Am I doing it wrong

Every time I start new seeds I have no problem getting them to germinate. I have always then put the seeds in 4 inch seed starter pots with light warrior seed starter potting mix. . They all pop thru the soil, then always grow 4 to 5 inches tall before the leaves begin to really develop.
Everyone I’ve seen post their new seedling pics on here seem to have very short stems and huge leaves early on. What am I doing wrong? All of mine are really leggy, very tall.
My seeds are all from ILGM, photo. I have ungodly amounts of light, fans, exhaust.
I usually have to bury at least half of the stalk when I move them to their final home in 7 gallon pots. Is this normal?
So far after I transplant them they do really good.
Any suggestions would be appreciated.w

1 Like

Try to lower your lights for less stretch.

2 Likes

Depending on what lights you’re using. If it’s not very intense it needs to be about a foot away. If it’s something like I use for seedlings (200 watt 4000k) then I keep them 18-24”.

Pepe

2 Likes

I agree, most likely an issue with light intensity or spectrum. What are you using for light?

@dbrn32 In past grows I was using a pair of ESC 300 fixtures. Like I said earlier they did a great job of producing finished product. I am currently using two HLG 600 v2 R-spec kits I ordered directly from HLG. I have them dimmed down to 50% output@ 24 inches above seedlings.
I just feel like I am losing, maybe a better term would be, adding time to the length of the veg period. Does that make sense?
Thanks in advance for anymore feed back or suggestions!

1 Like

I forgot to mention, all my lights, ESCs and HLGs are 3000 spectrum.

Those are all pretty big lights. Undoubtedly can start seedlings, but bigger than most use. I would try either kicking them in the pants a little or try using a smaller light with a lot more blue in spectrum.

2 Likes

@dbrn32 kicking them in the pants? Meaning?
Yes I know the HLGs are a lot of light, haha. But I ordered them to try something new and different from my ESCs. The HLGs showed up sooner than expected after ordering them and I couldn’t resist putting them together. So then of course had to fire them up. I am actually only running one of them at 50% right now in seed stage.

1 Like

Sorry, I just meant turn them up a little.

No need to apologize, I thought maybe you were referring to nutes. I did turn up the lights to about 70%, I am still looking at 5 inch stalks and 1/2 insurance wide leaves. They are falling over.

1/2 inch span leaves, sorry