Aluminum plate heat sink

Was just reading the thread on eb strips, looks like the way to go for me

1 Like

Ah 560* im learning

1 Like

Its crazy efficient. He just broke down product numbers and helped me better find parts on my journal. Do you want a tag to our ‘layman’s’ convo?

Or jump from here

Around January or February of this year on the journal shows my EB strip build @graf.

1 Like

These are eb gen 2 on 700ma driver (14 of them). And measured they’re just shy of 15 watts per strip. The gen 2 strip dropped nominal voltage to 19.5 from the 24v of the gen 1 strip. So even at the same current power level is a little lower. To top it off, this particular driver current output was way over the nameplate rating almost 800ma. I haven’t had a meanwell driver like that in a while.

1 Like
  • or - 10% on electronic components, probably…lol.

We need to have this conversation re: Brian and his wants. Sounds like we could put 4 of the gen 2 560’s on each of my 6" heatsink material (1 1/2" X 6" X 1/8" wall). I have 3 24 watt per at it’s densest with temps around 100 F.

Maybe even 5 per…

2 Likes

Been reading “lets talk about …” . I think my head is going to explode.
Lets start with my existing 18 x 24 aluminum plate, load it up with 18 BXEB- 560 strips,
power with 2 HLG-185H drivers. $120 for the strips, $93 for the drivers, 213 bucks for 360 watts, yes? Resize the tent down to 27" x 36" and I’m at 50 W/SqFt. And, if I run out of something to do, I’ll start gluing aluminum nails…

1 Like

Don’t do that lmao!

There’s absolutely no reason to have this kind of lighting at 50 watts per square foot. Shoot for something like 30 watts per square foot without over driving them and you’ll be gtg! Not the best driver strip combo for doing that anyway. Like I said, 200ish watts got pretty warm on 24”x16” plate.

2 Likes

Lemme go look at drivers. He wants dimming no matter what right?

1 Like

So, better to drive the strips at 700mA?
My neighbor can supply me with off-cuts of 1/4 and 1/8 aluminum and shear them into strips. Break out the thermal epoxy

1 Like

Not necessarily. I just feel like going to that kind of power on that size piece of aluminum would be a mistake. You’d definitely want a fan blowing over it.

The good news is that you don’t even need the thermal epoxy. Amazon sells rolls of double sided thermal transfer tape you can just peel and stick. 25m roll is like $13, some of the best money I’ve spent.

1 Like

Again i followed the convo. :smile::joy::smile:

2 Likes

5- 560mm strips on this guy at 700ma.

Edit… those would be gen 2. The gen 1 strips would be 4.

1 Like

Pretty sure: @Not2SureYet dimmers for your lights? Or mount the drivers outside?

I’m just worried about too much weight hung in the tent. My setup has about 50 pounds of heatsink up there lol.

2 Likes

Found these earlier lol

3 Likes

They would fit on the b model too, A just comes first when scrolling the part numbers.

Oooooooo shiny metal :heart_eyes::heart_eyes: strips + reflector = better light? (Stupid maybe)

1 Like

They’ll equal a higher par level under the light anyway. A little extra surface area for cooling too.

And higher par for my lil diy project is essentially cheating. Ill take it. Question is. If i put them on the 12x12 or 12x 16 does it take away space from potentially more light? If so is the extra par worth it?

You can do without the aluminum plate altogether. That same place has aluminum angle cheap. Just bolt/screw/rivet them to some angle to give stability. Then peel and stick strips to the inside of them. You just have to account for making sure there’s enough room to do what you wanna do.

1 Like