A whole bunch of undergrowth

Today is day 40 of flowering. The buds aren’t fattening up like I expected them to. Could it be because of all this undergrowth?

5 Likes

I believe you could prune some of those bottom branches. From the 1/3 bottom of her. Don’t go in like Edward Sicirrorhands chop clip clip. Pick a few a day over a few days give her time to recover from the stress. Then you can hang those cut to dry and cure and then It’s sample time. Good trimming go slow and clip some and step away go drink water then return and see how she looks. Enjoy others knowmuch more ask @yoshi @nicky@oldmarine @kellydans @JaneQP

3 Likes

welcome , your plant looks good it’s just getting started , Buds will continue to fatten an stack up. Keep up the good work ! :+1::v:

3 Likes

The buds will continue to fatten up. When I flip there is nothing but stems below the net. All of the bud sites are removed and any that grow back also get removed. Yes, all of the extra growth is taking away what could be going to the upper buds. At this point I think you are committed to seeing it through as is. Curious what all of those buds will amount to. I wonder if it will be worth doing a staged harvest. Cut the top and leave the bottom to mature further. Thinking as I type.

3 Likes

I agree with all that was said about trimming. I don’t have the best view but I think the leaves are pretty dark like maybe you need to back off on the N if you haven’t already, to much N during flower will affect your bud structure making loose buds.

3 Likes

Maybe lollipop next time around.

1 Like

I would have never guessed 40 days of flowering from pictures. Looks more like +/- 20 days of 12/12. Did you maybe have light leaks or something that extended transition time?

2 Likes

Maybe. It’s my first grow so I’m basically just trying not to kill it.

2 Likes

Is your tent arranged so that no light can get in when your grow light is off? If so, have you been opening your tent while the lights are off? Either situation could cause a number of problems. One would be slow transition to flower, another could be plants reverting to veg stage, and in worst case scenario could make plants go hermaphrodite. You definitely want to make sure their dark period isn’t interrupted when flowering.

Imo this is better than doing too much. Too many people worried about growing highest yieldinh strains and the most advanced growing techniques when they don’t really know what they’re doing. Keeps things simple and slowly implement things you learn.

3 Likes

I stuck a camera in several weeks ago and couldn’t see any light. I don’t expose them to light at all while the grow lights are off.

1 Like

Got me then, maybe just slow maturing plant.

1 Like

I built my own light board so I’m relatively certain that it’s just not powerful enough. I just enjoy the DIY stuff and figured I’d give it a go. I’ll eventually get around ordering a proper light.

3 Likes

Nice! What did you use for the light? I have been building them for years. You can build just as good of light that’s available for purchase, probably better for cheaper.

Did you take any pics of youe build process?

3 Likes

When did you start your count of day 1 of flower?

The day I flipped it. I see what you’re getting at though.

1 Like

Exactly, you have to wait till you see the little white tufts before you start counting.

2 Likes

The pistils?
That makes sense. In that case I don’t know how many days in she is. :person_shrugging::joy:

For me it takes about a week and a half after flip before i start seeing the preflowers.

1 Like

I’ll go back through my notes and get a definite time. Thanks!

I flipped them on 1-21 and the first preflowers showed up on 1-31. So they’re 32 days in I guess.