Another new bug today. Lacewing?

Checking the plants and saw this guy. First time. Think its a lacewing?
Difficult to take pic. Pic with leaves is in top third, right of center.

3 Likes

I believe it is. Let’s ask @Lacewing

4 Likes

Thanks for tagging @oldmarine
@ertert
Absolutely is a green lacewing

3 Likes

Does having one or more of those mean that there are pests on your plants that they are eating? Is it beneficial to our plants?

1 Like

They are beneficial to your plant …
The adult does eat the pest insects also …but I believe if she eats anything on the plant she lays eggs …
It is her young that do the real damage to the pests …
I also think they will just lay eggs on any plant …
I haven’t had pest issues in months and they are still laid on my plants …multiple times a week

I actually feel bad because today is the last day of one of my plants life …and this morning I found 2 lacewing eggs on it …

I think it’s too much time to try and cut the leaf off and zip tie it to the stalk of the other plant …the leaf will curl up before the eggs hatch

2 Likes

Another sure fire way to tell is their eyes …
They have very unique eyes …and the wings …I don’t even think another insect exists with those wings …
And thier eggs
No other insect lays eggs on a stalk like that

1 Like

I still have some aphids. The Google says Lacewing larvae eat them. Would you recommend me buying some and putting them to work?

1 Like

Hell yes
I’d say go with minute pirate …
But they are more expensive
This is an actual pic from my yard garden

the egg she lays turns into this brown and white bug you can see it eating an aphid here

3 Likes

What I read just says aphid… I don’t see any, not one on my plants. Only in the soil. Think they will go hunting for them?

1 Like

I can’t say for sure …but I don’t think so …
These mainly roam every crevice of the plant

2 Likes