Against the odds! Late Off-season outdoor Grow!

Hey guys! This is my first grow I’ve been advised not to so late in the year but i have a bunch of seeds and I can spare one. I’m doing this strictly to better my understanding of how to grow, what to look for etc.

I’m using fox farm happy frog soil, 5 gallon pot and fox farms 3 bottle nutrients. I’m in NYC and I’m using an auto flower zkittlez.

Does anyone have any pointers for growing so late in my climate?

Again I’m not expecting this to be a success but more a learning experience so any tips are welcomed! I’ll try my best to post progress as I go along!

Does any one have any

1 Like

You could build a little makeshift frame around it. That way you could easily slip a tarp or some plastic over it to keep it a little warmer. Then you could even run a cheap heater out to your little enclosure when its especially cold. Yeah the cold is gonna be your biggest enemy. Keep it in a pot that you can move inside. You say you can spare it now but when you see it in flower youre not gonna want to chance it dying. Its like once you name a pet, youre attached :laughing: Its not advisable but that doesnt mean its impossible. Good luck
PS if you can spare em then send them my way :laughing:. I’ll ship you a percentage of the grow :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

Those aren’t bad ideas! This was the only seed I had to spare it’s all or nothing on this lil guy hopefully he’s a trooper and I’m not an idiot :rofl:

1 Like

Like I said just be prepared to bring her inside. I wanna see what happens, keep me posted please? Good luck again! :crossed_fingers:

1 Like

I will! Any ideas what temperatures I should be looking out for to move inside?

I’m about 6 hrs north of you in NY and I’m 2.5 weeks Into a late season auto flower grow. More of an experiment so see how late in the season I can go.
She is small and not growing very fast but hanging in.

I’m at a drag race this weekend in Lebanon Valley but I’ll post a picture when I get home.

1 Like

Nice! Be safe if you’re the one racing! Hope you win if you are! Looking forward to she how she looks!

I just know you dont want her to be out there when its 32° F or less. Theyre pretty tough but a freeze will most likely kill her. I just dont think they grow close to their potential when your under like 60° F.

1 Like

Ya pretty much gotta figure on about 3 months…gonna be cold af by then

Hmmm. If you have it in a pot or bag maybe put it in a styrofoam cooler and fill with mulch around it to keep the roots protected? I can’t remember who posted it above but building a hot house to cover it would help. Maybe put it close to your dryer’s outdoor vent area? Heat bricks in the oven and put them in the hot house? Locate them where they will get southern exposure?

@Backmoon kept clones alive one winter without heat.

1 Like

Love that idea @JaneQP Janequarterpound :laughing:

1 Like

It’s gonna die the first time it gets down into the low 30s maybe sooner if there’s consecutive days of below 40. If you can bring it inside at night, and on cold days and put it near a south facing window or under a light you might be able to get something but not much. Marijuana is a weed. Weeds drop seeds and then die in the winter and new weeds sprout up in the spring and summer. Auto flower seedlings can grow with the shorter light hours of fall and winter but they need the daytime temps to be in the 60’s minimum or they will just stall out you will be better off growing it in the window like a house plant.

2 Likes