Advice on heat abatement

You guys have been extremely helpful to me so it’s your fault. I’m back!
I have a 2x4 tent running an HLG 260xl. The temp approaches 90F even with fans and exhaust going. I need advice on how to cool this thing down. Just had 5 WW seeds break through the dirt and I don’t want to mess this one up by cooking them.

1 Like

Run lights at night?

1 Like

@dbrn32
I thought that LEDs don’t run that hot…?
Or am I missing something… ?
:v::sunglasses:

1 Like

Where’s the light driver? Inside or outside the tent? What about the fans? I’m not sure how much temp wise they generate all together but there has to be an amount of localized heat production.

1 Like

I had to install a small a/c unit in the room tent is in.

1 Like

It is inside attached to a 3ft heat sink

I would try moving any heat producing components outside the tent, if possible, to start.

1 Like

Can you rig a simple partition with styrofoam to divide the space above the lights from that below? Heat rises and if you isolate then vent the space above the lights you will see a benefit. You can use that same technique at the plant level too. I did this in my 2 X 4 tent and it dropped 10F off the canopy temps. The pot covers I tried doing an RDWC run and it dropped rez temps 5F.

Like stated; run lights at night and that could help.

2 Likes

Give me the rundown on your setup? I would like to know what you’re running for intake, exhaust, and what temp intake air is?

2 Likes

I may be a little bit dense but what do you mean by “running for intake and exhaust. “
Ambient room temperature is 74F, which is what goes into the tent.

2 Likes

I’m with @dbrn32 where are you pulling your intake air in from? What’s the ambient temperature in the air where your intake fan is?

1 Like

What size are your intake and exhaust fan i.e. 4" or 6" and how much air do they move aka CFM

1 Like

Where is your intake located inside the tent. Like where does the end of the pipe lay? Is it down low or up high? If it’s to close to the exhaust it’s not having a chance to even cool things down before it’s sucked right out. It should be located on the bottom of the tent or under canopy. I like mine on bottom of tent opposite of exhaust to get good circulation flow.

3 Likes

How and where are you recirculating air through your tent?

1 Like

Before I moved my plants into a climate controlled environment they were in the attic. I had problems with heat. I had lights off from 1pm-7pm during 18/6. And lights off from 8:30am-8:30 pm during 12/12. Also helps with heat issues. Lights out during hottest time of day.

2 Likes

An open flap at the bottom for intake and a 4” exhaust fan at the top, vented on the side opposite the intake flap. Two 6” oscillating fans at diagonal corners.

1 Like

Are you running carbon filter that may be plugged or is dragging airflow way down? I would try maybe taking it off to see if so. Not really typical to run that hot with 74f intake air and good air exchange.

2 Likes

The exhaust is not plugged. Air flow is good. This morning the temperature was 91F. Yikes! At this rate my babies are going to get baked before I do. IF they even make it.

New question: Is there a small air conditioning unit that doesn’t use evaporative technology? The humidifying effect is bound to be trouble.
I have looked and the only ones I can find are out of my price range and need exhaust vented to the outside. And I really don’t want my neighbors to know what I am doing.

1 Like

Freeze gallon jugs and set them in a tray. When I was doing NFT it worked to swing a few degrees 3-5° anyway. So will moving fans and light driver outside the tent.

Can you condition the air in the room your grow is located in?

I would try every passive technique I could before investing in an ac unit. Maximize the efficiency of your grow space and that may account for a few degrees F. You will be fine if you can get your peak temps down under 85F IMO.

2 Likes