Afghan or goald leaf? 1 plant trying to get a pound

@Hogmaster Hello growers, friends and botanists. im about to finish my second grow and i decided i am only growing 1 plant next time in my 4x4 by6.5 grow tent i have 2 600watt full Spectrum led light bars and im using hydroponic set up with a comercial air pump and 2 lines in the bucket with 2 airstones. Im trying grow a pound plant with super croping and firming. So my questions are

1. How much longer should i veg for 2months total? Or longer?
  2. Should i use afghan fem or goald leaf fem. im worryed about the goald leafs hight if i veg it for to long? Or will i be fine?
    Thanks
    Nic
1 Like

A 5 gal pot would help restrict its height. I go with a 7 gal pot and either just crop or fimm and use LST. And theres always super crop. Happy growing!

4 Likes

My vote is for the Gold Leaf. It is responsive to training and is very vigorous. I use a SCROG and with a 2 month veg in coco I was harvesting around 10 ounces. You really might be better off with 2 plants IMO to achieve your goal.

9 Likes

I second the Gold Leaf

3 Likes

I don’t grow hydro, but it would seem that you’ll need more veg time to get a single plant that large. That’s just from following the other hydro guys around though. @Bogleg @peachfuzz @Donaldj can probably give you better info there.

5 Likes

Gonna be tough to get there without a scrog and good scrogging techniques. Remember your lights are flat, so to maximize the light to all the buds you need to make a flat plant to match your flat light.

I’m trying to get over a pound on this plant right now

Gold leaf buds can get big, I to vote for gold leaf

13 Likes

What strain do you think he should choose

• Gold leaf
  • Afghan

0 voters

1 Like

lol I veg for 4 weeks from established clones so 6-7 weeks from cuttings but adding even a week in veg with hydro once dialed in is huge. Getting to a pound is a hard goal with 2 light bars of unknown true wattage let alone with 1 plant under 600w HID everything needs to be dialed in start to finish

9 Likes

Outstanding @TDubWilly
Doing one of my gold leafs outdoor SCROG
gonna be workin on it today tag ya in when its done

3 Likes

Sounds good @Growit :+1:

2 Likes

Thanks guys for the information and feedback!!!

2 Likes

@TDubWilly the GL really responds well to the SCROG.

2 Likes

I’ve never done a gold leaf in a scrog but I do know my gold leaf plants all had tendencies to produce some of the larger buds that I’ve grown!!! This is my second plant in a row of GSCx and I like it, but not as much as the gold leaf @Myfriendis410

2 Likes

Enough to fill a 4x4 satisfying that kind of yield grow? Having just followed boglegs grow, he had two plants scrogged in hydro on something like 60ish days veg and fell just short of a pound. I’m familiar with faster veg growth in hydro, but I didn’t realize there was the potential to be that much better out there.

I agree 100% on light potential, was limiting my input based on the original question. You know I’d be all over it if he was asking haha! I’m more than happy to share the info I have, but don’t really wanna be the light snob if I don’t have to.

3 Likes

The only problem i have is trying to scrog using hydrobuckets considdering i need to clean the buckets and stuff. Do you think i should try 2 goald leaf plants. Beacuse i was only thinking 1 beacuse if the extra room it can grow.

I use very unorthodox SCROG method I make my plant carry screen more like supported LST

1 Like

I favor totes to buckets I cut lid to fit net pots 2 plants in 27gal tote with a drain in tote

gravity does the work tote is 6-8" or more off floor I simply lower hose and she drains or connect a small pump lower to prime and pump to where I want. To fill it easy to add extra hole in lid

2 Likes

@Donaldj Intresting! If the scrog screen is supported by the tent structure will the plant be fine if i move it up and down a little? I seen some attached to buckets but i just use green fencing

Ignore dog but the tomato cage was my fast solution it supported screen letting me lift lid and screen together with less stress to plants

I can’t scrog during veg since I move my plants through spaces not change light cycle so I put screen on day I flip. I then train for 1-2 weeks as they stretch tying down to screen and weaving
once limbs start to harden off no longer needs and supports

5 Likes

How do you deal with changing and cleanig the bucket with a scrog screen? I got a mettal fence that i got at homedepo so imma try it with that im just worryed about the weight of it