Amending ffof from first grow?

I want to reuse my ffof soil from first grow. How do I amend it. What do I need to add to it?

It really doesn’t need to be amended, unless you have large amounts of light. I did 1/3 worm castings per volume for mine. @Weedlvr0321
I’m utilizing the Rapid LED fixture.

1 Like

So just add worm casting to make my soil like new or should I just start with new soil?

I recommend starting with new soil. I put it in the yard or fill my flower beds with it.
If you reuse it you could have ph issues starting out. That’s never good starting out.

1 Like

If you’ve completely flushed your grow, had a stable pH throughout and had no pests or mold issues, you can re use it. I’d add perlite and some dolomite lime. It’ll be fairly inert so you’ll have to add nutes from the get go. But…

I just use new ocean forest every time. I tried recycling but decided it was easier just to buy new.

Ive been dumping the old soil in my garden and mixing it with fresh compost for summer veggies.

1 Like

I do the same goes straight to the garden and gets plowed in.

1 Like

I always use new soil for each grow. I do amend new soil (FFHF) with perlite (20%) and worm poo (5 to 10%.)

1 Like

Would you be leaving the soil in their original pots? No till.
Or would you be dumping them out into a container to recycle?
There are ways to accomplish either process.
What are you using for nutrients? All natural organic or the salt based man made stuff?

2 Likes

Another option would be to compost it. Wouldn’t neccesarily help you right now, but you could potentially have a good soil for your following grow.

2 Likes

@Weedlvr0321 I have run the same FFOF soil for almost 2 years straight. I have never ever added amendments. You don’t need to. All you need to do is start adding nutrients about 2 weeks after the plant has broke the surface.

And for the others as we well know I don’t pH at all. I did that enough in Biochemistry and got burnt out doing it. And I grow monster plants in the same old soil under a 12/12 light schedule start to finish.

i think if you are going to rebuild the soil try to get something with low or no amounts of peat… peat will break down and get acidic over time and make your PH almost impossible to control… i make my own soil and resuse many times but i never put any peat into it and it maintains a constant 6.8 with tepid tap water only… no ph down or up needed…

1 Like