A tent: do you need one?

I’m thinking a green Sunshine es 180 and a fan inside a 4x4 box of PVC pipe with mylar sheeting around it open on one side but with a mylar top and bottom.

Will I encounter problems that a manufactured tent would purportedly resolve? Is fire one of them?

I would skip the carbon filter air exchange apparatus as well relying on the fan and the open side of my homemade tent to maintain air flow.

I would black out the windows rather than try to make the tent light tight.

Am I being just plain crazy?

And while I’m at it are nutrients necessary? Doesn’t pot thrive in the worst soil?

2 Likes

Welcome to the community. No, you don’t need a tent, some growers on here either use a closet or section off a area in their basement. The carbon filter and exhaust fan is used to control odor, if you or others in your house don’t mind the smell or you are in a legal state your fine. IMO good nutes and good lighting are 2 of the most important part of the grow.

7 Likes

Better check the prices on PVC and associated hardware needed, may cost more to build than to buy a real good tent.

9 Likes

After paying 65.00 on a sheet of 3/4" plywood I bet you are right.

7 Likes

I bought a brand new Gorilla 2x4x6.3 tent for 40% less than a build. That was a year or so ago.

4 Likes

That is exactly what I did in an unused bathroom. It is a smaller setup being 30x30x84.

I covered 3 sides with Permaflect Reflective Fabric. I only covered the upper part of the PVC frame. I didn’t see the value of covering where the pot is or the top or bottom.

3 Likes

I do have a 2 X 4 tent for starts but my main growing is done inside a 4 X 8 “box” made of 2 X 4’s and 1" styrofoam. White side in. I built double swing-out doors and have a height of 8 1/2’ so plenty of room to move stuff around and into the grow space. AC Infinity 6" with a carbon filter.

Styrofoam can be cut out wherever you need a hole and you can patch the same hole if you save the cutouts and use a bit of Gorilla Glue. Cost was comparable to a similar sized tent.

5 Likes

Beautiful and inspiring I like the inner trellis

1 Like

Welcome to the community , A tent is a quick way to get started also inexpensive. If you have building material laying around go for it. Good luck with your new venture.

2 Likes

Does the tent enjoy advantages over the build?

1 Like

Thank you! Are you using a tent?

1 Like

Yes , tent will come with support bars in top to hang fan an lights also holes in the bottom to pull in fresh air . All holes has pucker strings , An comes with a catch tray for less than a 100 bucks

2 Likes

Never did the build but using a tent is convenient for my situation. Your milage may differ. LOL

2 Likes

If you decide to go with a tent check out AC Infinity’s tents reasonably priced, quality materials.

7 Likes

how well does the 6 do for you? I have a 5x5x6.5 flower tent that I was going to get the t6 with filter for. I also have a 10x5x6.5 that is half for photos in veg and half for autos that I was going to get the t8 with filter for. I was wondering if this would be sufficient or if I should bump each one up to the next size? a little background info on the grow conditions:
-northeast great lake state
-basement grow with tents on 2" styrofoam
-flower tent has hlg scorpion diablo
-other tent has scorpion diablo over autos and cheap maxsisun -Amazon LEDs over the photos in veg
-flower tent setup will be straight out the top tent hole pushing air through the filter and out the basement window (everything mounted outside the tent)
-other tent setup will be the same plus a reducer for the 8" fan to 6" tent hole

any other info you need, feel free to ask!

1 Like

IMO you may as well use a T6 as the reducer will cut airflow. If you can run a T8 with no reduction you’ll be happy as it won’t need to run as hard (thus quieter). Keep your run as short as possible as well as it cuts air flow too.

My space does a good job of air exchange with the T6 but at times it runs flat out.

2 Likes

appreciate it. aside from propping the hose into the back flap of the tent that opens and pinching it at the highest points with the zippers, I can’t think of another way to fit the 8" hose without cutting the tent

2 Likes

They do sell kits to modify your tent. You might do a search online. But the T6 ought to do it unless trying to exhaust HID lights. Even with LED’s you may need supplemental air. My grow space is in the basement along an exterior basement wall (insulated) on a concrete slab. If I run all four of my LED’s at 200 watts, the temps will get up in the 80’s in late flower.

Worst case with a tent is adding another exhaust fan if you need it.

My last grow.

5 Likes

Hi there yes you dont need a tent you can make ur own box if you want specially if u cant afford a tent which most people cant afford a tent ,you can either use a wardrobe or a cupboard and when it comes to nutrients you can get living soil which is great for people that just want to water and not use nutrients , cannabis plants do need a good soil mix specially if u want a good harvest . But there are alot people on here that will help you with this aswell ,but this is my view on things use it how you see fit .

3 Likes

do you know of any stores/sites with these kits? I was looking and I haven’t been able to find anything aside from extending the tent or support pieces to keep the walls from caving in. I reached out to ac infinity as well about any possible solutions they may have but I’m still waiting to hear back from them.

1 Like