Adventures in Hermaphrodites

@MattyBear

The orange lights are inside the sensor. Covering the sensor wouldn’t allow the CO2 to be detected. There is a green light on the outside, and I did put tape over that one. But I put the CO2 monitor on a timer now that coincides with my light cycle. So now the whole thing shuts down during dark hours now. Since then, I’ve not seen anymore nanners. Thanks!

5 Likes

Welcome out of the shadows!:wink:

I’ll hang out in your shadows so they don’t miss you so much…

1 Like

@FloridaSon

Thanks for hanging out with me! I’ll try to stay out of the shadows :grin:

1 Like

If you are using led lights make sure to check them after lights out, sometimes if your polarity is off then a couple diode can remain lit that caused my hermi

1 Like

@Sirsmokes

I’ll make sure to check that as well. Thanks!

I’ve been dealing with some minor foxtailing. I raised the lights a bit and that seemed to help. In my final flush expecting to give her the chop next week. We’ll see how she does.

I haven’t been around much, had eye surgery last week and giving my eyes a rest from the screen. Good thing I have helpers to assist with my grow. :grin:

2 Likes

An update. I harvested this girl on Wednesday. She looks and smells wonderful. So far, I’m not seeing any signs of seeds, but time will tell as she dries. She has many buds, and large ones at that. I’m happy for her yield and will give another update once she gets trimmed nice and purdy next week. :blush:

I’ve got my next grow started. I dropped 5 GSCX and 2 Northern Soul on St Patty’s Day. All germinated and I donated 1 of each to my son. So far, I am 100% for germination from ILGM! I believe I’ll start another thread to journal this grow.

1 Like

I’ll take a tag for that grow, if you don’t mind…

Ok, so life gets in the way. I’ve had intentions of starting a new thread journaling my new grow, but I kinda dropped the ball on that one… (no pun intended) :grin: I also wanted to share the results of my banana girl, I missed that one too. :slightly_frowning_face:

So anyway, better late than never I suppose. My CW yielded 1.25# ! She surprised me. Unfortunately, because she pollinated herself, the smoke was only so-so. I found only a few seeds here and there. So she wasn’t a total bust. All in all, although I’m not completely satisfied, it is was a learning experience.

As for my new grow. I started with 4 GSCE and 1 Northern Soul. I’m 3 weeks into flower today. I’ve scrogged each plant individually in case I had to pull any hermies from the grow space. They’re all healthy and thriving beautifully… until 3 days ago. The runt of the bunch was showing balls. I’ve pulled her from the room and now have 4 remaining. I am confident that I have addressed any possible issues of light leaks. My room is dialed in as far as environment goes. And here I am again racking my brain how I could herm another plant. This one makes 10 :sob: Now I am questioning my lights… are they too strong? I had an issues with foxtailing on my last grow when she was nearing the end. Is that even possible? Can overpowered lights cause hermies? I’m hoping this is an isolated case and the other 4 girls will finish without problems. I usually see nanners about week 4-5. I really hate bananas :sweat_smile: Time will tell.

Thanks for listening. I think I may be in the market for new lights. Any recommendations? I like what I’m seeing with the quantum boards but don’t know the first thing about them or how and where to start.

Peace :peace_symbol:

About 4 days into flower

1 Like

Light leaks or genetics… :wink:
Sounds like everything your doing is spot on… :wink:
How long are you letting them flower for?
I will always run Into a seed here and there just because I let them flower for so long… 6 to 16 seeds in a pound and a half of medicine is a good thing… :grin:
I always have a few strains in my flower room , so it can be a mixture of a few different strains… :grin:
Never a bad thing… you just don’t want a million seeds in your flowers … if your continuously running into this problem and your getting more then 50 viable seeds out of 3 oz. Then there’s a light leak…
Sit in your tent or room and see if there’s any light leaks… you need to sit there for at least 30 min to let your eyes adjust… :grin::wink:

I have had to do this many times… :wink:
@MamaMia
:v::sunglasses:

3 Likes

@peachfuzz
Thank you for the suggestions. I have done this, but it doesn’t hurt to look again. Appreciate your input.

I’ve only finished one CW which was approximately 65 days in flower. She showed a few bananas early on, I plucked them and just continued to let her grow. She didn’t seem to produce anymore trichs and although her flavor was amazing, her high was short lived. Because of showing male sacs, I culled all the others I had. It was definitely a learning experience.

1 Like

Based on the difficulty you’re having, diy you consider ditching the co2 generator all together?

I’m looking at 4-600 watt leds wondering which leds, because I’m very doubtful in 72 square feet your par levels are high enough to justify supplemental co2 anyway. And certainly not worth all your plants going herm. Just a thought anyway.

1 Like

@dbrn32
Being in a sealed room, you wouldn’t think the co2 levels would be inadequate? The room is sealed pretty tight. The levels stay at constant during dark and drop low during light of not supplemented.

Doesn’t co2 also require much higher temps? Something over 85-90f? I think I read that somewhere. Could that be part of it, too? @MamaMia has the temps listed as the mid-high 70’s.

Are you monitoring co2 levels? How low do they get?

I guess I assumed the room was sealed by design for the co2. It looked like you had exhaust with carbon filter, would you not be able to give it some intake air?

@blackthumbbetty I’m a big believer in maintaining light levels to maximize ambient co2. So my experience limited to tinkering with a diy project with paintball tanks, and not sure how qualified I am to say. But that seems like more of an issue that would plant growth and impact yield than cause herm. If I had to guess it has to do with relationship between plant respiration and vpd.

3 Likes

I am using a co2 monitor running the co2 into my sealed room from a regulated tank that sits outside the room. I keep the monitor set at 800ppm during veg and between 1000-1100ppm during flower. The room doesn’t get above 80 during lights on.

On another note. I sat myself in the grow room as @peachfuzz suggested, although I had done it previously, and did come across a very small, almost invisible, light leak. It was under the doorjamb and i have a clear hose running along that edge of the floor beneath the door coming from my dehumidifier. Crazy thing is, the clear hose was picking up the light and amplified it along a short length of the hose. It wasn’t terribly bright, more like a glow. I’ve fixed it but I find it hard to believe that glow would be my issue. But who knows.

The carbon filter circulates air, but I mostly use it when odors are high.

1 Like

There aren’t any lights on your co2 monitor, too, are there?

If you can see that light leak under your door, your plants can, too.

1 Like

@blackthumbbetty

I’ve put my monitor on a timer to coincide with my light cycle. So no lights now. That was one of the light leakers I fixed last grow.

Thinking about it, you’re probably right about the light leak under the door. The herm that I just pulled was sitting closest to the door. So that makes perfect sense.

3 Likes

It’s insane how sensitive they are. I’ve honestly decided to focus on autos b/c I cannot guarantee my grow area stays light leak free.

2 Likes

@Countryboyjvd1971 omg, yes just got back on worrying about this banna business. I was almost about to cry :sob: mine are showing what I think are flowers starting pistols whew thank God you showed up. Ty