A Noob's 1st Grow Journal

Greetings Fellow Farmers,
MrEman here with my very first grow journal. Last year I got into indoor gardening and had serval trial and error grows with seeds purchased from a sketchy shop in California. Unfortunately, their genetics were super weak and none of the plants survived, although a couple of them showed beginning signs of flowering before giving up the ghost, so to speak. A few months later I found three beans in local dispensary buds, and they faired much better, yet my lack of experience was their demise. The higher quality dna proved to me that the main issue with the other grows was more so the seeds than the space used. At that point I went back to the drawing board and further dialed in the indoor environment to create more hospitable conditions for the babies. After ordering twenty white widow feminized beans from ilgm I germinated five at a time and with more trial and error I was able to lay the foundation for hopefully my first harvest. Upon seeing how superb their products are, I ordered twenty super skunk feminized and continued learning as I winged it, taking pictures along the way. So far it’s been about two months since germination, and at this point there’s five ww growing, two ss sprouts, and three more ss that were planted yesterday. I accidentally killed 5ww and 5ss before they were able to take root, yet still have ten beans of each for later on. Due to the various stages of growth I decided to use the makeshift grow closet for the youngins plus veg stage, and an actual grow tent for the flowering phase. My hopes are high, especially now that I’ve finally found a few effective ways to eliminate most of the fungus gnat population that were pestering the gals since last year. Sorry for the lengthy introduction, just wanted to provide some background as to the learning curve process. Without further ado, it’s time to post some pictures as a visual timeline.
Much Love Family,
Mystery Man (MrEman)
Born in Lincoln City Oregon overlooking the Pacific Ocean
Currently residing on the opposite coast overlooking the Atlantic Ocean

5 Likes

2 Likes

1 Like

1 Like

1 Like

1 Like

1 Like

1 Like

Invested in a grow tent and a second LED light for the flowering stage. Going to run the oldest plant first as a prototype, taking notes on ways to improve in the future. There’s always more room to grow :relaxed:

1 Like

What leds are you running ?

1 Like

Running a Maxisun 1000 in the makeshift growcloset and a Bloomplus 1500 in the tent

1 Like

The white widow fem seeds were surprisingly easy to germinate using ilgm’s method, and I noticed that adding hydrogen peroxide to the room temp h2o really helped the beans pop sooner than usual. I tend to avoid the paper towel method because this garage is prone to mold and mildew. I’ve been camping out here since 2014 and it’s taken an immense amount of effort to create a habitable environment for a human. Thankfully the babies have a natural resistance to the fuzziest of fuzzies, and only showed signs of trouble when I left the plastic tote “greenhouse” lid on for too long, which rose the humidity above the safe range. The super skunk fem proved to be more difficult to germinate, and so I decided to try a different approach after killing eight seeds before they could take root. I figured it would take a more unconvential method, so I simply put three beans approximately 1/2-3/4" under some loose organic potting soil with a layer of builder’s sand on the top and bottom of the pot to keep the fungus gnat plague at bay. That day they received a big drink of water, and then I kept the soil moist for the next two or three days. At that point I gently removed the top layer of sand in the center of each pot, and much to my surprise all three super skunk sprouts were breaking through the soil! Now they look healthier than any of the other plants did at this young stage of growth. Hopefully this info helps other newbies to keep at it even in spite of disappointment or frustration. Everything in life takes time and experience in order to learn the best avenues for reaching success. I started growing last year and am finally beginning to see the fruits of my labor come to fruition, literally. I’ve noticed that once the gals get past that vulnerable seedling phase they tend to survive quite well with adequate lighting, liquids, lots of love, and an environment that suits their preference, i.e.- temp, humidity, sterility, and pest control. Oh by the way, the first five in the tent are all wwf, and the five youngins in the closet are ssf. Looking forward to seeing some pretty “flowers” this May, Lord willing, and hoping that everything goes well between now and then. It’d save me thousands of dollars compared to what I pay at the local dispensaries, and there’s that true satisfaction factor in partaking of one’s very own home-grown medicine. When I brew kombucha here I call it the k-train, because there’s always some new booch fermenting along with another vessel for flavoring plus some swing top bottles with the finished product. My goal is to keep this herb express rolling on without any further delays, always having five veg in the closet and five flower in the tent. Pretty soon I’ll get a large clear plastic tote and make a third spot for five sprouts to expedite each harvest for a total of three per year, Lord willing. Thanks for reading my ramblings; happy growing everyone. May great health be yours both now and always, along with wisdom for your hearts, strength for your minds, plus an abundance of peace, joy, faith, hope, and love for each and everybody.

2 Likes

I learned a valuable lesson about how to properly feed my babies after accidentally burning some of the leaves last week by misting the nutrient solution directly on the plants. Another mistake that I was making at least half of the time was to mist distilled water on the leaves, instead of applying it to the growing medium away from the stem. Thankfully, they’re still alive and the new growth looks fairly healthy. The lil babies are doing well, too.

The third lesson I learned about nutrient solutions, whether premixed or diy, is that even if the label says safe for all plants, won’t burn, etc. there’s that asterisk with the disclaimer for legal purposes. The final lesson I learned about watering is that even just h2o on the leaves can cause light burn, due to a magnification effect from the light passing through the water droplets. It’s a science for sure. Wish I’d of known how fun indoor gardening is years ago, because this is such a neat hobby, getting to see them grow stronger every day.

1 Like

Had to kill $420 bucks worth of beans over the course of a year to get to this point, yet can say that even now it’s totally worthwhile in my opinion, considering the amount of experience it’s provided. Granted, the two orders placed from that other company in cali were $300 worth of weak :dna: and duds. The bright side is - still have ten wwf and seven ssf for the next two rounds. Leaning towards super silver haze for the next ilgm order, since the summer atmospheric conditions in this garage are a lot like living close to the equator. It took awhile to get it right, and still have a long ways to go, yet it’s better late than never when it comes to saving thousands of dollars spent at the local dispensaries.

1 Like

Yea look some strains just hate foliage sprays , particularly if there’s a surfactant in the spray

1 Like