All things Massachusetts & MA Legalization

I don’t shovel… kids do it…I have a snowblower for the driveway…shoveled that a couple of years in a row and said no more…lol

1 Like

I don’t really have much of a driveway. Only the width of three cars and only deep as one vehicle. But the plows kill me. Tomorrow there will be snow plow piles higher than my hoods. I do a walkway from the backdoor to the street. I only shovel the front walk cause there’s steps but I do a little at a time.

A leaf blower might be an option. It’s like 15 degrees here at my house supposed to get down to the single digits tonight.

I’m not doing anything till tomorrow.

1 Like

Mine hasn’t run in a couple years and all it needs is a carburetor I’m so angry at myself that I didn’t fix it

I’ll go out two or three times tomorrow if I have to, I’ll just take it easy and putter around, I don’t care about clearing my whole driveway I’m parked at the edge anyway

Were getting another 18" Saturday and just like the 109" of snow two years ago I’m not going to beat Nature this year either, none of us are

I don’t really stress about this kind of thing anymore, I gave up on such things a long time ago, I’m doing my best not to die shoveling snow I feel that would be so f****** cliche

…anyway there’s bigger stuff to worry about, plus this’ll all be gone in a month or so

2 Likes

I thought I’d try this poll to see if we can make a list of who is from MA. Remember, no sharing personal info in replies.

• I am from Massachusetts
  • I am not from Massachusetts

0 voters

1 Like

CONVOLUTED INFORMATION From our Doctors office!!!

This is am email from the doctors office that sees my wife to keep her medical card active. This is what they think the law is… I think some of their “FACTS” are a little distorted!

Legalization Passed… What’s Next?

Many patients wonder if they will continue to need a medical cannabis certification now that legalization has passed. Here are some facts to consider:

Massachusetts Medical Cannabis Law will not be affected by new adult use law.
Retail ‘adult use’ cannabis will not be available for purchase until 2018 or later. Until then, a medical cannabis certification will be required to purchase cannabis from a dispensary.
Medical cannabis patients OR THEIR CAREGIVERS (ONE, NOT BOTH) are allowed to grow enough plants (in their home) for a 5 oz supply per month.
No tax will be charged to medical cannabis patients.
Medical cannabis patients cannot give medical cannabis to anyone. Distribution is illegal.
It is Illegal
For a non-qualifying patient to purchase from a black market or non-licensed entity, with a penalty of up to 2 1/2 years and $10,000 fine for a prior offender and up to 2 years for a first offender.
To distribute medical cannabis to anyone if you are a medical cannabis patient, PENALTY UP TO FIVE YEARS.
FOR AN UNLICENSED (BLACK MARKET) SELLER TO SELL TO A QUALIFYING PATIENT. The seller MAY BE PROSECUTED FOR ILLEGAL DISTRIBUTION, but A QUALIFYING PATIENT-PURCHASER IS IMMUNE FROM PROSECUTION UNDER THE MMJ LAW.

Legalization Law for Adult Usage
Effective 12/15/16 anyone over the age of 21 can grow up to 6 plants with a maximum of 12 plants per household.
Recreational RETAIL locations will be open in 2018 at the earliest.
Tax will be 10% -12% based on municipality. The Massachusetts government is discussing raising the tax significantly.
During the interim period it is legal to have UP TO 10 OUNCES OF CURED FLOWERS, grow UP TO THE FOREGOING PLANT LIMITS and give cannabis UP TO ONE OUNCE OF FLOWERS OR 5 GRAMS OF AN EXTRACT to other MA residents over 21 years of age with nothing in return.

Everyone should be growing it and I have just the setup for them :slight_smile: They just need to find me

And for the law, you can keep ALL of your own harvest, even if over 10oz.

4 Likes

we done found you @Matthew420!

I have a small business setting up grow tents, everything but seeds included. A lot of people in my area need help now that it’s legal :slight_smile: .

4 Likes

sweet ! i really needed you a few months ago!!! and may still! lol way to go @Matthew420 the market is there!!!

1 Like

That it is! I want a store front but don’t have the funds currently. Maybe soon

3 Likes

keep at it man,don’t give up or in!

Just wrap a thermo line around it,they work great ))

Senate Committee on Changing the Marijuana Law Has Been Formed

Somerville’s Patricia Jehlen, who actually voted for legalization, was picked for a key role.

By Spencer Buell | Boston Daily | February 16, 2017, 10:44 a.m.

Good news if you support legal pot in Massachusetts: So does a senator who was just named to a top post in the state’s new marijuana policy committee.

Somerville Sen. Patricia Jehlen will lead the senate side of the joint committee, which will play a crucial role in determining just how much lawmakers should tweak the law that voters approved in November.

Proposals she and others on the committee will consider include an increased tax on the drug, a reduced number of plants people can grow at home, new rules on packaging for pot products, and update policy to make it easier for communities to opt out of having marijuana stores in their midst.

Unlike most of her colleagues at the State House, she actually supported the legalization ballot question. She has said previously, though, that the law is not “perfect” and likely needs to be updated.

Sen. Jason Lewis, a leading voice opposing passage of the marijuana law last year and who has filed a number of bills to make changes to the law, will serve as vice chair. Pot proponents had urged Senate President Stan Rosenberg, who supported the ballot measure, not to tap Lewis to head the committee due to his very public role as a legalization opponent. So pro-pot advocates cheered the Jehlen pick.

“We commend President Rosenberg for putting together a well-balanced slate of appointees to the new committee,” said Jim Borghesani, the former spokesman for the pro-legalization Yes on 4 campaign, said in a statement. “Chairwoman Patricia Jehlen’s support for legalizing, regulating and taxing marijuana is consistent with the views of Massachusetts voters.

Yes on 4 still does not support tweaks to the law, Borghesani adds. “However, we intend to work cooperatively with the Legislature as they review the technical details of implementing the will of the voters.”

The House side will be led by Rep. Mark Cusack, who has stayed neutral on legalization. He won’t even say how he voted on the issue. When asked by the Globe today whether he voted yes on Question 4, he said his “ballot is private.”

Rep. Dave Rogers, a longtime legal weed supporter, will be vice chairman.

The marijuana law that took effect in December already permits adults to grow, use, and, technically, buy the drug. You still can’t sell it, though. The first retail shops won’t open until July, 2018 at the earliest. They had been slated to open at the start of 2018, but lawmakers rushed through a six month delay.

Before she endorsed the ballot question, Jehlen said in an interview with CBS that she would have preferred to see legalization happen through the legislature, where the particulars could be debated. On her website before the law passed, Jehlen said she supports legalization on principal, and doesn’t believe it is a gateway drug or that it leads to opioid abuse:

About half of residents of Massachusetts have used marijuana, and therefore have broken the law. Marijuana is no more likely to be a “gateway” than alcohol, but using it puts people in contact with drug dealers who may be promoting more dangerous products as well as marijuana with unregulated quality. Prohibition didn’t work with alcohol; it doesn’t work with marijuana. Although I don’t think the ballot initiative is perfect, I don’t think the legislature will take up the issue unless it passes. If it does, we can address issues of age limits, tax levels, bans on the sale of edibles and other products targeting young people, etc. And we can use funds generated to do more education and prevention, as we have successfully done with tobacco.

5 Likes

Good article!

Here is what “high times” has to say about it!

Massachusetts Lawmakers Justify Tinkering with Marijuana Legalization
6 High Times / by Chris Roberts / 5 hours ago
Almost 1.8 million people in Massachusetts voted to legalize marijuana in November. But did they really mean to do that?

It’s a ridiculous question to pose about a simple yes-or-no ballot proposition, but such are the mental gymnastics now being played by a pair of Massachusetts lawmakers, who are—unfortunately—now tasked with rewriting the voter-approved law. And they’re doing it for a governor who has made his distaste for legalization well known.

Massachusetts voters handily approved legalization in November, approving Question 4 by nearly seven percentage points, despite opposition from nearly every major state politician, including Governor Charlie Baker and Boston Mayor Marty Walsh. Since then, possession of small amounts of cannabis for adults 21 and over has become legal, but elected officials have done everything they can to delay or outright undo much else.

A handful of lawmakers called a special, sparsely-attended holiday session to delay the opening of recreational marijuana stores by six months. In January, a key state senator introduced legislation to sharply reduce the amount of cannabis adults can possess and grow at home—and delay the first legal, over-the-counter sale by two years.

Now, state Senator Patricia Jehlen and Rep. Mark Cusack are open to making more “major changes” to the voter-approved law, changes due on Baker’s desk by June.

Possible tweaks could include raising the tax rate, giving local municipalities more leeway to limit the number of marijuana retail outlets and messing with plant and possession limits. As they explained to the Boston Globe, they can justify doing this because the voters weren’t quite sure what they were doing with their ‘yes’ votes:

“I don’t think the voters were expressing deep engagement with every single sentence,” Jehlen said in a telephone interview. “But I think the concept of allowing people to own and use and grow marijuana legally, that is what is our mandate, to protect that.”

Cusack concurred. “I think the will of the voters is they wanted recreational marijuana, not that they sat there and read every word of the ballot measure before they voted for it. It was really: Do you want it or do you not?”

This is disingenuous at best—and in Jehlen, this is coming from one of marijuana’s biggest supporters.

Like other legalization measures in other states approved last fall, Question 4 set clear basic rules on cultivation, possession and when they could expect sales. Whether Cusack and Jehlen tinker with bureaucratic minutiae or make fundamental changes remains to be seen—Jehlen, at least, says that reducing the number of plants allowed “would be an error”—but to suggest that voters didn’t quite understand what they were doing is unbelievably patronizing.

It’s also a dangerous precedent.

The voter initiative process exists to give the public an alternative to professional lawmakers, who have proven less reliable than Congress on “controversial” issues like cannabis legalization—and who are often beholden to special interest money’s outsized influence (and, thanks to gerrymandered districts, enjoy phenomenal job security).

If the same lawmakers who citizens were trying to write out of the process sneak back in to tinker, what’s the point?

It’s just as fair to redo lawmakers’ votes or rewrite their legislation on the basis that voters didn’t expect it. Jehlen and Cusack should be taken at their word that they aren’t out to repeal the will of the voters, but their colleagues’ outright hostility to that same will doesn’t inspire confidence.

2 Likes

AWESOME,Thank you for update,I dont think these laws will be settled all that soon,they will shuffle all of it around for along time.maybe they should start looking into all the damn liquor stores there are,and cut down on all the drunk drivers,i never here of a pile up because the driver was smoking im sorry guys just venting,Should be able to grow 10 and have a pound in your own Kingdom,just my opinion

4 Likes

If they cut the number down I’ll just start growing the hedges, one of them is like two, three plants

I’m going to give goldleaf a try there a big hardy plant too and I’ve heard good things about the smoke

1 Like

I want to try Goldleaf as well :slight_smile: Hopefully, they just leave it alone and focus on the commercial side. That’s where the real action is going to happen.

1 Like

I see you there Matthew! :eyes: I’ve been predicting an early spring since last year and I think it’s here! … 65 tomorrow that’s a beach day and first Red Sox game Friday, is going to be tough season without Ortiz :cry:

1 Like

Pretty warm out there today! Sitting on my porch as we speak.

1 Like