Almost Finished - Blueberry Auto and White Widow Auto

I think you made a wise chose by buying the Quantum Boards. I built a light with 4 - QB304 boards and the plants under that light are 2 to 3 times bigger then the plants under the Chinese lights. Hopefully people will see your grow and mine when its done and be convinced that these LEDs are well worth the money.

So you must have bought the 135W QB LED Kit. Great for your size grow

1 Like

Yeah. That’s exactly what I got. It’s a 4000K unit. I’m so happy with it.

I see so many people wasting there money on the cheap Chinese LEDs, as I did in the beginning. I’m glad to see someone got it right from the beginning. Your plants are a testimony to power of these lights. At only 36 watts per square foot and you still had to turn down your light. And yes that is why they are so short but I prefer that to tall skinny plants with low yields.

1 Like

Max, I just checked out your grow and you’ve got some monsters on your hands.

I did a lot of reading before buying my light. I knew in my limited space that I wasn’t going to go with an HPS or MH light. I knew I have to keep temperatures down which meant LED. Once I made that decision, it was, in my mind down to COBs and QB. Don’t get me wrong…I liked the price point of the Chinese LEDs. But the QB was small enough for my space. It was low profile. And I figured, based on their PAR charts, powerful enough.

The one thing that concerned me at the time I bought the QB was that there was only one documented grow that I could find with a QB and it wasn’t finished, so I had to kind of take a blind leap of faith to buy it. And there were a lot of people bad-mouthing the tech because they didn’t fully grasp what it was. They thought it was recycled junk tech with cheap diodes. After reading through their main thread on another site (which literally took me two months) and not fully understanding the tech and not knowing if it was going to be any good, I just dove in and bought it. Best decision I’ve made in a long time. Like I say, I’m really happy with the light.

These lights will turn your plants into huge feeders, too. I ended up dialing back the lights because I was getting scared about how much I was feeding them. I’m pretty sure these girls stunted because they were just getting more light than they knew what to do with. So, I’m hopeful for bigger healthier plants during the next grow.

One other thing I wanted to mention:

You notice that I said that I’ve used Advanced Nutrients Sensi Bloom A & B from day 10 through the end of feeding? I’ve seen posts in forums across the internet where people will tell you that’s a huge no no. You’ll ruin your plants. It’ll stunt them. You’re yields will suck. To that I will only say: do your own research. Read grow journals. See what other people are doing. See if they are successful. If they are, copy them. Then after you get some experience under your belt, experiment to see if you can improve it. Don’t settle for someone telling you it can’t or shouldn’t be done.

1 Like

Heres a pic of the monster today. These 2 plants are under the 4-QB 304. If you look to the right you can see a plant growing under this monster. Unluckly I got one plant that has way better genetics then the other. They are both Gold leaf from ILGM but one plant is huge and the other is a runt. I cloned this monster and have 12 healthy clones started.

These are almost 2 weeks into flower. Only 6 to 8 weeks left :rofl:

I have also found that with these lights you need to make sure the plants get plenty of CO2. Make sure you have a fan on during the light hours

4 Likes

WOW, beautiful!

I’m debating on whether to harvest this weekend or next weekend. Does anyone have an opinion? Some clear. Mostly cloudy. Some amber.

6 Likes

So I went to the guides and copied some info that might help you decide.

First some illustrations

when-to-harvest[1]

Secondly
Pistils
50-70% brown – young, light marijuana
70-90% brown – ripe, heavy marijuana
90-100% brown – sharp, heavy marijuana
Trichomes
Clear trichomes – wait a bit longer
Milky white/amber trichomes – ready for harvest
All Amber trichomes – overripe

I’m not sure how quick the trichromes go amber but from the picture it looks like your ready.

Great JOB :rofl: Get out the chainsaw

Also did you just have the one light for this grow or did you have something else besides the Quantum Board?

1 Like

Thanks for the info. I should probably download that guide at some point.

And to answer your question: Yes. This was the only light I’ve ever had.

At one point I thought I might have to add supplemental light. I found some threads out on the internet about using off-the-shelf screw-in LED lights for grow lights. Yes they work, too (Google it). You can get them in soft white for flower (2700 - 3000 K), daylight or natural light for veg (5000 - 6500 K) or cool white or bright white for both (3500 - 4100 K). You just have to buy the right lights (Phillips 14.5 or 10.5 watt) and take the covering off of them. Ultimately, this light was too much light at full power and the color spectrum worked just fine from seed to harvest. In the future, I may toy around with a supplemental deep red light for flowering, but I think I need to get this bad boy dialed in first.

1 Like

I learned a lot from the Grow Mau5 videos on You Tube. He does different thing with light recipes. Check it out, he has a lot of good ideas. I just wish I had the money to build good lights like that

1 Like

A couple of new photos. They’re coming down on Saturday.

9 Likes

So nice! But now my brain is on fire…the first pic is only 2 weeks ahead of mine and I have no flowers yet :turtle:am trying not to compare because there are so many variables, but…

2 Likes

Damn, even in the pics you can see the difference in bud swell from the last week. Good decision!

Finally got around to checking your stuff out, it’s looking really good! I picked up a few things along the way and decided to wait and comment all at once. First of all, don’t worry about those led and auto naysayers. The quality of both have changed a lot over the years. Secondly, you’re right on about the nutes. Some brands seem to be a little better than others, but I believe application of each is what makes the difference. Doing your research will always pay off.

As far as the auto vs photo thing, you probably went the right way if light leaks were a concern. However choosing an auto over photo because the auto’s harvest faster is mostly fictional. The truth is, it’s kind of up to you when to harvest a photo. If you get a strain that flowers in 8 weeks, you can run a 3-4 week veg and hack it about the same time. Not saying you should as,I don’t really care how anyone wants to do it, but you can. If say you wanted to try a strain thats only available as a photo, just clean up the light leaks and you should be good.

Looking forward to seeing how much you get and a smoke report for sure!

2 Likes

@Tr33 One of the things you might try to jumpstart the flowering process is switch to a 12 hours on/12 hours off lighting regimen. I’ve seen other journals where that worked with autoflower sing plants that were late to start the flowering process.

@mcpd_refugee I am thinking about trying it, but I am not sure how I can cut out all light for 12. I will give her 7 more days…if I can be so patient…and then I will prob try and induce.

Thanks, @dbrn32. It might have been a good decision to wait, but the wait is killing me. :grinning:

I read a lot of grow journals and I make a lot of notes on what works and what doesn’t. I’ve got nine notebooks full of information from three months of lurking on various forums. And I’m constantly evaluating my information with new grow journals as I read through them. That’s been the best way for me to learn this stuff.

I’ve got about three or four more grows with my current setup before I go out and buy a tent. That way my wife won’t give me a hard time about it. When I do, I’ll probably do photos every other grow. I really like the ease of autos. But I think that the variety that photos offer in terms of strains and growing techniques will ultimately be why I give them a try when it’s safe to do so.

1 Like

And they’re done.

The blueberry gave me 277.2 wet grams:

The white widow gave me 177.8 wet grams

So I got a grand total 455 wet grams of dense bud.

Thanks for checking in.

9 Likes

Total dry weight was 92.7 grams.

7 Likes

That is not bad for 2 auto plants :wink: