A pair of mars 2000's in a 4x4

Just wanting a affordable dependable LED and a good adjustable ballast to grow in a 4x4 tent. HID has been my only light experience. Dunno which brand combo would be inexpensive and still be long term quality. Paying for quality is not an issue, as long as it’s affordable.

You could spend minimum of 300. I started with a Mars Hydro 2000. Under 300. Amazon. I’m now adding a second same light in my 4x4. HLG makes good lights too. But then you’re higher in cost and quality but more like 700 - 1100. Hope this helps.

neofirebird…thanks for your input.
Yes, it quickly became apparent that the nice ones start around $800
Just about twice what I hope to spend.

2 Likes

Personally, I would avoid mars. There are definitely people here that are happy with them, but it’s still a low cost copy of hlg light with overseas customer support.

You are definitely going to pay more for a light from one of the bigger US companies. But they also provide third party verified performance specs and have domestic support. Not that you should need it, but if you did replacement parts with a company like hortilux lighting group are typically only couple days away. With a company like Mars there is usually several days of communications, then if they decide to send you replacement, it will be coming from China in most cases. On multiple cases they have requested customers ship their lights to China for inspection/warranty verification. I’m not sure about you, but average grower can’t afford that kind of time. Hopefully an issue you wouldn’t need to find out either way, but peace of mind has value from my perspective.

2 Likes

The well repeated stories about chinese mfg’s selling low power LEDs posted as very high power are pretty accurate.
I would much rather buy “American” IF they are quality which seems to be assured.
Avoiding MARS…what led n ballast would work best for a 4x4 ?

1 Like

I think the best value last I looked was hlg-600 (on sale). If not, then you could do two qb 260 kits and assemble yourself for a little savings. Basically similar setup, the two kits you would have to assemble, but would also give you flexibility of running separately and/or at different heights and intensity if you wanted. The next bigger lights would be 650r and scorpion Diablo. They also have hlg-550 eco if money is tight. But again, hlg-600 in r-spec at $699 is a pretty good price. It was $1050 year or so ago.

If you look around online and order direct from hlg, you can probably find a coupon code too.

2 Likes

@dbrn thanks, really don’t want to buy something that doesn’t work.
And, Quality does cost. Your learned advice is very appreciated. :smiley:

3 Likes