Amazon pH pen should I spend more?

I’ve been using this pH pen on my first grow and I hear alot of bad reviews on it but I haven’t had any problems with it at least not that I know of seems to work fine I calibrate every other week and that’s that, does anyone in the community use this same pen and should I upgrade before next grow?

2 Likes

I bought a cheapo one from amazon, I think $13. Each time I’ve calibrated it, it was right on. Until it gives you a reason to spend more money, I wouldn’t. However, being in the saltwater aquarium hobby, I see a lot of vendors have pH and tds pens/ meters on sale for Black Friday so if you’re gonna pull the trigger, now isn’t a bad time to do it. Milwaukee and Hanna are two very good brands.

2 Likes

The problem with a cheaper pH meter they will drift, if you don’t mind chasing the calibration on them every time you use it. Apera Would be my favorite Milwaukee also has good reviews as mentioned .

2 Likes

Good thinking and thank you!!!

1 Like

Get yourself a h/m digital 200. Same price as apera but you can buy replacement probe for them. Love mine

1 Like

Apera makes great products

2 Likes

I used that one before it was ok till it wouldn’t hold it’s calibration and took me a while to figure out what was wrong now i have a apera ph 60 meter it’s 50 or 60 dollars a the probes are replaceable and 10 or 12 dollars it taught me another lesson don’t be cheap on lights and ph meter s and the calibration solutions to calibrate and check it often
I saw a you tube video of people cleaning the probes in a ultra sonic cleaner but dosent tell you what the solution in the cleaner is.

3 Likes

@ThcinKC, I think that we all make the same mistake in the beginning. I know I did and was actually able to return most and upgrade since I was trying to have everything that I needed in my possession prior to getting started

2 Likes

Any suggestions on TDS meters I have one seems to work okay but I only paid 20$

I’m still using my $15 tds meter. No need to go bananas on those.

Thank you I will definitely invest in a better pH meter though just for sound of mind lol

The ph meters do get better as you go up in price/brand. It’s not that they’re more accurate, but they hold calibration a hell of a lot longer than the cheapies. You can see here, they are accurate but, the one on the left needed calibrating on a weekly basis.

3 Likes

I made sure to invest in lots of calibration powders lol Thank you what about a soil pH meter? Do you or have you used one?

1. List item
1 Like

Getting a real soil ph tester will be pricy. You can just do a slurry test or runoff test with your ph meter.

And I hate those powders. That’s another thing good about the apera. It has 7.0 and 4.0 calibration liquid. No mixing crystals in distilled water then tossing it.

2 Likes

I use the $12 PH pen (have 2 of them) and they are fine. I also bought the apera sx620 PH pen recently.
The difference in my experience is that the $12 pens take longer to get a stable reading than the more expensive pens so if you do a lot of PH readings and want to save time you may want to invest in a more expensive one. Both seem to work fine for me. Oh and the apera can withstand a drop in water where the $12 one will be rendered inoperable. I actually have to send back my Apera as the display 3rd digit partially stopped showing and wasn’t calibrating correctly and they have issued a return authorization number to repair or replace. The replacement probes for my pen are about $35 each which equals like 3 cheap pens.
With the $12 meters I use the calibration solution in mason jars and store and reuse it for a time as long as you keep it clean when testing etc and lasts me 4-5 calibrations before dumping and mixing another batch. Use 3 mason jars for the 3 cal solutions. Also allows for a quick check of them to see if still good or I need to recalibrate.

As far as soil PH meter I have 2 of them and they work great. They cost about $50 each and I’ve found they are accurate for me.

Apera and Blue Lab are brands that I have used. Pricey, but worth it.

1 Like

I would never recommend a soil probe tester, unless it’s a very, very expensive and reliable one (digital & high tech).

Thank you for the info I think I’ll just upgrade me pH pen on my next grow and go from there

I just ordered the vivosun ph meter for like $18 they make a lot of other quality products so I figured why would they stop with this one product.

I’m still using the TDs meter that came free with my zero water filter.

1 Like