An auto, three photos and a clone

Wow.
Yep thats a big job.
There a few strains of apple i dont know there. But some good ol favs too.
Just gotta be careful what you chop cause next season’s grow each cut will sprout 10 new leaders.
Then left for another few years.
Well you can imagine.
Get on dr google and see what shows up.
Be worth the effort to create some structure still plenty of time.
Wouldn’t start cutting til all leaves are off at least
By the look of the photos of your trees a few cuts will most likely be with a chainsaw.

2 Likes

I think you can see that what we did one season was undone 10x when we didn’t follow up.
Now if you would like to see our grapes, they are just as bad. Just need a little motivation, and a time machine. For some reason it is harder to do some things now that we are in our late sixties vs when we were younger.
I think if we break it down into smaller, more manageable sections, we can make some progress.

Happy to break down any of the photos or post additional ones to walk you through what I have done. Often times it is a matter of gaining a common language, or terms, so that when they are used everyone knows what it is.

2 Likes

We were very fortunate to come across our bit of paradise in 1980. Impossible to duplicate now and if it could be, no way could be afford it.

3 Likes

Land is SO expensive now. I grew up on a 100 acre cattle farm and everywhere I’ve lived since then has been a disappointment.

2 Likes

Yes i know the feeling and im only in my late 50’s
Im racing my body clock to get i what i can get done before the old body craps out completely.
Pushed this body beyond its limits over and over.
I not only pruned apple trees i picked apples for 14 seasons.
Always claiming gun picker position.
Along with grapes kiwi fruit.
Thats very kind of you to offer to resend info if needed.
Yes big part is the language and once understood things fall into place a lot easier.
Cheers^

3 Likes

Oh you got bit by the clone bug bad!!! :rofl:
You have some very shapely girls going there! They look fantastic. Clones are such a blast to play with - and you can learn so much so fast!
Eventually I will get into all this manifolding ‘witchcraft’ - it looks amazing to have such strong shaped plants - got to give it a go at some point.
Reading through your blog and all its detail is great: Manifolding for Dummies! :sunglasses: :rofl:
Great work mate - you apply and impart your learning very well. :sunglasses: :+1:

I trimmed up the cuttings, dipped in root hormone and Great White, and stuck them in the soil & peat mix. Watered then in and covered with 7" tall Mondi moisture dome. 12 AK-47 and 6 NL @Budz420

@Hellraiser found my 3 gallon fabric pots and have 10 - good to go if I take that route. Thanks

5 Likes

Thanks for the kind words. Glad you enjoy the posts. I am experimenting with different approaches to see if something sticks. And with each grow I learn more about what seems to work or what I could have done differently.

1 Like

It’s impossible to stop once you start! I keep thinking that after I run my monster clones, I will try some seeds for a change… and then I get an idea on cloning!
I must stop getting ideas! :rofl: :crazy_face:

2 Likes

Hi there @beardless i want to give cloning a go.
I propagate native trees with a hit and miss result.
Have a medium not to compacted.
Free draining give new root sites enough air.
Is coco fibre any good for getting cuttings going?
Take a cutting from the plant near a node remove most leaves leaving a few for photosynthesis and absorbing moisture from the air til roots take at the node site in the medium choosen.
Node dipped in a rooting hormone before put in medium kept in the shade. Dont water soil only mist the remaining leaves.
Is it best to be kept in a dome for best strike.?
Is this the idea?
Am i on the right track?
With native trees its best to get newly formed tips semi hard wood with weed i believe its best to get stock from lower branches during the veg stage.
Cheers

1 Like

All are on point. Re coco fiber - my only question is it only fiber? Is there enough pith? You want the stem firm in the medium. One cutting from 10-14 days ago I shoved into coco took root. Another smaller one I am waiting on. Take a look at post 229 and the photo of the two cuttings. Hellraiser replied with an answer. I followed his instructions for the ones I did this morning.

1 Like

@Arrow help with pruning question please.
This is one side of the topped main stem. You can see I have removed all growth points from the lower nodes and the interior directed leaves. I have followed the rule (my rule) to remove all growth tips coming from an opposite leaf pattern (ie 1-4). In addition, for smaller branches I have removed the growth tip 5. My thinking is that they would hinder the growth of the primary cola. However, with the larger branches I have so far kept the first alternate growth point. Thinking it is robust enough to support it.

I imagine you can guess where I am heading. This is a continuation of the same branch with reference point 5. Should I remove growth tip 5 or, it and the next one?

This branch is a solid 12" long.
Your counsel and guidance is appreciated.

1 Like

Hi brother… Makes no difference really, you are already forcing the nutes towards the main colas. I only worry about that if airflow is impeded and I foresee potential problems. They will however milk some nutes from the main cola, and thus the main cola won’t be as big as it could be. I doubt if the overall harvest weight will differ at all. If looks are a consideration, then chop them by all means. The following photo will be typically what you are going to end up with…:sunglasses::v:

4 Likes

Air movement shouldn’t be an issue. Two fans. One along floor directed at back plants, one on tent post at canopy level plus a 6" intake fan. I could have a tornado in there if I wanted.
I think I will leave them. I grow for my wife and well it all looks the same was it goes through the grinder. Also, I will be using a net and they are low enough that maybe I will be able to spread them into one of the squares.
The extra week of growth has made a huge difference so thanks for that. Also, the one that had the 12 colas by mistake, I trimmed back to 8 and having done that, the rest of the plant is taking off and grew 2 inches in 3 days. This is it now.

That level top is almost intentional. I will save my question about apical dominance for another day.
They start 12/12 at 12:30 this afternoon.
Your the best. Thanks

6 Likes

No problem brother…glad to be of use…your plants look awesome…:sunglasses::v:

1 Like

That’s a very nice looking plant Sir.

Thank you sir. It is the runt but I love it just the same.

2 Likes

Today, day 73, they are going on 12/12 light schedule. Here is a quick rundown of where they are at
Number 3

Some light trimming.

Didn’t have to touch the NL clone

Number 1

Other side

Number 2

Lights out girls,

The tallest point on each is: NL clone 10", #3-8", #1-11", #2-12"
See where they are at after the stretch. The flower clock has started.
Till next time

8 Likes

After the photos were taken I tied down the tallest branches as much as I could. Also, I did a little supercrop on a couple of growth points and bent them toward the center. I debated removing them all together but tried this instead.

5 Likes

Jack herer auto update. Day 86, day 33 flower.

Things appear to shaping up fairly well. The top left cola is about 7" above the frame. They are starting to fill out.
I am not sure why, but the last runoff ph was 7.1. However, I feed at 6.4 to 6.7. I am wondering if it is the root hume or possibly the silica that I have been adding. I have used root hume from day 30 and silica since flower. Stopped both for a couple of feeds to see what happens. a little bit of tip burn so I backed off nute load to 660. Last couple were high 800’s with the last one 1000.
@i_am_a_yeti
Till next time

4 Likes