Advice on controlling high temperatures

Ok so my first grow was a failure due to too strong of an led too close to sprouts… so I did some more research and now have 2 CFL 105w (400w output).

I re-setup my tent (2x3x5) to test the temperatures. At night temperature is around 75 which is perfect but during the day temperatures got up to 86! I have a small 4" fan and ventilation system running as well.

Also I live in south Florida and it’s usually always 80+ during the day.

I have my grow tent in the Florida room, which is basically an enclosed room with no A/C but I keep the windows open for air circulation.

There are 4 people living in the house and the closets are all small so I don’t really have any space inside the house to put the tent.

Does anyone have any ideas on what I can do to keep the temp down during the day?

I thought about buying a small portable A/C unit.

What are your thoughts?

The portable Ac is probably your best bet if your exhaust fans and whatever your running aren’t doing the job and it would help you maintain humidity as well
I a commercial Ac mechanic up here in NYC so if you have other questions tag me and I’ll get back to you
Good luck @jasong

2 Likes

I should just cool the entire room right? And place it next to the tent? @Countryboyjvd1971

1 Like

i’m thinking inside the tent @jasong,it would take way more energy to cool a whole room…that is just my penny’s worth…lol

1 Like

If it where me I would cool the whole room if that’s possible @jasong
I have a portable unit my self and I do exactly that if I run mine but I live in Upstate NY and my set up is my basement which tends to stay around 80 during normal summer temps and I’ll run a dehumidifier to dry my basement out so I don’t require a lot of ac I maintain 78 in grow room year round I also heat my space in the winter :snowflake:
And allow my intake take fan to pull conditioned air into tent and exhaust fan will maintain proper temps
If cooling entire room isn’t a option then you could put a unit in tent but you will be giving up valuable floor space
Also if your going to purchase a new portable unit try to get one that is a two duct type for condensor air
One that brings in outdoor air to cool condensor
The single duct ones work but are far less efficient because they use room air to cool condensor which just throw cool air out the window vent
I have a friedrich 12000 btu portable myself a bit pricey but works great :+1:

2 Likes

@jasong I don’t know what type of budget your working with but if you can afford it look into
Ductless ac systems
Your mount a unit on a wall and have a condensor outside just like your central ac unit for the house lol
The are much more efficient to run and since your in the sun shine state you’ll be running this thing a lot
Just a thought bro
And if your a handy guy you could do install your self
I could put one in in about 6hrs start to running
Simple easy :grin:

1 Like

@jasong

Well there ya go. looks like @Countryboyjvd1971 got your problem solved. Thank You
Please keep us informed on keep’n it cool

Will

thanks @Countryboyjvd1971 i have not had to deal with heat issues here inside my den. when i build the ‘‘grow room’’ in the shed thats where i’ll will have too. i’m glad you can steer @jasong in the right direction!

Always here to help @BIGE
If you need advise when you building out yours let me know brother

1 Like

you know i will my friend!!! i try to help but sometimes step outside of my box…lol

1 Like

All good advise the wasn’t bad brother @BIGE
And we all do just because we like to be helpful :wink:

1 Like

@Countryboyjvd1971 thanks for the info. I don’t want to put it in my tent as it’s small enough as it is. And unfortunately my windows big slider type windows so I won’t be able to install a window unit. Will be looking around today to see what I can find.

Sounds good brother @jasong
You could look to see if you can find a casement window ac the usually fit in those sliding windows not sure how big of an opening you have but just another idea
Let me know if I can be of any other assistance my friend
And happy growing CB :v:

1 Like

@Countryboyjvd1971 what are your thoughts on these? Don’t have a big budget so just want something small that will do the job.

Robot or human?

An inline fan can help but if it’s 90 in the Florida room its going to be 100 or better in tent cause of lights and what not ?
Do you have fans now ? Exhaust and intake ? @jasong

Right now I just have an inline 4" exhaust and small 4" fan inside tent. Which doesn’t seem to be doing much. I also think my temperature gauge is off, I’m going to pick up a new one today and see.

@Countryboyjvd1971 ended up getting this… we shall see…

https://m.lowes.com/pd/Hisense-8-000-BTU-200-sq-ft-115-Volt-Portable-Air-Conditioner/1000195273

1 Like

@jasong that looks good
Sorry for the late response
How big of a room do you have

you must of got the last one. I clicked on it and it says unavailable. I’m just looking for the future so all is good. Hope that works out for you!

Do those still have a tray that has to be dumped out occasionally? Any way to hook up a hose and drain it off somewhere else?

I had one years ago and it would shut off as soon as the tank would fill up, which was about two hours if it is really humid.

The water from them is nice for feeding your plants as it is pretty much distilled

1 Like