thank you for the Tag @merlin44

I have the apera Ph meter. I have no complaints. I know the blue lab is a great meter too. :blush::v:

2 Likes

@LateNightGardner - Do you think I should just box up the HPS light and order the HPF4000? I don’t need both do I?

Yep. The HPS is gonna need lots more cooling and is used mostly for flowering. The HYPHOTONFLUX HPF4000 is full spectrum and will provide more light and in rhmmthe spectrum for your full grow cycle.

I relegated mine to spare. AC-Infinty T6 50%noise of Vivo6 inch

Watch the AC-I videos, the quiet is priceless. I can exist in the lung room and not picture the JET SHOP.

1 Like