After harvesting

How do I get my buds to smell good after harvesting plant, during drying phase?
Getting a slight mildew smell (not mold) is this normal?

Some strains have an earthy musty smell to them. Usually the smell and flavor will come with proper curing techniques. And be sure to check closely to be 100% sure its NOT mold.
Happy Curing

1 Like

Make sure the room has air circulation. They should not smell like mildew. When stems will break when bending you can put them in mason jars and open daily for around 10 minutes for a month or so. Then open every few days for 10 minutes for about a month. This process is called curing and smell should get better as you go. The buds usually go from a grassy/ hay smell to dank weed smell. Some people open twice a day at first.

6 Likes

Especially if grown outdoors, it’s a good idea to dip buds in a hydrogen peroxide solution.
Washes off dirt and kills mold. Hang in dark cool place with air circulating.
After 4 days…when the twigs are dry nuff to bend and snap, move to mason jars burping twice a day until the moisture is 50% or so.

3 Likes

Don’t forget your Boveda 62% packs.

2 Likes

Yes a grassy hay smell is more accurate of a smell rather than mildew… this is my second time around… I just cut them a day ago have them in a cool dry place…I’ve heard throwing in orange peels or Pine combs will help get a better smell… any thoughts… thanks for the help

Also I’m 10 weeks in from flower on these white widow auto flowers … I’m getting this browning on my sugar leaves … I know
Some browning is normal but not sure about the leaves very close to the buds… is this normal? And is this ready to harvest?

4 Likes

People use orange peel but I prefer humidity packs. The humidity is a constant 62%, no guessing means no ruined buds.

Yes, normal for leaves to do that. You are about 2-3 weeks out from harvest. I would start planning the flush for last 2 weeks.

1 Like

A clearer close up picture would help but it looks like you have a lot of white pistils still.

1 Like

Yes I know the amber TRIs are a good indicator but what are you looking for on the pistils what percentage orange to white? Or all orange?

I’m on my first grow and carefully watching my trichomes and comparing them to the pistils, because of this post I found in another thread on this site. It was posted as an alternative to using a microscope or loupe to inspect the trichomes.

Harvest when 60-70% of hairs have darkened for highest levels of THC. Harvest when 70-90% of hairs have darkened for a more calming, anti-anxiety effect as some THC turns to the more relaxing CBN.

I don’t know how true this is, which is why I’m watching carefully. I plan on harvesting when all of the trichomes are cloudy and maybe (?) about 20% amber for a maximum couch-lock effect.

1 Like

Perfect…Thanks for the feedback @TommyBahama

Hey. You think you can tell me if they look like they are ready to harvest white widow auto 11 weeks in this Friday

1 Like

You think you can tell me how mine looks. I’m on my 11 week this Friday. White widow auto

1 Like

Not ready yet buddy, all I see is white hairs, wait till the hairs turn brown or even better get a scope to checks up the trichs

3 Likes

Ok thank you. 11 weeks I shouldn’t have much longer

I think when you buy seeds they say how long the flowering time is , that is only a guide only , as there’s so many factors that can sway it longer of shorter,

3 Likes

Yes but I was trying to ask for a experience suggestion

1 Like

These are my white widow auto flowers I just harvested … you have a long way to go… scroll up on this forum and read to get a better idea… pistils need to be 60-80% orange tris should have amber In them as well

4 Likes

If you only cut them a day ago you should expect the smells you have. Smells and taste will come out over time while curing. :v:
Nice harvest BTW :wink:

4 Likes