Adding dolomite lime to FF Ocean and FF HF

Hi guys, I’m baaaacck and about to start my second grow with my last two ILGM sour diesel autos. I’m using the same containers I used for my first grow which was two plants. They are 17 quart self-watering planters. My first grow I did nothing to my FF soil except add perlite, and I used one of each…ocean and HF. I also didn’t do any of the technical stuff…runoffs…nothing really other than some flower nutes and I tested my well water which is good pH. I was happy with my yield of just over 2 ozs each plant.

This grow I’m thinking of adding dolomite lime to FF Ocean and FF HF. My understanding is FF soil has all it needs for nutes and is set the correct pH. I’m looking for opinions on using the dolomite. I don’t know how it would benefit the girls especially since I did nothing but add perlite to the soil for my first grow.

Also my tent is 32x32x63. I’m putting two sour diesel autos in but was wondering if I could put 3 ladies in there. I have Girl Scout Cookies Extreme Autos on order and would like to get one in with these sour diesels. Would 3 plants be too much? For lighting I’m using a Mars Hydro TS1000 LED AND a Meizhi 450W LED and running a 4" inline fan. Thanks in advance for your feedback n happy growing :seedling:

4 Likes

@Bulldognuts @MyHd @NeoGroR @repins12 @ReconBravo @ and everyone else I’m forgetting cuz I can’t remember :poop: @cannanewbie @fergus @dbrn32

1 Like

I tried amending new ffof with dolomite lime, perlite and bone meal. Oof. Overload and lockout from too much calcium.

Top dressing perhaps, if you’re using distilled or r/o. Otherwise I’d be cautious unless you’re seeing deficiencies from lack of calcium in your grows.

4 Likes

@Drinkslinger I’m inclined not to add anything but perlite. But I read if you’re going to use dolomite you have to do it before you pot the plant.

1 Like

It is slow release, that’s true.
They may refer to when you’re building a soil?

These days I only top dress with dolomite if my pH is diving.

Are you doing no til, living soil ?

I def think ffof and happy frog can use a wee bit more perlite.

4 Likes

@Drinkslinger I’m definitely adding perlite. I think I’ll just add the Dominican of I run into an issue and do as you said “top dress” which I guess is to sprinkle it on top of needed. til? living soil?

2 Likes

Top dress=sprinkle on top… maybe a little soil integration .
Living soil= style of growing that focuses on microbial biomes vs. synthetic nutrients to grow plants.

3 Likes

@Drinkslinger thanks for explaining. Back when I started and knew even less than I do now, I ordered maxigro and maxibloom so I’m sort of stuck with those. My first grow were I used the maxigro the girls didn’t like it. So I just used the maxibloom in flower

2 Likes

We all learn as we grow. Every grow for me brings new experience.

5 Likes

You only need something like a tablespoon of dolomite lime per gallon of soil if you’re amending from beginning. Running top dress later if need be is always an option too. You just have to be careful you don’t turn top of your pot into concrete.

6 Likes

That makes sense. Thanks @dbrn32

2 Likes

BE AWARE
avoid regular fertilizers. use pot fertilizers.
best to keep all plants in a grow tent same strain. diff strains grow different rates with diff nute responses.

2 Likes

It may be because FF OF is an amended peat media that will carry seedling well into veg before any additional nutrients are needed. I have burned up a couple plants by pushing nutrients earlier than needed. I believe OF uses crushed shells to buffer ph. May need some CalMag around week 6 ±. At least that has been my experience.

3 Likes

Yes I learned that my first plant when I added veg nutes and it started to not look nice. So I stopped and only added nutes in the flower stage :+1: Trial and error lol

2 Likes

Looks these guys have you covered here. With the mixture of OF and Coco Loco I don’t add anything to soil beforehand. I do start cal-mag fairly early in veg mainly because of the lights I use has caused issues with cal-mag being used up early. Set to watch. Good luck with this grow.

2 Likes

I would add some crushed or powdered oyster shells in the soil mix about 1 cup per cubic foot and I’ve replaced using dolomite lime with gypsum also at 1 cup per cubic foot as it doesn’t move the PH where dolomite lime will raise it up.

Ocean Forrest by itself from the bag will get you going but doesn’t have enough nutrients in there for a complete grow and will start running out of things as the plants mass increases etc.
of course this will depend on how big a pot you are using etc.
One plant in a 5 gallon container vs 1 plant in a 20 gallon container the 20 gallon pot will have 4x as much soil and nutrients for the plant to use.
I would also suggest adding some compost to the mix such as earth worm castings.

Just my thoughts

4 Likes

Yea from what I’ve been reading about the differences between dolomite lime and gypsum is that for one the ratio of calcium to magnesium isn’t optimal and that the form of calcium in dolomite lime moves the PH and causes problems and that’s why I’ve moved on to gypsum and oyster shells for Ca. Plenty of corroborating info out there on the web.

4 Likes