Already planning my second grow

Did not mention clones come with anti bug system lol @Patsbasement

4 Likes

I figured he probably came from the original plants and I don’t mind snakes, my old roommate had a 6 foot boa

2 Likes

@Patsbasement I’m just seeing this post

Did you freeze product first ?
Also try processing with dry ice
I’m planning on did it tonight I’ll post pictures when I do
You’ll get around 70-80 return with dry ice :+1:

4 Likes

The dry ice method worked well for me. I ran the standard three bags (73, 160, 220). For comparison I ran just over 6oz of fresh frozen trim through those three bags with dry ice and yielded 13g, 15g, and 15g respectively for each grade. I probably could have shook longer but it’s a workout. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Hey buds
@Screwauger @bob31 @Countryboyjvd1971 @WillyJ
I been thinking about upgrading my 600hps lights in my 4x4 tent… what would you recommend? Looking for only one unit and not too expensive, please!
Thanks

Are you thinking another HPS or? @Patsbasement

Well the cheapest easiest might be a 1000 watt bulb
Can I just swap it out ? Do I need a new ballast?
@bob31

I defer to @Donaldj who is working on his computer and @Countryboyjvd1971

The other guys you tagged might know as well. I have zilch experience with HPS. :grinning::+1::v::palm_tree:

2 Likes

I am not morally opposed to LEDs, I would consider using them.

@Patsbasement The guys rave about Mehzi LED. I just bought a 400 watt cob led a few months back and dedicated it to my GL SCROG. So on my grow it is the light in the left rear.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01I4NY8KW/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?tag=greenrel-20

@Countryboyjvd1971 bought one and recommended it to me. I have been very happy with the performance thus far!

3 Likes

And one would be enough for my tent? @bob31

1 Like

Are you gonna retire the HPS or keep using it? What size tent are you in? 4x4?

Yes 4x4 …and yes I assume to have only one fixture
@bob31
That one would seem a no brainer if it filled the tent
@bob31

1 Like

That one light isn’t enough for a 4x4 tent.

I believe the formula is 30-50 actual (not equivalent) watts per sq feet

16 sq feet would require 480 to 800 watts total.

At a minimum you would need 2+ of those

2 Likes

@Patsbasement I have only grow indoors using leds
So no hel with hps
@bob31 is on point with the light I think two would be best for you 4x4 tent👍
They also make a 800w version of that light as well you may wish to look at
When sizing leds is actual watts not the rated equivalent watts

2 Likes

Thanks guys
@bob31 @Countryboyjvd1971

1 Like

@dbrn32
Hey welcome to my journal I am John from ma… I have read some of your incredible information you know your lights!
Anywho I am considering upgrading my situation presently 600 hps can I just swap out the bulb to a 1000 hps ? That would be too good to be true…
Other options include @bob31 and @Countryboyjvd1971 recommendation of 2 leds above

2 Likes

Thanks for the invite!

Unfortunately, I’m not aware of any 600 watt ballast that’s rated to run a 1000 watt bulb. Sorry!

As far as led’s that are available for a 4x4, you’re in luck. You have all kinds of options. I see you prefer a single fixture, any other requirements?

2 Likes

Well my budget would be about 200 so the two above would fit that requirement
@dbrn32

2 Likes

Cb and Bob seem to be very happy with them, so I would venture to say that they’re solid lights for the money.

The one thing that would concern me, is that they aren’t going to outperform your 600 watt hid by much, if at all. That being said, I’m somewhere between saying to scoop them up, and maybe trying to save a little more cash.

Let me explain, just so we’re on the same page. LED can and does perform higher on a watt for watt level with hid lighting, however it’s not magic. It’s simply taking a more efficient light source and the benefits of growing under a “full spectrum” light, which is generally easier especially for beginners. But there is no specific ratio that applies to every led. The more efficient your led is, the less power you’ll need to be competitive with hid. However the more efficient the leds get, the price starts to go up comparatively. If you’re looking for 1000 watt hid performance, that’s going to take probabably 550-600 watts of the top leds available. You’re probably looking at $800 minimum for that kind of fixture. If you venture into the diy world, probably $600 give or take. I know, probably not what you wanted to hear.

So back to the light that @bob31 and @Countryboyjvd1971 recommended. The price per performance seems to be pretty good. My understanding is that 400 watt model is about 100 watts actual per cob. That’s pushed a little harder than the average cob which will probably take a little efficiency hit. But it also keeps the cost per watt down. Those guys can probably comment more on performance from experience. Based on the numbers, I would figure about 2 of them to be competitive with your 600 hid, and 3 of them would probably be just a smidge lower than a 1000 watt hid. The obvious benefit with going with 3 of these over a single 1000 would be the ability to spread them out a little.

I’m all for saving some money at whatever expense. But I just don’t see 2 of them providing any better performance than what you have. 3 would be a different story, is that an option? Otherwise we can maybe see if there is a different bulb for your 600 that may provide a little better performance.

1 Like