A Union of Maples - Autoflower Chapter!

So the Mango Smile in the Earth Dust literally grew about 6" in a couple of days. I think it might have something to do with the far red bulbs, although it didn’t have that effect on the other 10 plants. Anyway, her top was getting too close to the light, and I already had the other MS up on a milk crate to keep up with her. I don’t mind a tall plant, but I was disappointed with the node spacing. I went back to Mephistos site and read up on her again, and they do say she has large gaps between nodes. They also say she handles super cropping like a champion, so I decided to put that to the test!
Hopefully the main slows down to recover enough to let the rest start to catch up.

10 Likes

Very well done :muscle::+1::metal:

2 Likes

I’m curious how you guys feel about the different options for achieving a correct DLI. I’m currently running my lights on fairly low power because it only takes an average PPFD of 600 to reach 38 - 40 DLI when the lights are on for 18 hours per day. So it seems like I’m not taking advantage of the power that my grow lights are capable of putting out. I’m wondering if anyone thinks there might be an advantage in future grows to cranking up the power and shortening the length of the days. Like going up to 900 PPFD and cutting back to 12 hours instead of 18. Any thoughts? @dbrn32, I’d love to hear your opinion on this.

3 Likes

This is why I keep saying you don’t need a big powerful light to grow autoflowers. I have put autos in with flowering photos on 12/12 and they did just fine so yes you can change the light schedule on them

2 Likes

Yeah autos will grow with pretty much any light schedule lol It seems there are alot of potential savings on energy cost growing auto’s .

3 Likes

Yeah, I’m just a few clicks up from off with the dimmers, and I’m averaging 600 PPFD throughout the 3 grow spaces. It’s hard to believe how much power I’ve wasted in the past, and it’s a shame I have no need to use these fixtures to anywhere near their potential!

2 Likes

My opinion on this is to not flower autos on 18 hours of light. Or no need to even grow autos at all.

2 Likes

I’m loving the way these ILGM Bruce Banners are doing. The one getting Advanced Nutrients looks really good. The one in the Earth Dust looks great.

The ILGM Zkittlez are doing quite well also!

And there’s no doubt the ILGM Wedding Cake is loving the Earth Dust! She tried reaching for the stars, but I bent her main stem and tied her down.

These Mephisto Mango Smiles are set to take off. I have a feeling they’re going to push the limits of my 2’ x 4’ tent.

The Mephisto 3WOK-OG’s are finally starting to pick up the pace a bit.

The least impressive so far are the Mephisto Strawberry Nuggets. In fairness, they do list it as a small auto, and there’s still some time for them to come around. Hopefully the stretch is good to them! I’ve never had plants that wanted to stay so tight. The new branches are growing straight up, parallel to the main trunk, and hugging it. I’ve been pulling them out and using the clips to tie them down to the pots.

8 Likes

Great lookin plants Cap … the ones with the red stripe are the dust right? Sorry old man brain :laughing: I forget

2 Likes

Thank you! Yes, the red stripe on the tags are the Earth Dust girls. I was so worried I would lose focus for a minute and pour the wrong jug in the wrong plant, lol. I’m keeping the Earth Dust plants on the right and the AN ones on the left on the table all the time, and I got a separate watering can for each so I don’t screw up, lol.

3 Likes

Day 32 above ground for these girls. I think a few of them have potential to be pretty big autos. Let’s see what the stretch brings.

The Mango Smiles. Super cropping the Earth Dust girl didn’t slow her down at all.

The Bruce Banners are pretty happy looking.

Zkittlez

The 3WOK-OG’s

Strawberry Nuggets, they have some pretty big fan leaves, lol.

And finally the Wedding Cake.

9 Likes

looking great, tall and beautiful

3 Likes

Lookin good :+1:

3 Likes

I love seeing Earth Dust doing well. That will be my choice on my next grow. :blush::v:

5 Likes

I’m definitely impressed with it so far, no doubt about that. I was thinking, no matter how the comparison turns out, I’m going to do this same thing another few times. I just restocked my Advanced Nutrients supply right before I decided to try the Earth Dust, and I got 2 bags of each on that. So I’m going to keep running both next to each other for a few grows.
I’ll tell you this for sure, it’s a lot less work when you’re not collecting, testing, and then dumping runoff every night. Just having half of plants in the Earth Dust saves me a lot of time.

4 Likes

Hey everyone, I noticed something tonight while I was feeding and watering these girls. All 6 of the ones in the Earth Dust are in full flower right now, while all 5 that I’m feeding normally are just starting pre flower. I don’t think it’s a coincidence, it’s way too consistent. They were all germinated and all sprouted the same time. So what is it with the Earth Dust that initiated flowering earlier in all 6 plants? And do you consider it a good thing or a bad thing? I guess if you’re looking for the shortest time from seed to harvest it’s a good thing. If you’re looking for the maximum amount of growth before flowering begins, maybe it’s not a great thing.
Anyone have any ideas?

5 Likes

I am curious myself on this one

3 Likes

Yeah, I just looked them all over again. There’s absolutely no doubt. All 6 in the Earth Dust appear to be about a full week ahead. I’d really love to hear some opinions as to why. And I’d definitely like to share the info with anyone who’s looking for their autos to go as fast as possible.

2 Likes

The only thing I can figure (with my very limited experience and knowledge) is from what I’ve read . Which is autos can flower earlier or later just based off conditions so maybe they just liking the Earth Dust better aka ideal conditions so they are maturing faster…be really Interesting to see the difference in yield and quality of the buds from both grows…

It could be their just taking in the nutrients from the Earth Dust better and getting exactly what they needing…

2 Likes

That’s as good a guess as any at this point @SmokeyMtnHighs.
I’m a light feeder in general, so it could be possible that the Earth Dust plants are right on schedule, and the girls I’m feeding the AN to might be a bit hungry, but they look fine, and I’ve never heard that feeding heavier or lighter would have any effect on when an auto starts flowering.
Well, time will tell. I can’t wait to see how they compare at the end!

3 Likes