Adding capacity on a budget

Hi all - I currently have a small seedling tent with a veg light and a 2x4 tent with a Kind x420 light. I don’t have much wiggle room with respect to the yield to consumption ratio if something goes awry so I’m thinking hard about adding space for a couple more plants. I’m ok on budget for nutes and that, but I’m hoping for help thinking through a slightly bigger purchase that I’ll have to live with for a bit.

I have a two part q. First - I’m leaning toward a second 2x4, but was curious about thoughts about whether I should think about a 4x4 with an additional light and then use my existing fans, filters, etc. in there. I could then use the other tent for drying or seedlings. Or is the flexibility of 2 2x4s for growing a better call.

Second, I want to be able to get 40w/ft, so a 2x4 will need a 320W or so light. It seems more cost effective to do that than a bigger tent and daisy chain lights, but maybe I’m wrong. The q is, which tent/light combo would you all recommend?

Thanks in advance. I know you all love helping an operation expand :rofl: :rofl:

7 Likes

I think your 2 x 4 with the Kind X420 is perfect! I have the same set up. I also run 2) 200 diablos in a separate 2 x 4. I do like having 2 lights, rarely have have I grown multiple plants that grew at the same rate so being able to adjust one of the lights makes it easier for equal lighting distribution :love_you_gesture:

9 Likes

I think you will get a lot of very different answers.

For me, I would start with getting a 4X4 tent and 300 - 350 watts of light (to light half of the new tent). Then save up for a second light if you want the additional capacity. You may be able to get the total yield that you want by just adding light to your existing tent. It is worth a try…you can always get a larger tent if needed.

7 Likes

I’m kind of in the same boat, where if I stop, or don’t get my yield right, then chances are I’ll be calling old dude. I think another 2x4 would work well, to keep 2 in veg and 2 in flower. I’m trying to convince my wife of this. I only need the tent and another timer. Have plenty of lihhts lol.

7 Likes

I hope so, that goes to the beauty of the forum. Take input from various sources with different experience and make an informed decision. Thank you @merlin44

5 Likes

Thanks as always @OGIncognito
Thank you @Borderryan22 - good luck with Mrs Borderryan :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Do you all think think the SpiderFarmer SF4000 is worth looking at for $380?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07TXFR69M/ref=sspa_dk_detail_2?psc=1&pf_rd_p=dd2c6db7-6626-466d-bf04-9570e69a7df0&pf_rd_r=C3QPV27PYM2AVFNSS7GZ&pd_rd_wg=ucl3p&pd_rd_w=wGU3J&content-id=amzn1.sym.dd2c6db7-6626-466d-bf04-9570e69a7df0&pd_rd_r=35a03208-25ea-43cd-9f8a-28ca6f6c713b&s=lawn-garden&sp_csd=d2lkZ2V0TmFtZT1zcF9kZXRhaWxfdGhlbWF0aWM&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUEzMDBUMUtUVVhGWktWJmVuY3J5cHRlZElkPUEwMDczMzcyM1NEWU80TkFCTjVUUSZlbmNyeXB0ZWRBZElkPUEwODI3NTM0Mk5BS1JDUkJVSk9RJndpZGdldE5hbWU9c3BfZGV0YWlsX3RoZW1hdGljJmFjdGlvbj1jbGlja1JlZGlyZWN0JmRvTm90TG9nQ2xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==

2 Likes

Tagging in a SF dude @MeEasy any thoughts on this light Brother :love_you_gesture:

4 Likes

Thanks for the tag OG high @SandyC first I believe that @anon1893985 is selling all his equipment I’d check with him before buying new you might get a good deal on it. If not I’ve seen many great grows grown under those sf4000 in a 4x4…

4 Likes

Thanks. I know this topic is heavily discussed. I’ve read bunches of it, but it really helps to discuss first-hand since circumstances are always slightly different.

The HLG 320W XL QB® V2 Rspec® LED Kit is around the same $$ too. I’m sort of hovering those two options.

5 Likes

I would go for the HLG if cost isn’t an issue. You get LM301h diodes instead of LM301b diodes. The h model is about 10% more efficient and on top of that HLG selects for the the top performing diodes for their builds. HLG customer service is unmatched as well.

Even so, if you choose to go with the SF, it’s still a pretty good light. I have older HLG models with the LM301b diodes and they do fine.

4 Likes

I have a couple of the sf2000 and have gotten over 1.5 grams per watt growing autoflowers, I don’t think they do so great on photoperiod plants though 12 hours just doesn’t get you the numbers necessary. The 4000 have a higher intensity than the 2000 so it would do photos much better. There’s a few guys on here that run the 4000 I just can’t remember who they are

4 Likes

Thank you! I always read @anon1893985 with interest :slight_smile: LMK how to discuss.

I would definitely want to do photos justice. I have some Peanut Butter Breath beans I want to try to show off @Graysin :rofl:

5 Likes

Great choice :love_you_gesture:

6 Likes

:v::joy::sunglasses: just growing em they’ll do great for ya, no need to get fancy. Although a nice light doesn’t hurt!

4 Likes

Hey y’all :wave: if you want an HLG 350r just let me know i also have an HLG 200 Diablo I’m parting with… how’s life treating you guys.? Hope all is well :pray:t2:

4 Likes

Back atcha, @Coonass hope all is well. I’d definitely chat more about that 350r, are you on IG? Mine just adds 3323.

2 Likes

You can always decrease the number of plants you run in a 4x4, but after 3 plants in a 2x4 you’re pretty much maxed out.

2 Likes

Yeah 3 small plants work well in my 2×4 but only 2 good ones… i have no social media :upside_down_face: but will talk to you more about it tomorrow night

2 Likes

That’s my experience too, diminishing returns after 2. That’s what made me want to add a tent. Or that’s what I’m telling myself anyway :joy: