Adding Worms To Your Soil

I went to the local sporting goods store and bought two dozen night crawlers. Iem thinking this will help the root ball in getting oxygen and get the worm castings, truss good growth.
What do you all think.good idea or not and has anyone done this before?

Be Safe
Will

I am not sure you would want the worms in your roots, but the worm castings are great. Perhaps you should build a worm farm, and harvest castings :slight_smile:

Thank you for your reply Latewood, but with worms in in outdoor garden are many why not in the pots. I placed two worms per pot. But the worm farm I just mite start one can’t be that hard to set one up.

Be Safe
Will

Will, I used to grow worms for one of my other loves… Fishing! They are not really hard to grow and it is pretty easy to keep them lively. Keeping them cool is a prime objective. I used to keep my worm bed in our cellar. Was not finished and kept the worms moist and cool. Used to throw the castings in my rose bushes. Had some monster roses that were always in demand in my neighborhood. I sold them to stores and at a roadside stand. Made a lot of tax free money selling them.

If you decide to grow worms, drop me a line, I can give you some tips. The first worm bed you do, I would buy the commercial bedding at sporting goods stores. After that you, get better at growing them and learning what they need to thrive. The castings are really good for growing plants. Haven’t tried castings on pot, but have seen so much about them that it looks like you can make out real well with them. Give those worms a lot of organic material and they will do great. You will have a good mixture and some very happy worms. lol

Am definitely going to castings on my next grow, I am going to try to maximize my soil by mixing up my own for this grow. I could use pre-mixed soils, but I really enjoy working in the soil and want to mix my own. Takes a lot of time but I am disabled and out of work. What else better to do than enhance your weed soil.

Good grows and Great buds to you.

1 Like

Hey Tx, can I feed my worms Mac and cheese?
Thanks

B Safe

Will

1 Like

I wouldn’t as the Mac and Cheese may taste good for us but the worms do not like dairy products. I always use all veggies in my worm box and had happy, fat and wiggly worms that the smallmouth bass and Walleye in New York State LOVED ! ! I never used anything other than green and yellow veggies, leaves, plant clippings coffee grounds and a little water. Be careful about adding clippings that had chemicals for killing bugs and such, as they could mess up the entire box! I also have product called Bio-Ag that helps with composting! Will send you more on it!
Take care of those little ladies.
Jerry

1 Like

I am will Tx and thank you, I will be waiting for them.
You take care and keep thing positive…ok

B Safe
Will

Old post but are gnats and flies in my outside worm bin a problem? Many articles on catching flies but didn’t see if they were bothering anything or not