Almost ready to start my very first time! Soil question

Looking good , starting like a champ

You are right to be concerned about your starter being small. I ran into that before as well so normally I use a Red Solo cup with a gazillion holes poked in the bottom with a hot nail and a clear Solo cup for the dome. It gives the sprout time to get a second set of leaves and develop enough of a root ball that the media doesn’t crumble when you transplant. Also; be careful to not damage the taproot if it decides to poke through the bottom.

FF makes a good product although on the more pricey side. You will want to stay away from anything but PH’d water for the first 10 to 14 days then start a seedling feeding at transplant.

A 2 liter Pepsi bottle (or like) cut off and label removed makes a great dome once plant outgrows Solo cup.

Are you running straight coco or a blend of soil/coco?

2 Likes

@Myfriendis410 I ended up planting a second Bruce Banner today and I am using these little planters now instead of the seed starter container. I am using seed starter made out of straight coco. No soil in the seedling pots.

I was only going up use distilled water until I transplant and then ph my tap water and whatever it needs for fertilizer. I bought a 10 gal bucket to let my water sit in.

I opened my CO2 bag today since I have little plants now.

Look at these little BABIES!!

:heart_eyes::heart_eyes::heart_eyes::tada::tada::tada:

1 Like

Can anyone confirm for me… When it says to transplant when the second set of leaves are the same length as the first, that is the spikey leaves right? Looking at them as they are, it looks like the first set is not true leaves. Is that correct that I only have ONE set of true leaves at this stage?

1 Like

You can transplant at any time. I would come them for awhile though.

1 Like

@Covertgrower ok I’m so nervous about the transplant!

How long do you suggest to continue with the cone?

You can stick that whole plug into you’re medium, and you’ll do great.

1 Like

911! 911!!

@Covertgrower @Myfriendis410

I moved my babies and I’ve never transplanted non-soil based seedlings aka coco before… Those effin plastic trays! Ugh!

I tore the root off my gorilla glue :sob::sob::sob::sob::sob:

Is it totally done? I’ve planned her anyway with the other two but should I geminate another seed right now so it’s close to the same schedule as the others? Or wait and throw out a prayer this one makes it?

Help!!

All you can do is wait it out. Likely will survive though. I’ve snapped them in half, and it somehow survived.

1 Like

That’s why I cautioned you about those trays. Had it happen and frankly I’d start another one as these are autos IIRC. You want as clean an entry into your medium as possible lol. You can always run them all and cull what doesn’t perform…

1 Like

I don’t know what IIRC means but I did start germinating another seed and also left the damaged one planted in case it somehow survives.

How long do I continue 24/0 light?

These are auto flowers, so I don’t have to worry about triggering flowering. Just not sure if I can hurt them by not giving them any sleep time.

2 Likes

IIRC + If I re call :grin: I use those trays you have every now and then. I realized it was just as easy to put the rooter plug in a solo cup and start them that way. You can place a clear cup over them as a dome. I don’t remember if I ever tore a tap root off before. I have made almost every other mistake I think lol You are off to a nice start though :+1:

3 Likes

GG is somehow still alive and I think there is even some growth on the second set of leaves even though I mamed her so badly.

Baby Bruce #2 showed face this morning and will probably get transplanted later today or tomorrow.

Any suggestions for keeping the coco together somewhat when transplanting? If it were soil, I would soak it to make it all clump together. But I don’t want to drown my baby either by soaking, and I don’t think coco holds it’s shape… tips and tricks would be greatly appreciated!!

For fun, last night I think I got our youngest pupper second hand stoned. My husband asks me to exhale toward the window so I don’t “smoke stain” his gaming systems he collects. She just happened to be between me and the window so she was in direct fire all evening.

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

3 Likes

Looks like you have been using the dog as a taster.

1 Like

She doesn’t seem to mind! Especially when she’s tucked into her Daddy’s lap like she is. She’s a 70 lb “lap dog”. She is 50% staffordshire terrier and 50% cane corso and she turns two on June 1. I do dog rescue and took in her pregnant mother. This little girl has never lived outside of my home! We had 9 puppies for 8 weeks here plus Momma. All were adopted out :heart:

4 Likes

You want to let these grow so they have good roots. I water or feed. Then transplant the next day. Is that cup straight on the sides? It looks like the top is smaller in the picture. If so. You are going to want to remove that real soon. Normally you just put your hand over the top to hold it and slide the pot of. Then for me. I quickly flip it in to the hole I have pre made to fit it. Basically the same as you do with any plant :grin:

Thanks for the tag sir! appreicate it

1 Like

@Newbs Hey welcome to the forum!

Feel free to tag me in anything and I’ll try to help out as much as I can.

Here’s my most recent journal

Happy growing

Thank you!!

Can anyone tell me if they think I need to get another light panel? This is a 5x5 tent and I didn’t intend to have all six pots going at once but since I screwed up transplanting I started more seeds.

I think it would be more evenly distributed if I had two light panels. But I’m not sure if I want to drop another 2k on a second light. Does this one look like it’s covering my plants alright??

@Covertgrower @Myfriendis410 @Audiofreak

Is Bruce banner sick?? She doesn’t have the same color as gorilla glue and girl scout???