Added an A/C to HPS ventilation, is this set up right?

Any additional air needed to come into the grow room should be supplied by the ceiling vent that pushes in cold air in the summer. The room isn’t a closed system, the door is open often during the day cycle or at least cracked.

This light puts off quite a bit of heat so no setup of ventilation without cooling would keep the canopy at the temp of the rest of the house, plus my wife likes it hot in the house at around 78F and that’s too high of an ambient temperature to start from.

I’m not worried about a small increase in the electric bill if it means I can finally controll the temp range to only a 10 degree F window, so far it looks like the A/C unit increases the bill by about $10-$15 a month. The light itself plus the oscillating fans increases the bill $30/month for 24 hrs/day. I read on ILGM that a 1000 watt HPS would cost $90/month but it didn’t.

1 Like

I ran two 400’s in a 6x10 room with no room ac or air cooled hoods and maintained 78f canopy temps. It can 100% be done, but not if your ambient air temp is already 78f.

Math on bill increase is pretty simple. 1000 watt bulb running for 18 hours is 18kw. 18kw/day*31 days/month is 558kw. If rate is .20/kwh it’s absolutely over $100/month. But most of us don’t have rate that high. That doesn’t cover things like fans etc.

2 Likes

For 30 days I ran an experiment to see the electricity increase and it was nowhere near $100 and it did cover fans. It’s okay, you don’t have to believe me. I like this current setup.

2 Likes

Is not about anything being wrong with your setup. It’s just that not everyone pays the same rate for electricity and not everyonei s in the same climate. Something as simple as putting your home under negative pressure during cooling season could cost you $100 before you even plug a light in.

2 Likes

Let me say, the way you have it setup now is definitely better than before.

I need to add this, if you are exhausting air from one room to the attic, then your gonna have to replace that air from somewhere.
Air will take the least path of resistance. The air will not only come in from doors, windows, cracks and crevices, but also from the central air ducts. How hot is the air in your ducts during the summer when the air is not running?

You will be pulling hot air into your house from everywhere causing your central air to work ten times as hard to keep it at 78.

A lot more affordable and environmental friendly option for the plants and your house would be to have a split unit specifically for that room or a 2 hose portable air conditioner for that room. It would pull air in and exhaust it back out without having any effect on you central air.

Hooked up that way, you could arrange the AC to where it blows cold air through the light as well as into the room, and at the same time, you wouldn’t have to exhaust that air out of the room. So, you wouldn’t be having to replace all that hot air that your going to bring into your house the way it’s setup now. The AC would still keep that room cooler than what it is now.

Your room is too big to have to worry about loosing co2 so there is no reason to have to replenish the air. There’s enough gaps in the air ducts and under the door that will take care of that. JMHO

Plenty of folks her have been through these issues. That’s why we are here to help.
Good luck brother and keep us posted please.
Keep’em growin! :+1:t2::v::sunglasses:

3 Likes

Good points, though since the current setup is definitely doing the job required.

In the summer here it’s very hot so the AC is running constantly to keep the house around 78 F so I doubt ceiling vent temps will affect the canopy tent much, if it does the AC will just cycle on more frequently as needed.

Splitting the hose would probably not work since the unit is only 8,000 BTUs, and I’m sure the planet will be just fine with my AC being on during 30% of the day light cycle.

Planning on increasing the 9.5 oz harvest from last grow and I love this forum and all the help I’ve gained from it. It literally takes years off of trial and error personal experience. :v::v::v:

Brother, either you didn’t read something right or something… not sure. Never said anything about splitting a hose.

Where the devil did that come from? Obviously you don’t understand physics or something.
Environmental conditions is referring to your grow area. It has absolutely nothing to do with the planet.
You come on here and asked if the way you had it hooked up would work. It would work, and the way you have it now will work. Is it ideal? Not by a long shot. Will it grow weed? Absolutely.
Do you need our help, obviously not.

Btw, I did a little over 9 oz with one plant on my first grow. Now I do close to a lb with one plant, every time. There is always room for improvement if your willing. Just sayin! Good luck! :v::sunglasses:

1 Like

Thanks for the input. “environmentally friendly” was what you typed. It’s not strange to think that reference is associated with the environment.

“Blows cold air through the light as well as into the room”, again look what you typed.

I’m glad you can produce way more than I can as I’m at my second grow. Congratulations, you’re better than me. Also, it’s spelled “you’re” in case you didn’t know. :flushed: