All aboard.... Trainwreck 2 plants, going for 3 lbs

Find the monkey

4 Likes

@Donaldj @peachfuzz @TDubWilly

Iā€™ve used this when making moonshine. Itā€™s a food grade sanitizers used in brewing. Would this work to run through my system between grows, or would something else be better.
Thanks

Star San- 32 oz https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0064O7YFA/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_Ow33BbTSENQAH

I have star San as well. Itā€™s what Iā€™ll be using between grows to clean out pumps and kill any bacteria. Itā€™s slightly acidic so it should clean the lines out of any buildup.

2 Likes

Will have to lookā€¦ super jazzed for youā€¦ I am ripped right now do to my own medicineā€¦ :grin:
Ya good stuffā€¦ didnā€™t care what it was ā€¦ last chance strainsā€¦ . Iā€™m pretty sure it was ilgm white widowā€¦ Iā€™m wreckedā€¦ niceā€¦ :grin:
Still have to cook and not sure what my name is ā€¦ $hitā€¦
Still have to cookā€¦:wink:
:v::sunglasses:

2 Likes

Riddle me this, Batman
I had a fight to the death with my arch enemy Pythium. Iā€™ve got a chiller now. My understanding is that if you keep your water temperature cool enough, the bad bacteria cannot survive. What effect does this have on hydrogaurd and the good bacteria it supplies?
Inquiring minds want to know

1 Like

Iā€™m going to have to smoke another one myself :sunglasses:

1 Like

Damn after listening to you all now I gotta smoke another oneā€¦hehehe, like I needed a reason huh.

4 Likes

I just skimmed across to this and found it very informative. Thank you so much for the great information, and thanks to everyone who has more experience whoā€™s actually willing to take the time and share, instead of ā€œhoarding knowledgeā€ (as some people might be inclined to do) so that they can have the best outcomes and others are left scratching their heads in frustration.

I know I speak for lots of other newbies/beginners/intermediate growers when I say thanks with deep appreciation.

Question (anyone feel free to answer): What is the best, most reasonably priced, user-friendly pH reader for someone who uses an organic soil medium? How does it work? Do you only check the water and/or nutes before you feed/water the plant, or - is there a way to actually check the pH of the soil itself? Is there ANY system that doesnā€™t involve tons of tools, powders, mixing, etc. lol? I mean, if thatā€™s the only way - so be it, be with all the technology out there, I would imagine thereā€™s a tool of some sort that can do this. Out of ALL the tools in the toolbox that we growers use, I feel like this (especially after reading your post) would be THE MOST critical.

Iā€™ve also purchased numerous cheap-moderately priced soil pH meters (some requiring batteries, some solar powered), and was NOTHING but frustrated. They never come with detailed instructions (i.e. how far down do you put the meter, how to properly clean it (especially if youā€™re using it on more than one plant), how long to wait to get an accurate reading? I have a decent PPM meter, which helped me tremendously in figuring out that my tap water was indeed perfect and I really didnā€™t need to spend the extra money on spring water.

I know that distilled water and/or Reverse Osmosis H20 starts with a PPM of 0 and so all adjustments, including pH have to be done from the ground up (no pun intended). Is it worth splurging on mountain/spring water (which Iā€™m TOLD still has trace minerals desirable as found in decent tap water?). I donā€™t grow huge crops so, if Iā€™m only growing 3-5 plants at a time, if itā€™s TRUE that Spring Water (i.e. Poland Spring? lol) makes for an overall better quality than any tap water, Iā€™m willing to splurge. Clearly, if I had a huge operation going I may not do that. Iā€™ve tested my tap and it consistently hovers around 140-160 PPMs. I know where I need to be on the pH scale, but I canā€™t seem to find the right tool. Iā€™m getting frustrated, and I donā€™t want to play guessing games - especially when Iā€™m starting Week 2 of Flowering. Just like the other guy who posted in here (sorry, your username eludes me), Iā€™ve never actually gone through and hit the finish line. This time around Iā€™m so freakinā€™ close.

Another question for anyone who has an opinion or idea: Whatā€™s the best place to buy supplies online (besides amazon that carries most things, but may not carry more specific, specialized items? Also, in the tents I often see gardeners with flood mats under their plants. Are these purchased, or made/DIY? If so, where can I get them or how do I make them? This has been a source of frustration for me. Finally, Iā€™ve purchased 3 tiny dehumidifiers over the time Iā€™ve grown - and they all pretty much stink. Anyone have any suggestions on that as well?

Thanks, friends!

3 Likes

Just take your time reading through this information. It will have most if not all the answers to your questions. :+1: Download the Marijuana Grow Bible

1 Like

How to Adjust the pH in Water for Plants

The proportions of water to pH-adjusting solution may vary by product.

Related Articles
1 How Does pH Affect Plants?
2 Lower PH in Pond Water
3 Reduce Water Alkalinity for Gardening
4 Correct the Soil pH

Whether youā€™re growing plants hydroponically ā€“ that is, with the roots immersed in
water ā€“ or in soil, the pH of the growing medium around your plants is important for
ideal growth. The pH of your growing medium can be acidic, basic or alkaline, or
neutral; generally, plants thrive with a pH of about 5.5 to 6.5. Below that, plants
are acidic, and above that, theyā€™re basic or alkaline. If youā€™ve discovered that the
pH of your growing medium is out of whack, you can use a number of different ways to
fix the problem.

Add the nutrients or fertilizers that youā€™re currently using for your garden. If youā€™re
growing hydroponically, wait about one hour before you move on to the next step. If
youā€™re growing in soil, wait about 24 hours.

Test the growing medium by inserting a pH test strip or electronic test kit into it,
following the instructions on the test kit to ensure proper testing. Read your pH level
and compare that to the ideal pH for the type of plant youā€™re growing to determine
whether you need to raise or lower the pH of the growing medium.

Fill a gallon jug with clean water. Depending on the substance youā€™re using to
adjust your pH, you may be instructed to use a different amount of water. Be sure
to read the instructions on the bottle or talk with the retailer for instructions
on the proper water-to-substance mix.

Add lime, wood ash or a specially formulated solution to the water to raise the
pH, or add sulfur, phosphoric acid or a pH-lowering solution lower the pH. If
youā€™re adding solid materials to a liquid solution, allow the material to soak in
the water for a few hours to allow it to ā€œsteep.ā€

Water your plants with the solution. If youā€™re growing in soil or another
solid such as perlite, water the plants with the solution in the same way
you would water the plants with regular water. If youā€™re growing hydroponically,
add the solution to your hydroponic solution.

Test the pH again following the treatment, to determine whether
you need to do another treatment. For hydroponics, wait about 30
minutes to test the pH again. For soil and other solids, wait about 24 hours.

Things You Will Need
?pH test kit
?Watering can
?Lime, wood ash, phosphoric acid, sulfur, phosphoric acid or commercial pH-altering solutions

1 Like

@Grandaddy013

get rid of it but before you chuck it take picā€™s of it and cut it open but do all this in another room so not to contaminate the other plants and maybe we can figure it out so that it doesnā€™t happen againā€¦

Will

2 Likes

Forgive my ignorance, but I donā€™t understand what youā€™re telling me to get rid of. @garrigan62

I dont think water temp is low enough to kill all bacteria, for example if i let my peppers in the fridge too long mold will still develop but temps are very low, but i think low temps + enough oxygen + isolated container is a very good way to prevent them.

1 Like

Iā€™m not sure what you mean by isolated container, but I did buy a chiller and more air stones for my next grow, which I will start as soon as this batch dries and I clean and sanitize EVERYTHING. About 2 weeks. This was my best grow ever, yet was severely hampered by the root rot fiasco. Looking forward to next one.

1 Like

Sealed system is what I meant, if everything is sealed guess its harder for bad bacteria to get to the roots. Just my two cents, havent been in RDWC yet and just about to finish building my system. I think you should be fine with your new stones and chiller.

@peachfuzz how many lights are you running? How many different grow areas do you have? Whatā€™s your set up like? Inquiring minds want to know

Exactly what is ā€œfoxtailingā€?

Well Iā€™m still running 3 flower tables in one room with a 600 watt 4500k hps bulb over each table in xxxl 8 inch vented hoods hooked up to a 8 inch 1000 cfm exhaust fanā€¦ each flower table is 3ā€™x6ā€™ with a free floating double scrogg table that has 8 inches between each net ā€¦ bottom net has 8 inch squares and the top net has 4 inch squaresā€¦ I have a propane co2 generator and a 12000 btu window ac and a 10000 btu window unit for back upā€¦ its finely cooled down enough that Iā€™m not even running any acā€¦
Veg room was just a corner in a spare bedroom that was 4ā€™x6ā€™ on top for vegging under two 4 foot 4 bulb t5ho fixtures with 6500k bulbs and 3ā€™x6ā€™ underneath for clones and seedlings with one 4 foot 4 bulb t5ho fixture with 6500k bulbs ā€¦ :wink:
But Iā€™ve been getting ready to move so I took down the veg and clone areaā€¦ I just have a lil stupid set up for veg and cloning for the moment and Iā€™m just using a DIY CFL light fixture for cloning and vegging at the momentā€¦ :grin:

It only uses up about 3ā€™x4ā€™ and can be taken down in minutesā€¦ :wink:
:v::sunglasses:

2 Likes

A question for @dbrn32 @peachfuzz @anyonethatknows
I have a DIY CFL light I made before. I made the hood from 8" duct. It has 4- 125w bulbs, and 20- 23w bulbs. This light is useless for flower, but would it be ok for veg? Or should I get a new light? Inquiring minds want to know

1 Like

Should veg fine assuming theyā€™re cold white or daylight bulbs. My only concern would be that itā€™s a shitload of power.