Another first timer

You will need to wait until the container feels light then water to runoff, then go off the weight of your container and how the plants are looking. You can then take your PH and PPM run off measurements, just to see if your feeding enough or to much. You can do this normally when the leaves reach the containers edge.

2 Likes

Yes @Hungrybud I do ph always between 6.3 and 6.6 or 7 except first 2 times when starting. But no ppm still working on that I guess. Do you think that’s where the spots come from?

Trying to get the by weight watering down, I just think I let it get to dry.

Checked on the plant today to see if its time to water and I noticed the leaves on the bottom are getting worse

Very brittle tips crumbled when I touched em. The other plants are yellowing on the same leaves but not as bad. Wondering what that could be and how to fix. Or just cut it off.

Thanks for any help

When did you last water them?

I watered lightly 3 days ago and to run off 2 days before that

Just an update on my little garden.
I cut off the dying leaves on the bottom I was asking about above, tips laying in soil I don’t think that’s good.
My plants are not growing very fast tall or bushy. Its gotta be the watering. Im letting my soil get to dry. When I stick my finger in it comes out clean if it was moist some would stick to my finger Seems like I would of figured that out earlier. Trying to get used to the weight to water more often. The plastic pot is growing the most which makes me think the smart pots are airing out a lot quicker. Wasn’t smart to use different type pots for my first time shoulda went with all plastic or smart.
I planned on just letting them grow out without any training for my first time but ive been overdosing on information so I decided to do some LST. Probably didn’t need it they were only about 8in tall but now im experimenting with everything.
32 days old

I also tried to top and fim

2 days ago
The topped one popped off by hand pretty easy and the fim I just cut and hoped. We will see how it goes.
Gonna start the fox farms nutes schedule this weekend 1/2 strength once a week. Going through the full schedule so in veg for about 30 more days then flipping over. Still don’t know if female

Always water between 6.2 and 6.8 but when I checked the run off for the first time it was 5.8. So should I just keep watering at the higher end of the ph scale?

Also should I mist the plants everyday?

@Hungrybud @BobbyDigital @monkman @dbrn32 @Dman1969 @Unkindtay @miller97 @elheffe702 Sorry to tag yall out the blue but I was looking for any help or input I could get.

Thanks again in advance

I wouldn’t mist the plant. The fabric pots do dry out quicker. The other benefit of fabric pots is it’s harder to overwater since the roots can pull oxygen through the fabric. Ocean Forrest is a little acidic and it likes to sit around 5.9-6.1ph. There were quite a few times I had to water at 7.2 to bring it up. My pots would dry up like clockwork two days after watering. It would take a gallon to get my 20% runoff early on and as it got later in flowering it would take 1.5-2 gallons.

6 Likes

Thanks @BobbyDigital. I was so paranoid about over watering I would wait 3 sometimes 4 days to water and they would be so dry. Every other day for the last week seems better
And will water at 6.8 next few times see if that helps the runoff

It wasn’t every other day. Say I watered to runoff on Monday, the soil would be dry and need more water on Thursday. I couldn’t do the “weigh the pot” trick as my plant was in a scrog. I got a cheap soil moisture meter and when it read in the dry area I watered. It was always two days after last water/feed. Even after flushing the plant, two days later it was dry. This is the cheap 3way meter (the ph probe is useless, that’s why it’s bent up)

3 Likes

Sounds like you’re on to it. I also would nix the misting. When you water, water to a little bit of runoff. Then it should be a couple days before they dry out.

1 Like

Thanks for the help guys much appreciated

@BobbyDigital I got one of those meters helps take out the guessing thanks a lot

So I started fox farms trio nutes feed schedule at 1/2 strength and about a 1ml of Rootamentary (got a sample from hydro store) I planned on once a week but I got greedy and fed twice in the week. And Im trying some LST bending some branches to get more light in

40 days old

like is said I think I got greedy feeding twice in the week at 1/2 strength. I figured its like one full feed (maybe it was idk) The ppms going in about 250 but the ppms after was in the 1700s with a ph 5.2 in the plastic pot and 1290 ph 6.2 in the gray. Im learning now that’s pretty high, but is it terrible or just not good?

So what now?
I plan to just water a few times ph 6.8 to 7 and see what happens unless I learn something different

thanks again all

Alright I messed up on the ppms before. I didn’t clean the trays with the runoff so the water and stuff that evaporated from the last feeding added to the new and ran the numbers up

Today when I just watered I cleaned 2 of 3 trays as an experiment. The clean trays measured about 680 and 770, the other was like 2700 so im sure that’s what it is

Im still not sure about this ppm stuff and exactly where its pose to be but that sounds better then before I hope. So the lesson for today is clean trays before measuring ppm. Sounds like common sense but im an idiot

Thanks for the help

Quick question about my lights @dbrn32

I have a hlg qb 260 running at full power moving between 12 and 20 inches from top of plant. What would you recommend as the best height and do you think it needs full power?

thanks again

1 Like

I usually suggest flowering with them around 16" or so. There’s a few situations maybe a little higher. Ideally you make your increases gradual and be around full power about 2-3 weeks after going to 12/12.

1 Like

Thanks @dbrn32

Ive had the lights on full power since transplanting to the 5 gallon pots. Was that overdoing it? Could I have did all veg with them turned all the way down or half way?

1 Like

Depends on height really. But there’s usually not any reason to veg at full power unless light isn’t really big enough for the space.

2 Likes

Thanks that’s good to know for next time.

1 Like

Whats up everybody just a update on my first ever garden. Its going fairly smooth so far just trying to keep em alive and stay patient.

Yesterday I fed again with the Fox Farms trio plus Boomerang. I fed full strength according to the schedule. Last week I fed at half strength twice now I went full and will just water in between. Yeah im being greedy but hoping for the best

46 days old
Tallest is about 13in with the bending and LST im kinda trying (broke a small branch earlier so im scared) Im tucking leaves to try and shed some light. Probably doing about 2 more weeks before flipping to flower.
I still dont know if female or male

I forgot which pic is which plant but Can anybody tell anything from these? Thanks for the help

2 Likes

Congrats, it’s a girl!

4 Likes

I think it’s a girl also :sunglasses::v:

1 Like