About the HLG-550 v2 RSPEC

So I have a lighting question about the efficiency the HLG-550 v2 RSPEC and any comparisons that people have had replacing other lights the newer QBs. For a 4x4 tent area I am replacing this setup

with this one. I don’t want to burn the plants, and I don’t want to overestimate the output and leave them stunted. It is hard to replicate the sun indoors, and light output and heat mitigation have always been a main concerns. Interested in your input. Thanks as always @dbrn32, @merlin44, @imSICKkid, @AAA, @PurpNGold74, @Carol4486, @TDubWilly, @kellydans, @Milk, @Myfriendis410 and anyone else.

9 Likes

@MrPeat, @BobbyDigital, @HornHead, @Cheeser, @Gremmall, @peachfuzz, @Hogmaster, @Big123, @GreenJewels

3 Likes

You’ll be fine! Go big and do it at home!

10 Likes

Of course going to a top of the line LED over all those lights will be great. A 550 in a 4x4 is honestly a little overkill but it’s better to have more and not need it then to need it and not have it.

10 Likes

That is what I was going to say. LOL I blast my plants with light and never have an issue because I keep my temperature and humidity under control.

10 Likes

You’ll save a good little grip of cash if you do

4 Likes

This is underestimated by many growers (myself included) and :man_mage: ur grows show it!

@Stonedrus as everyone else said. Go big at ur home! :rofl:

7 Likes

@TDubWilly @imSICKkid “You’ll be fine! Go big and do it at home!” So as always, I hit 5 or 6 from the bong and decide to up the lights… I replaced that ViparSpectra Reflector 1200W on the side with a second HLG-550 at a 65 degree angle and as always additional UV. I did measure the distance from the light to all exposed areas of the plant, which is 1 WW clone, and will monitor for the remainder of the day cycle…

10 Likes

Wait what?!?! So u have two 550s in a 4x4?! :flushed::flushed::flushed::flushed:

Ok now. I know we said go big… but those are CO2 useable levels of light density no @dbrn32?

6 Likes

One other thing… It is very nice to have a community like this. I didn’t really have one when I started in 92. I appreciate everyone… thank you

3 Likes

I haven’t run a closed CO2 system in 25 years… still have tanks and tubing, but don’t want to run them. I realize that co2 will become the limiting factor.

Not sure if anyone else got u meant 2… id wait for more reassurance. That is a ton of light

3 Likes

Sorry… your right I was not clear… Now 2 HLG-550 V2 RSPEC, 1 horizontal, the other at angle, and 50w UV

2 Likes

Are you trying to compensate for all the people that come here with a 120watt light in a $4’x4’?

:joy::rofl::joy::rofl::joy::rofl:

I guess you’re prepared when it’s time to upgrade.

7 Likes

Using 2 550s for a 4x4 area is a complete waste of one of those lights honestly.

2 Likes

I agree, It will eventually be those 2 spread across a 4X8, with what ever else is need to makeup coverage, but I do like the addition of side lighting to increase density…

2 Likes

I have a 320xl qb in a 2x4 tent with two plants. I had to dim it down as far as she would go and move it up to 24” to keep the heat within the 77 degrees at the plant even with the 6” ventilation on and an oscillating fan going under light. You’ll have plenty of light there. That will be a great set up in a 4x8 :+1:t2:

3 Likes

One 550 is more than enough for a 4x4. Gradually harden your plants and a 550 shouldn’t be a problem at 24" or higher. Supplementing uv could cause some problems, you have to be careful with the stronger bulbs.

2 Likes

Supplementing CO2 might be a wise idea indoors if you have enough light to use it, needs good ventilation intake and exhaust too.

1 Like

She seems to like the lights,

Going to follow the recommendation and set this up tomorrow This will be first time I set up CO2 in a tent with this current fan system. Should make for a fun day. :grinning:

7 Likes