An Interesting Question.... Ok? Or not?

What’s up guys so I have a question that I didn’t really think was going to come about but upon further inspection it has happened. I have about 8-10 plants in 5 gallon pots and while I was away my “babysitter” put them on the ground without raising them off. So as you can probably guess the roots have grown through the bucket into the ground :hushed: :hushed: I found out after I tried to rotate a bucket and felt tension so I put it back before snapping the roots :roll_eyes: :roll_eyes:. So my question is, how is this going to effect my plants and rooting system? Will they be fine? Will they end up choking themselves out? Will Manny ever find out? Tune in next week for this episode of “Son of a B****”

I’m an indoor guy but am trying my hand with 2 autos
Outdoors and am curious as to what the pros tell you. @Hogmaster?

1 Like

I would suggest re-potting them to larger containers -15 to 30 gallons as more roots equal bigger fruits, especially if they’re getting good sunlight…

2 Likes

I would but I don’t have enough room for bigger pots, 5 gal was basically my top off point and now they are growing into the ground through the buckets

The choice is simple. If you can leave them there, great. If not, you’re going to have to damage the roots. I would think they’d handle it fine. I would really pot too if possible.

1 Like

I can leave them there definitely but I just wanted to know if they were possibly going to die off from lack of room for the roots inside the bucket.

Just make sure you have lots of holes drilled into the sides and you won’t have any trouble.

That’s where I’m digging on the cloth pots. I started with buckets but love the felt pots.

2 Likes

I’m using 7 gallon fabric pots, and haven’t had that problem yet!

If you want to be able to move them around, I would deal with it right away as gently as possible. They’re hardy, robust plants, and they’ll deal.

If you’re fine with them where they are, then no worries! :sunny:

3 Likes

The problem you might have is your plants eating from two different sources. One section will be consuming from the soil in the pot itself, but the new roots that are growing into the dirt will be consuming from there.

If she’s not an auto I would personally just rip them out and keep the pots off the ground from this point on. Just my opinion!

:v::evergreen_tree::evergreen_tree:

4 Likes

I would do exactly as @ktreez420 unless they just don’t need to be moved I wouldn’t worry about it leave them where they are and let them go to town apparently they’re happy

4 Likes

i did the same thing so i double the amout of water i give them and mulched around the pots and they love it

2 Likes

Oh yeah my buckets have tons of holes in them all various sizes as well from an inch to 1/8 of an inch including on bottom.

@arpeggio Well I hope you have that problem! Haha well if you don’t need to move them from here or there I guess haha. I’m just gonna leave them cause they’re basically in their permanent home.

@ktreez420 Where they are, I actually conditioned the ground with soils, egg shells, tea bags, coffee grounds, and perlite because I was going to plant a few there originally but ended up having more than what the area could accommodate so it’s pretty decent ground and soil.

@Hogmaster I’m just going to leave them there because that’s basically where they are going to stay until they’re harvested.

@greentree I’ll probably add some sort of mulch or something to keep the area moist because I’m in the desert so I literally have to water everyday because the ground and soils dry up so quick by noon and I give them roughly two gallons a day an even then they all dry up pretty quickly by noon. I just watch their branches for drooping and I feel I’m doing a decent job like… I hope lol.

3 Likes

Man! That’s a Lotta wotta lol!

1 Like

It really is haha but they seem happy so when they’re happy, I’m happy lol

1 Like