Am I loooking at thrips? Late flower

I have a fastbuds forbidden runt here late in flower, it’s an outdoor plant. Small black bugs mostly on sugar leaves… are they thrips? I don’t think the plant has much longer to go and there really isn’t much damage. It looks to me like a lot more cloudy trichs than I would’ve thought

1 Like

Looks like black aphid to me

Try to keep posts all together on one thread please. I closed the duplicate.

Thrips are smaller. That looks like the culprit tho.

2 Likes

I was having trouble finding it and would have preferred it be in the auto flower category. I think the problem I’m having has something to do with my iPad

1 Like

@Pinboy
Definitely not a thrip
The pic is much too blurry to positively identify …
Could just be a ground beetle
I have this app called seek by naturalist …it’s free and will identify anything you show it

It’s helped me more than anything

2 Likes

If the pic was more clear ….does look like a black aphid but you should be seeing MANY of them

2 Likes

If it’s an aphid…that could be the momma… start checking undersides of the frosty sugar leaves for what appears to be pepper sprinkled and stuck tk your leaf…look at the bottom branched leaves first…if they’re outright blatant you’ll find them on the top of leaves

2 Likes

I may have multiple issues. Just found this guy crawling on the underside of a fan

Ok now that’s a thrip

4 Likes

@grizZz
For sure
@Pinboy
Here comes the fun….
Try and look up their predators and also see if they are present
If not being you are in flower …I’d order some pirate bugs or lacewings
They’ll all be dead

3 Likes

Also if you see anything like this you have them naturally

Keep an eye out for those eggs too …leave them be and let them hatch

3 Likes

May be an aside, but I thought of lady bugs since they are good at eating undesirable critters. You can actually buy live lady bugs on Amazon.

5 Likes

Man it’s a tough call. Very little damage I can see now and I think it only needs 1-2 weeks to finish. The only thing I have on hand is this garden safe stuff. It worked well for aphids last year and is supposedly safe “up to day of harvest” on vegetables…

@MidwestGuy
I think they are much harder to keep around the lady bugs …
Although they’d be ideal

Woke up to this …this morning

Hung around on my plant for about 20 minutes and split
Doubt it laid eggs

Minute pirates usually will reproduce on your plant if there’s enough food source

Lacewings are sold as eggs I believe and they will hatch and stay around for a while before pupating to adult to find a mate

1 Like

@Pinboy
Lololol Noooooooo PURE EVIL ….

Hahaha I’m joking I just never use pesticides because it kills the beneficial too

2 Likes

And you don’t want to spray that on the buds and that’s where these pests will be looking to go

The new growth where the plant juice is best and the tissue is tender enough for them to suck and crap out kids in place until your plant looks like some version of space invaders

1 Like

Looks like the lady bugs found the critters on their own. Good stuff. I’ve been in this house over 20 years and have had a swarm of lady bugs once or twice. They are certainly welcome in my house.

4 Likes

The predator bugs will protect your plant for up to 4 weeks maybe more if you get minute pirates and they reproduce your flowers would be best protected that way

1 Like

@MidwestGuy
I was really happy to see it .
I’ve really put a lot of effort into attracting all these beneficial insects
And also my plant fell over in the wind cause I forgot to take it off the trolley …

Thank god it turned out completely fine

2 Likes