Ammonia smell in soil

i was using distilled first, then spring water. and at the end of it i said there is no way i can buy water the rest of my life. even using an ro filter still cost money to maintain , and it waste soooo much. not to mention you need to add stuff back into it. in the end i just went to my tap. i fill a bunch of gallon dishes. let them sit open over night to flash of the chlorine. (doesnt take that long, i use to work on pools). then i ph and use it. i figure its been used for years and is fine. also i have insanely hard water. i thought it would cause an issue. but my roots were super healthy. it also mad e it so i didnt need any extra calcium until the last few weeks.go to the tap. i think the pros of the tap water outway the cons

2 Likes

Get a fish tank bubbler brah. I didnā€™t get an RO filter because they are expensive and the filter will eventually need replaced and then stealth I envy the folks that dont have to worry about that in their place.

1 Like

eh. iā€™m gonna go back to my original plan of just filtered tap and ph. i donā€™t think i need to aerate. if i make some tea iā€™ll bust out the bubbler but really trying to follow the instructions i was given as close to possible just to see if their system works. that bag of ammonia soil is sitting outside now. iā€™ll give it a good sniff- may have aired out. i have a transplant coming up and maybe will use it for that. shoulda gotten plenty of air by now. and bugs, o joy.

i donā€™t think i want an RO filter. so far none of the organic methods recommend it and i wonā€™t be able to Ph it anyway.

2 Likes