And they're off

Yeah, there ya go. those are nice. I have a Pyrex 500ml now. Those would make it nicer. Plastic doesn’t affect the solution?

1 Like

This is what I use as a reference for the Jack’s. Thanks @Not2SureYet

3 Likes

Awesome @Capt.Cola and @Not2SureYet Thanks a bunch. Quick question. I’ll post pics later, I’m runnin ragged today. My first one sprouted and all is good with the casing attached. My concern is she’s up to 1 3/4" already and it hasn’t come off. Should I worry? The second one was up this morning at 3 am and was 3/8" high. It doesn’t have it’s casing. It came off somewhere underneath, and I can’t see it. And I ain’t pokin around in the dirt either. Is this ok? I took the pics this morning. I’ll post them ass soon as I get back. Thanks again.

2 Likes

2 Likes

3 Likes

I would gently take the shell off. Sometimes they get stuck but be careful not to hurt the seedling. I have done that once and i had to throw out the plant

2 Likes

Ok, got it. I was thinking of using the tweezers. Close them, stick it in, and let the spring open it. Like piston ring pliers. Thanks.

1 Like

Thank you Sir. It was a tad glued.

3 Likes

Yes tweezers are the tool of choice. Looks a lot happier with that helmet off.

2 Likes

HAHA, this is friggin awesome man. Very educational to watch too. I saw in the guides somewhere where it says you CAN watch your plant grow. Ain’t no bull there, is it?

And @Cap_Ron, thanks for the humidity suggestion. It’s holding between 77 and 80%. Air Temp is ranging from 69-72, and soil temp is ranging from 69.5 to 71.8.

2 Likes

2 Likes

I had a bubblegum do something similar, had to break out the tweezers and get the membrane casing off, once the helmet comes off they grow fast

3 Likes

And it looks like she’s smiling to say thank you.

2 Likes

Mornn guys. I woke up to Yosemitie eyebrows and the Stones “Tongue”. It looks funny.

2 Likes

Seriously though, I’m a little nervous about the first one(stuck helmet) I’m worried it’s a reacher, or stretcher, I don’t remember which one. It’s 2 11/16" . The light is a Spider 1000. I know it’s not enough for 3, I have another one on the way, and on the 3rd I’m gonna order an sf4000. I have it at 22 1/2" above the top of the plant and it’s burning at 60%. I welcome any knowledge. I’m here to learn.

2 Likes

For the seedlings stretching you can use a straw or toothpick as support for the stem

As for the stretch itself, lower the light a little bit, like down to 18” when they stretch like that they’re searching for light so it’s either not intense or not close enough but seeing as how you have it at 60% (I do to on my sf2000) which is pretty strong I’d say lower it first and assess.

But make sure the stem has support, if it toppled over it can seriously f@ck it up

I would drop the light a few inches. Use the back of you hand as a guide. If it’s hot on your hand you are too low. It looks like you pots are pretty full or soil so controlling the stretch is a good idea. If you leave the pots less full you can bury the stems after they stretch like this.Are you using a clear dome for the plants?

2 Likes

I actually want my seedlings to stretch a little bit. I can’t stand it when the lower leaves are really close to the soil. It makes it a pain in the ass to water them. So I let them stretch to about 4" or so, then I use these little soft plant ties to stabilize them until it’s time to transplant. Once I’m happy with their height, I give them more light!

2 Likes

Ok, done, light is lowered to 17.5. Yesterday I put the fan on level 2(out of 12) to get a gentle breeze going to strengthen it as someone suggested. Yesterday she was dancing around about a 32nd(at the top). Today, being longer, she’s movin about a 1/16th back and forth. Is that about right?

Oh, and, no I don’t have a dome over it. Awesome advice about leaving the pot a little MT to add dirt later for support.

I have another question about the seeds themselves. I noticed that there were 2 different textures. Whats the difference between them? Honestly, I didn’t think the light green ones would germinate. So I did one of those first. To my surprise it sprouted in less than 24 hrs, haha, and the ones I thought looked better took longer. I’m interested to hear a little about this.

1 Like