A Noob's 1st Grow Journal

Have an outdoor and an indoor same strain , both hate spray , makes em look bad but ya gotta do what ya gotta do when dealing with bugs

1 Like

Foliar spray I only use for micro nute defiencies, only right before lights out or as you said you’ll get the droplet burns, what soil are you using? Ph and ppm meter? Nutrients that you’re using, looks like you’re lighting and distance is great, I’m on my third Grow starting to take the training wheels off so I hope I can help ^^

2 Likes

Recently picked up this three pack, although I still need to calibrate before can say for sure as to the ph and ppm levels. Am ashamed to admit that I’ve been hacking my way through this, like when I taught myself how to play a round of golf well enough to keep score

2 Likes

Here’s the nutrients and water that they’ve been receiving. I usually water every 3-4 days, depending on how moist the soil is an inch or two below the sand

1 Like

Here’s the potting mix I’ve been getting from one of those big box hardware stores for $10. Also pictured is evidence of the fungus gnat plague and some diy traps that lure them in with organic peach syrup and raid sticky tape. Decided to go with coco coir next time along with a higher quality of nutrients. This fish fertilizer smells worse than death and the moist dirt is attracting the bugs. Picked up some hydrogen peroxide 3% and will add it to the distilled water next time they’re thirsty.

I also use epsom salt in the water once a week. Before trying the fish fertilizer I was using a 10-10-10 chemical formula that seemed too harsh for the babies. It’s pictured here, along with the builder’s sand that keeps most of the gnats above ground

1 Like

Figured I’d step up my game by calibrating this pH meter and checking the numbers, including the amount of tds present in the nutrient water. Also mixed up a new batch of Atomic (plant friendly:) Liquid Energy [pf.ALE©Ÿ=]. It looks like muddy water, smells kinda fishy, and contains either 144 or 395 ppm of tds, according to the two meters in this three pack. Definitely have to invest in better models, considering the ph meter will calibrate to 6.86 and 4.00 everytime, yet won’t calibrate to 9.18 mark, yet when that solution is tested outside of calibration mode the meter reads accurately. Yet upon holding the cal. button it records 6.86 and misreads until recalibrating using the 6.86 and 4.00 liquid solutions. It’s a mystery yet still works well enough for the time being. I’m using organic homebrew kombucha to lower the pH and sodium bicarbonate to raise the pH. The gallon I mixed initially tested around 5pH, and so i added half a teaspoon of baking soda and it’s just under 6pH. When feeding, I flame sterile a pair of tweasers and make four slots in the top of newly opened 16.9 oz water bottles before filling two with liquid nutrients. The lil babies share 8oz between five plants and the big babies share 25oz among the five. The solution looks like muddy water, smells kinda fishy (literally), and consists of distilled water, hydrogen peroxide 1:5, unflavored kombucha 1:10, fish fertilizer 1:100, chemical fertilizer 1:500, epsom salt 1:1000, and sodium bicarbonate 1:5000. I read that although baking soda does lower pH and is relatively safe for plants, potassium bicarbonate may actually be a better choice, according to: Best pH levels and how it effects plant growth | CANNA Gardening USA
Will have to pick some up soon. In the meanwhile I’m going to closely monitor all ten babies, now that they’ve gotten their first taste of the new formula. It’s basically the same ingredients I’ve been using plus a pinch of soda to make it less acidic by increasing the alkalinity. It’s also more of a pest punisher with the addition of h2o2. Hopefully the results will be positive for success and negative for regrets. Made sure not to use a spray bottle this time :sunglasses:

1 Like

Greater risks equal greater rewards, plus a higher price to pay for failure, in my opinion. Now that I’m finally beginning to comprehend the concept, at least in my own unique way of doing things, it’s time to get serious in order to help ensure a successful first harvest. Laziness and a lack of funding have been my two biggest excuses for procrastinating this long, yet after seeing an ample amount of progress towards the next level, I need to gain yet more exp to upgrade from indoor gardener hack to pot pharmer hack+ :smiling_face_with_three_hearts::heart_eyes::star_struck:
I began this adventure as master plant slayer and have a ways to go before attaining the legendary title of - Cannabis Horticulturist. My goal here is simply to learn as i go, as usual, and hopefully help some other kind people by providing info, ideas, and visuals of how to get started on a shoestring budget with 4mil polyethylene sheeting and heavy duty aluminum foil. A saw, plywood, and 2’x4’s. Five gallon buckets and clean dirt. LEDS from amazon and a fan. Speaking of buckets, from now on I’ll make sure to only grow one plant per pot. After seeing how big they can get and reading about how the plants may compete for resources, growing room, etc. it’s more kind to give them ample space to do their thing and live life to the fullest, loving every minute of it. Not to mention the harvest would most likely be more abundant as well.

Yea mate have always believed in quality over quantity;) only took Jonny one plant to beat the devil in Jamaica;)

2 Likes

Salty water for them plants

2 Likes

Just found some potassium bicarbonate for sale online in the jungle:
Amazon.com
Fortunately it’s inexpensive, yet any size less than ten lbs is a ripoff. Looks like I’ll have a lifetime supply of pH up. I’d rather use homemade kombucha and potassium bicarbonate to adjust the pH levels, as opposed to the pricer products on the market. In the meantime this salty water should be an interesting experiment, considering how much weird stuff went into it. So far the babies seem to be enjoying it; if this goes terribly wrong then it’s nobody’s fault but mine :upside_down_face:

Understand the experimenting but know that lots of people already have spent year trying different things , and salty environment is harmful for your plants , Most plants can tolerate saltwater on their leaves and stems, but they will dehydrate if they drink saltwater from the soil. 
 The takeaway is to avoid watering your plants with saltwater if you want them to thrive.

> Blockquote

2 Likes

I know there are thousands of ways to grow, and I tried saving some cash with something very similar to what your trying. It just didn’t work out for me, It ended the lives of several of my young ladies. Just as you said it looked great to begin with, but the excess sodium dehydrated the girls to death. They waved the white flags of death but I just didn’t realize till it was to late. Discolored stems, wilting of some leaves, and white build up on my discharge holes. Even though it was a while ago
man I’m still kicking myself in the rear. I spend the extra cash for PH up or down now, I learned my lesson. Good luck to you sir I hope it works out for ya.

1 Like

@Leholf

:joy::joy::joy:

:point_up::point_up::point_up:

“He was doin’ fine, they were standing in line
It was excellent weed indeed
”

Good luck on your grow, sir @MrEman ! You’ll get there. Just starting out, myself.

:+1:

2 Likes

For soil you should be good on adding any nutes until about 5-6 weeks after planting
? Someone correct me if I’m wrong lol then I believe your soil should hold onto those nutez for your plant to use as needed, a feed water water kind of rotation is what you’ll want to try to adopt, ALWAYS ph anything going in, since you’re soil I’d say around 6.5. Whatever you’re nutes tell you for dosing do 1/2 what they say because it’s always too much. Hold off on them Epsom salts unless you see a mag def, if you pick up a good base nute they will have a combo of micro nutes so you won’t ever have to worry about it. It looks like your soil may be over fertilized and the ph due to it is probably way below what the roots can absorb stopping osmosis. Always go by less is more, leaves can recover from a minor def, but once they are burnt their burnt

1 Like

And email who you got the ph meter from, I’ve used it before and mine wouldn’t cal to 9.18 so it’s going to be way off I wouldn’t use it till you’re replacement gets there. Distilled water 250 ml per packet don’t let anything cross contaminate or it will wreck havoc. Honestly I would water with distilled til it gets there, you’re soil should have more than enough to keep it feed, then give a good flush to get your ph back into place, and feed them with 1/2 strength ph 6.5. You’re soil will hold onto nutes though just as a reminder feeding alor will cause ph fluctuations and cause lock outs

1 Like

Lol glad someone picked up on it, great song

2 Likes

If you do happen to switch to coco you’ll need to wash it until it’s clean off salts, then a 2 8 hour buffers with calmag ph’d at 6.5 and about 1.4 EC (700 ppm) then before you plant any seedlings flush it with RO or distilled water til it reads .1 EC. If you want a effortless Grow pick up canna coco a + b nutes and they’ll take you to harvest. If you end up going a organic route I can suggest Fox farm big bloom and Recharge, but you’d have to look into a base solution for veg

1 Like