All about Silica

Just read this post about silica and thought I would share it with you guys. Hope this link is ok @admins

6 Likes

I add silica to my girls after the stretch is over and all training is completed. It really helps stiffen up the plant structure and helps the plant hold up heavy flowers. I add 5ml each over 3 waterings. Don’t add it if you have a plant that you are planning on training. Plants stiffened up with silica become hard to work with as far as training goes because it stiffens up the plant so much.

13 Likes

Absolutely agree. My first run was at full strength. Got way to stiff. Second was 1/4 strength until after the stretch, and then full strength after that. But for only about 4 weeks. Seems to have worked out great this time.

4 Likes

What wasn’t stated in the article is trichome stalks are composed primarily of silica: not enough for the plant will reduce potency.

10 Likes

That was the reason I went down the rabbit hole on this one. I had read on here that silica was very much needed as part of the trichome development but after reading that article I was unsure :thinking:

1 Like

So after the stretch. I take it that you’ve flipped to 12/12 and feed for the first 4-5 weeks of flower. Is there a preference when it comes to silica

I see alot.of the good growers start using siloca 4th or 5th week of flower and stop at the 8th or 9th depending how long it has to go usually stops 2 to 3 weeks before harvest from what im gathering. I just started this grow with autos and using silica kust hitting 5 weeks flower and she is a stretchy 1 zkittlez always seem to be stretchers

1 Like

Ya but in my experience not everyone that grows (beginner to pro ) will either want to or be able to manifold or scrog or take clippings for clones … It all depends on the grow … In my honest experience if i decide to either germ a photosensitive feminized seed ide rather not top it ide rather take about 4 to six clones from the lower branches and then trim the smaller inner leafs and tiny node stems so she can breath and then leave her alone . I won’t top her I’ll let her be till harvest . But those clones I will decide on the space and time until bloom what to do … If I am germing auto flower I’ll most likely manifold after the second to third node depending on health … If I take clones of a mother photo sensitive and if I started mother early enough befor season starts then I’ll scrog depending on the nodes . If there still growing even then I’ll top them and trim up the inner small leafs . But if they grew in even I’ll leave it be … But also if I feel like growing and early bud off one clone I’ll cover it with a garbage bag after 12 hrs of day light … Also some times I’ll take a small clone and seperate it in its own enclosed environment outdoor and put it into early bloom and force it to herm with silver nitrate misting daily in early bloom until it shows pollen sacks and let it pollinate itself for further fresh genetic feminized seeds . You know honestly it’s not hard just don’t believe everyone on the web guys Lott’s of ppl fail and then take it out on new growers by trolling the web confusing ppl and some ppl just don’t want to share there success… I will not share my Nute doses down to the .125ml/g but i will give honest true helpful and knowledge that new or intermediate to even pro growers . Even the pros get stumped . I do and I always sift out the bullshit from the truth it’s a long and stressful process that’s why I have decided to be here to assist in the actual science and true experience. :evergreen_tree:

2 Likes

Flip to 12/12 after stretch? ?? Ummmmmmmmm if auto flower then photo period can be lower but not to 12/12 … Auto flower won’t stretch drastically ( maybe 1.5x but max 2x) and u want the Xtra photo grow for auto flower. So drop to 14 hrs min . If u are talking about feminized photosensitive then there will be no start to stretch until after the first week of changing light cycle to 12/12. And then u will see a stretch and much and then pre bud and still more stretch … U want a real honest experienced answer then just ask me or Google … But google wi show u half truth and half trolls who can’t grow . I’ve sifted through it all and have put it to work and proved the b.s. on all sites .

1 Like

My question was more about the best time to add silica. Is there a preference regarding adding it during veg or add it after flipping. I’ve never used it and unsure as to whether or not to start

1 Like

I start adding silica when the flowering stretch is complete and no more training is going to take place. Silica strengthens plant structure, so adding it when you may still do training is self-defeating. It can lead to broken branches where you only intended to bend.

I add 5ml/gal (one gallon only) each over 3 or 4 waterings. Silica does its thing pretty quickly.

5 Likes

Potassium silicate is mainly used for outdoor grows as its purpose is to strengthen plant durinng uncontrollable climate change . ( High temp and low humidity ) u don’t need silicate for indoor grows as u should be able to control your climate without issues.

1 Like

That is a perfect answer mate. Having never used it, I didn’t want to go flying in there only to fluff it up

1 Like

Silica is needed for trichome production. That’s in addition to any disease resistance properties.

I run silica from about 4 weeks until final flush.

10 Likes

First of all welcome to the forum @Neogrnnodes. As smart as you seem to be with growing weed, I think we can agree on, every grow is different and every strain as well as growers techniques are different.

Second, you can leave it at “strengthening plants”.
Assuming you’ve grown indoors and have had any good size buds, you would agree that silica is of the utmost importance for if you don’t have it, your buds will topple over.

There are many many ways to grow and if I might caution one on making it your way or the highway. It does not bode well with anybody!

Good luck brother with all you do! :+1:t2::v::sunglasses:

4 Likes

I have been getting a fair bit if this. Coming in to check my babies only to find the entire plant bent over on its side. I need to get me some silica

3 Likes

I use silica from day 1 to about 6 weeks into flowering, some of my top heavy colas still fall over, so I use a trellis net (or 2 nets even on taller grows) to separate and support the colas, like a bra for buds LOL.

6 Likes

Bra for buds :man_facepalming::man_facepalming::rofl::rofl::rofl:
I’ve been looking into this silica. Is there a preference. Do you just let them grow through the net and add another as it needs it. I’ve tried the nets and they just irritate me :rage:

2 Likes

Usually I just put the net up after they’ve started the flowering stretch and just let the tall colas grow thru it, if they get too tall, I just add another net higher up, I’m often using 2 nets. I rarely do the real SCROG where you place the net in veg and train the plants to fill the screen, that’s more of a pain in the butt. I just want to keep the colas from falling/leaning over and I find that easier than using plant yo-yo’s or stakes or tying them off to something.

2 screens used here, just supporting the tall heavy colas

11 Likes

That’s my way forward now. Scrogging isn’t for me, I’ve decided that much. The way you do it is far more appealing

3 Likes