All of the plants were in the same soil, had the same lighting and watering schedule throughout, so I'm at a loss in tying to figure out the cause and "fix" it. Please help me

flowering

A customer has a question and I hope we can get some opinions on it, thanks

My neighbor gave me 2 seedlings of raspberry plants, the seed for which he got from Amsterdam. I already had 16 of my own growing in starter trays, 2 dyna-fem critical+ and 2 peyote cookies, and the rest from my 2017 seed crop. I started my seeds around the 2nd week of April (I’m in upstate NY, so they were started indoors under a dome with 3 grow lights of 25 watts each and an 18-6 lighting schedule). I transplanted everything from starter trays into into 9 oz cups at about two weeks, when the roots began growing out the drainage holes I put in the bottom of the cups. At this time I found that the root system on both raspberry plants were slight; one was way more slight than the other, having almost no lateral growth. The 2nd raspberry plant had much more lateral growth on the root system, but only about half of what my own seeds produced. This condition has continued: About two weeks later, roots were again growing out the drainage holes in these cups, so I moved them into 16-oz cups, into the bottoms of which I cut drainage holes; they stayed under the dome with the same lighting cycle. I encountered the same issue: 1 raspberry plant had almost no developed root system while the other had a “better” root system, but remained about half of what I found in all my other plant. In each case, the entire amount of soil in the cup came out easily, held together by the extensive root systems, with a “ring” of root circling the botom rim of the cup. Not the case with the raspberry plants: the soil fell away from both, displaying th same sub-standard root system development. Now, two weeks later, I’ve moved them all to larger containers and outside (as the weather has turned warm enough to do so), but I found the raspberry plants continue to display substandard root systems and the canapies of these two plants have continued to be much smaller than all the others. The main stems on these plants are green and relatively thin, while those on all my others are looking a bit woody, as one might expect to see as the plant matures.

I’ve given away a number of plants; mostly those gown from my own seeds, and all seem to be thiving in their new homes. The smallest of the raspberry plants was given to a friend (a motherly sort of person who asked if she could try to “mother” it to health) yesterday, leaving me with 9 plants: 2 dyna-fem, 2 peyote cookies, the remaining 2 indica/indica and 2 sativa/indica (that I grew and bred last year) and the remaining poorly developing raspberry plant.

All of the plants were in the same soil, had the same lighting and watering schedule throughout, so I’m at a loss in tying to figure out the cause and “fix” it.

What are your thoughts? I guessed that the watering that helped all the others to thrive was too much for those of this species, so after morning watering Friday, I gave no water after dinner as I had been doing, and used a turkey baster to deliver a relatively small amount of water at about the circumference/perimeter of the canopy, the idea being to force the roots
to grow if they’re going to get to the water.

I just don’t know. I’m hoping you have spome suggestions!

It sounds to me like you’re doing everything you should be. Every plant is different. Nature doesn’t always fit its creations into a perfect box. Look at each plant and its needs/wants separately. Some plants want to guzzle water and eat up whatever you give them. Others are very easily overwatered or overfed and stunted. How did the seedlings look when you got them? How old were they? Maybe they were already stunted then.

As I said, I think you’ve got your bases covered. But you should join the forum and tell us more about your grow. There is a wealth of knowledge and friendly, helpful people here. Welcome, and happy gardening! :v:

Sounds like a genetic thing
The raspberry may have a poor genetic background or they may just grow small its hard to say
As @elheffe702 said sounds like you are doing everything you can