An Outdoor Indoor 1st Grow

Howdy Farmers

Been reading a lot of information on here preparing for my first grow. I appreciate all the knowledge.

I’ve lived in Colorado for 22+ years and have a house plant almost that old. So I figured why not grow my own? After discussing my plan with my wonderful wife, she said ‘fine’. Yipee!

The plan is to grow year round… outside.

Having zero experience growing marijuana, my design came mostly from the allotted space I had to work with under my deck on the side of the house. My mother in law is the only guest to my house that I need to hide from.

The box has insulated 2x4 walls. I stacked 2x4s and cut at 45s to create my vents on the top and bottom that I can close off by reinserting the removed cut 2x4. We’ll see if this is enough for summer time…!

The inside dimensions are 53"x25"x39". The goal is for at least a QP with two plants. Plenty for me.
Already I’m questioning my access (door) situation.

More to come!

3 Likes

Once I completed the box I germinated 1 Green Crack and 1 Harlequin Kimbo Kush indoors under the first light I bought - Viparspectra 600tc (before I found ilgm). Both popped out of the soil on new years day.

10 days old

15 days old

25 days old

Growing slowly but healthy. I used a scale to determine when to water. Definitely would of screwed that up otherwise.

3 Likes

After a month being inside the house it was time to move outside - inside the box. Sure seem small…hey they’re alive still at least.

Couple days later I decide it’s time to cut em after the 4th node.

HKK

Green Crack

2 Likes

Heating duties are handled by this nifty little ceramic heater with thermostat. I think I picked up two for $34 shipped off eBay.

I also had a seedling mat under the buckets when we had temps around 0 degrees fahrenheit a couple weeks ago. Kept temps in the 70s.

4 days after topping I transplanted into 3+ gallon pots using FFHF perlite and Mykos. Prolly shoulda had more time between events but it’s just the way it went.

4 Likes

In the box I’m using an HLG 350 Rspec @ 50% 24".

Two weeks after transplant I did some LST action.

5 Likes

Dies the heaters have a glow to them at all when running. The light should keep it plenty warm when on and at night let it get 10 to 15 degrees cooler in the box. Looking nice tho.

2 Likes

A week after the start of LST.

Green Crack

HKK

3 Likes

No it doesn’t glow but I appreciate you asking as I hadn’t checked.

Here we are on March 7th, 66 days above ground. I’m using AN Connie line at 1/4 strength. Behind schedule but seem to be very healthy. My box is vertically challenged so I decided to flip to 12/12 today. Hope they don’t stretch too much.

Any advice or comments welcomed!
Thanks!

3 Likes

A week after flip seeing some pistils.

4 Likes

My plants appear happy at the moment. But my runoff pH has been dropping with every water/feeding. Should I be concerned? Running Advanced Nutrients Connie line in FFHF. Input is always 6.5.

The ‘pH perfect’ seems to battle me on the watering. Is there other amendments I need to add to soil to bring the pH up? Or just let it ride till the plants tell me something is wrong?

TIA

Harlequin Kimbo Kush
Runoff pH

Green Crack

4 Likes

A few more pistils and my first spots two weeks since flip. Magnesium deficiency? Picked up some Calimagic and will feed some tonight.
Whatcha think master @Hellraiser

4 Likes

Yes looks like they could use some calmag, does not look too bad as you are catching it early.

2 Likes

My first marijuana flowers! Exciting stuff!!

6 Likes

4 weeks since flip

HKK
A beautiful plant that hasn’t given me any issues whatsoever. And smells amazing. This is a 1:2 THC CBD strain

Green Crack

4 Likes

Coming along nicely. I :heart: growing marijuana!

5 weeks since flip

Green Crack

Harlequin Kimbo Kush

3 Likes

6 weeks since flip

HKK

Green Crack

3 Likes

A day shy of 8 weeks since flip. Fattening up nice dense buds.

Harlequin Kimbo Kush

Green Crack

3 Likes

Designing my outdoor grow box without any experience growing definitely created some challenges. One of my solutions came to watering. With my height limitations I welcomed tight node spacing which makes watering difficult. My solution was to use a product called ‘Smart Bottle’. It’s like an IV bag that you can use to gravity feed your plants with. They come in 1, 2.6 & 5.3 gallon sizes and are made in the USA.
Pictured here are the 1 gallon size.

This allows me to water precisely and at any rate my time allows. Open the valve all the way and you can empty the gallon bag completely in less than 20 seconds.

The bags are very well made and double walled. I have no affiliation with them. I’ve watered 15 times so far with this system and find it very handy.

4 Likes