Am I crazy? 🤔 Soilless medium? That needs watering everyday

So I know this might sound crazy to some peoples but I love working my garden. I’m wondering if someone could point me in the direction of a soilless medium. That would require daily or every other day watering. I don’t want to do a hydro setup yet. But I love the idea of the plants holding less water and getting to feed and water more often. Any ideas?

1 Like

Sounds like you’re looking for coco coir. I use a mix of 70% coco coir and 30% perlite. Perlite aids in drainage. You’ll definitely be watering daily once your plants are established.

6 Likes

Yup coco is the best , peat moss retains to much water for daily waterings , and lastly use fabric pots for extra breathability

3 Likes

Promix HP is my preferred soilless medium (peat and perlite) but is a non-renewable resource and much more expensive than coco. Both require daily watering/feeding.

3 Likes

Depends on who you ask but it is a widely held believe that the absence of soil is inherently hydroponic. I am not among those but I’ve heard it enough to know it’s a way of thinking.

I agree with others, coco coir is the way to go soil/hydro hybrid. You could use hydroton or leca, but you’d find yourself needing to water multiple times a day or set up a drip/spray irrigation system at which point you may as well just go full hydroponic. Coco inherently has a bit of water retention (I’ve started using FloraFlex coco, which is about 60% moisture retention) and dries almost daily. So it takes daily attention and care, but the results are similar to a fully hydroponic setup.

Honestly, I still prefer fully hydro - it’s self-regulating. But right now I’ve got a coco and autopot setup, and it gets the job done with very little attention too.

2 Likes

I use canna coco coir bricks. You get 8 bricks that split in 2 for $80 and its almost 50 gallons rehydrated. I work my way up to watering daily. When they are small and for about the 1st month they are every couple days then things ramp up quickly

2 Likes

Thank you

1 Like

This is off topic but I’ve seen you on here on other post. I recently sowed a couple auto seeds. They came up through the dirt last week. I’ve had them domed and just misting them. And spraying water a couple inches away. When can I put them under my HID light? There sitting under a T5 now.

1 Like

I know it wasn’t aimed at me but I’d leave ‘em under mild light for 2 weeks or so, then introduce em to the HID. :v:they’re busy laying the groundwork for the roots right now, best to keep constant light on em so they can be energized, but not overwhelmed.

1 Like

I agree with what graysin said above. They arent ready for that much light yet as they are laying down roots still. They are looking good tho keep up the good work

1 Like

Thanks man

1 Like

Thanks you

1 Like

@503KING no problem and thanks for the tag. I don’t always know the answer but i usually know someone who will lol

@BigCat420 @Graysin @HippieRunner1
So my dos-si-do auto’s are 17 days old are they in track or small? I have the one small one it looks a little mutated. Also should i move them into the 1000w MH light? They are just loving the T5 there under now. The last picture is of my alien kush that is about 13 days old.

1 Like

Does anyone know what the picture one the leaves might be? Some type of Deficiency ? Hot soil? Shouldn’t be hot same soil as the rest. Maybe cal-mag? This is my first grow. 55%RH T-5 H.O.- 4X 1000w HID 85 degrees CO2 1150ppm

@Graysin @BigCat420 @HippieRunner1 also i believe my soil had a hot spot and burned my plant. What should i do? I watered it down and have been fertilizing lighlty. Should i harvest? To avoid bud rot? Will it work itself out?

For 17 days thats some pretty good growth id say! N im not too sure about your plant in flower. Id say try to get some runoff ppm and ph numbers and get back with us. Ive only grown in coco coir with bottle nutes and jacks so im not much help there. I would imagine it would work itself out but id wait for more experienced members to chime in