Algae in water lines

What can I do about algae in water lines, will Algaefix work? The water lines are clear will black lines work better?

1 Like

Replace your clear lines with black and you’ll be fine. Good old peroxide is the hydro growers’ friend.

2 Likes

It took me a while to learn how important peroxide is in a hydro grow, and that it needs to be completely recharged every 4-5 days, kinda like adding chlorine to a pool.

1 Like

I messed up and used clear lines with my drip system. Gotta get black lines. I did disconnect them all and soak them in peroxide, though. Cleaned them up real good. But black lines. Definitely gotta go with the black.

2 Likes

Add 4ml per gallon Barley Straw Extract. I have a DIY RDWD with white PVC. Light gets in and 0 algae, extremely light algae growth on wet rockwool also. Works great, when you have a coi pond you float barley straw rafts in the pond to keep away the algae. Totally harmless and algae hates it.

1 Like

After cleaning try adding beneficial microbes to your system.
I use Botanicare Hydroguard Bacillus Root Inoculant

Also pre-chill my water with 2 liter plastic cola bottles that I freeze the day before. Place in your reservoir or you can chill your replacement water a few hours before use.