Alternative drainage medium? Crushed plastic bottles?

@MedMan1878 I would not use them for two reasons 1 you have no idea what will leach out and be absorbed by your plants! 2 there are other things( clay pebbles, coarse rock, even creek rock,rice hulls) that would work better IMO. I understand tight money can be a problem sometime, but what you are getting in return would be worth the cost of perlite! Hope this helps man!

3 Likes

6 gallon plastic pot…organic potting soil mix…miracle gro natural care organic…plant has been in 3 gallon for over a month and I’m going to go to 12-12 in a week or 2… the last plant I grew was of same strain and I harvested in 90 days from seed so it finishes pretty fast. I wanted to transfer to bigger pot so I could use less fertilizer during flower. I only plan on feeding fox farm a couple times. I’m estimating she’ll be in the 6 gallon pot for 5-7 weeks

2 Likes

Just want to thank u all for your timely insight once again. Before I posted my thinking was that I’ve grown starters in plastic containers from solo cups to 32oz plastic coffee jugs, cut water bottles, and other recyclable plastic food/drink containers…the square plastic starter pots u get wen u buy flowers or herbs at the store is thin dinky plastic similar to water bottles…yet I’m reading that degrading plastic does release toxins in soil of course …when this process starts is the variable at risk…I’ll try this out as an experiment with a back up plant & share what happens! Ah I’m so sick of plastic, it’s everywhere! Earth hates us.

1 Like

I am my Mother’s son when it comes to being practical (she is 91). I recycle my grow soils to our vegetable and flower gardens. I recharge it and bag it for a period of time in the sun before spreading it. I can only imagine how much of a pain it would be to pick out plastic shards from the root ball before I can put it to further use. FWIW. consider perlite or some other type of appropriate drainage material that can reduce weight.

2 Likes