All aboard.... Trainwreck 2 plants, going for 3 lbs

@dbrn32 was telling me about a 600w led light that would replace my my/HPS 1000w light, but I’m just not sold on them enough, due to my lack of knowledge I’m sure, to drop that much money for 2 of them right now. That would be like a months income for me. I have a LOT to learn about lights, not being a Georgia Tech graduate with a degree in electrical engineering. Just a dumbass redneck on a budget, but I got smoke.:sunglasses::cowboy_hat_face:

5 Likes

I need to build out my other light to see how bright it is but i can tell you that the pics don’t do the quantum board any justice. The QB is easy to look At in the pics, but with the naked eye its like looking into the sun

2 Likes

Been by boglegs journal? His light would be considered a 1000 watt hps replacement. His last harvest took a hit with mold, but we were expecting him to pull 20ish ounces from 4x4 scrog.

3 Likes

I’m thinking they probably are the latest and greatest, just pricey. I’m wanting to get some, just not now. Doing remodel on BOTH of my houses gets expensive QUICK. As soon as I get all this paid off, I’ll be ready to dive in.

2 Likes

And while we’re on the subject, I recently acquired (free) an outside ping pong table made from aluminum composite. Is this acceptable for heat sinks?

Not sure. What kind of info do you have on the table material?

Just got caught up on what you guy’s were talking about… I’ve been able to get a lil over 2 lbs dried , top shelf meds with a 3’x6’ double scrogg table with one 600 watt , 4500 Kelvin hps bulb with 6 plants in one rdwc tote that holds about 18 gallons of solution , but has a root capacity of about 30 gallons…
I’ve got 1000 watt bulbs and ballists but I only used them in the beginning because I was listening to all the hype… now I’m only running 600 watters… I was going to be doing an experiment this winter with a 600 watt hps and a 400 watt mh in one hood… but I might be moving and I dont think I’ll be able to do anything for a lil while until I get everything set up again…
I’m working on getting a big trailer that I can convert into a grow room that I can move around and never have to take everything apart again… :grin:

That’s the hope anyway…

:v::sunglasses:

3 Likes

PPM - 1060. PH - 5.8

I flipped lights on 8/22
I saw flower on 9/2
My question is HOW FAR ALONG IN FLOWER AM I?

6 Likes

Plan about from when you seen pistils. From that point an 8 week strain should be about 8 weeks.

I’m not sure about ping pong table. It may work, I would just be a little concerned that whatever the coating is on top would hamper its ability to dissipate heat.

1.5 gpw on hid is better than average grower will do. I’ve also yet to see any single 600 have a 6’ footprint without having a lot of ceiling to work with. Do you use a mover?

I think running 6 plants probably helps, most seem to think that running a single plant per 3x3 scrog is the proper way to do it. But they take no account for the plants ability to process energy. It doesn’t matter how much light, co2, and water you have, a single plant will only do so much. It’s pretty well documented that grows are the most efficient with ppfd between 600-800 umols. With a fresh bulb you’d be coming in a little over 500. So maybe you’re leaving a little density or weight out there, but you definitely are going about it the right way in my opinion.

3 Likes

I’m starting to realize that the led lights may have more penetration and run more efficiently. Only problem is, that ain’t what I got at the moment. Until I’m able to get the LEDs, would a larger hood and light mover help me. @peachfuzz seems to be rocking it. I also understand that more plants would increase my yield. That’s also a future endeavor. Right now, I can do 2 plants with 2 lights, and want to take them to the MAX. Reading on the net gets me confused because people say different things. I believe it was Henry Ford that said " You don’t have to know everything, so I surround myself with people that do." Or something like that. That’s why I ask you about lights, DJ about nutes, etc. I have found a wealth of knowledge on this forum.

2 Likes

So I’m about 3weeks into flower. Judging from my pictures, does this seem about right to you?

2 Likes

@TDubWilly I noticed that you said about week 7 you “untied” your plant to let the lower buds get more light.
Do you feel like that was the right time? What would have happened if you did it a week 5 or 6? I don’t know as this is the first time I’ve done “Scrog done right”. Thank you for all your help, BTW😁.
Today while I was seeing about the girls, I was getting down into the canopy to remove some yellow leaves, and noticed a gazillion more bud sites underneath that weren’t getting much light. I don’t know what is going to happen when I untie them. What do you think I should do to get more light on the lower buds?

1 Like

@dbrn32 I have a lot of crazy ideas. Some may work, most probably won’t. My question, can I adequately light a 6x8 or 8x8 Scrog with 2 - 1000w MH/HPS lights on a light mover?

No bs… just dry weights… some plants are fluffy buds and some are dense and hard as a rock…
I think that has more to do with how its dried and curred …
A friend of mine cuts wet and trims wet and drys in a big air net basket that lets all of the buds sit on top of one another and he just shakes them around every couple hours and always has super dense lil buds… but the taste and the stoney isn’t there…
I cut after 36 hours of dark time and hang in the dark till dry… and dry trim and jar for storage… :wink:
Fat nugs that taste great and get me really medicated… airy or dense… I think it has more to do with genetics than drying and curing if you want the best meds… I hope I’m making sense… :grin:

:v::sunglasses:

2 Likes

You make sense. I’m not sure I agree 100% with all of it, but I don’t think it’s bs. I have messed with wet and dry trim and didn’t see a difference either way. I think if you keep environments proper probably makes the biggest difference. I find it’s easier to trim wet. But I may trim after dry in the winter just keep my dry time a little slower when rh is very low. I don’t know if I would cut and go straight to jar though, ever.

There’s always more than one right way to do things. A little detail missed here or there can make a big difference.

1 Like

A 6x8 would be as large as I’d try to do that. And really that would be pushing the point you’d want to go de. Definitely de at 8x8.

1 Like

I untied at that time because i felt as though my top buds had reached a density that i was satisfied with. I personally don’t try getting more light to those lower bud until I’m happy with the top buds.

I usual flower around ten weeks and week seven or eight i untie them

3 Likes

They will be airy for sure, and if they use any energy from the light above your plant then its taking away energy that can be used by the upper buds. This is the reason i wait until I’m happy with my upper buds.

You can even do something like this: harvest all your upper buds, that are exposed to large amounts of light on the daily, once they are ready, and leave those lower buds that were not exposed to get more light and keep maturing. At some point the plant will start producing seeds from being in flower so long so keep an eye out.

5 Likes