A New Chapter : Flood and Drain

Patiently waiting. Growing a bit and seem to be taking to the system for now.
Roots poking through. Some a lot more than other

14 Likes

Outstanding brother! Glad for ya! Keepā€™em growin! :+1:t2::v::sunglasses:

5 Likes

Thanks ! Iā€™m hoping !

I still have plenty of time to a few this up :sweat_smile:

4 Likes

looking great, wont be long and younwill have a forest.

1 Like

So exciting!!!

3 Likes

Iā€™m doing it ,Iā€™m doing it ! :rofl:

5 Likes

@peachfuzz or @Myfriendis410 idk who else has hydro experience. But above I posted some root pics. Today they are a bit longer ,but the question is. Do you think Iā€™m possibly flooding too often if they arenā€™t becoming branchy and hairy. Just long looking Taproot everywhere.

Currently flooding 10 on. 60 mins off .
Was going to be bumping up to 2 hours off once I felt they were all established enough.

7 Likes

I feed every 3 hours lights are on. Top feed system and tables. From the time they go in the system. Is it right, no clue but does seem to work for me.

4 Likes

They look fine to me for just coming out of pot. Iā€™d quit pulling them out of the table.

5 Likes

Hah hard not to . Eager to monitor progress and make sure root are not rotting out on me .
They growing visibly in roots and vegetative. So not to concerned. Just know typically want wispy branch roots but they are pretty long now and isnā€™t happening. So was curious if was something I was doing.
But I agree. Gonna let it ride since seeing results I like .

4 Likes

I would run 3 off and floodā€¦
And repeatā€¦
Should be enough residual left in the tray if they still need itā€¦
You could do 2 off and floodā€¦
Flood and drain are a pain in the a$$ ā€¦
But it will workā€¦
You just need to find the happy mediumā€¦
But try to keep things on the dryer side of thingsā€¦
Thats why i say 3 hours dry time and then floodā€¦
For 30 min ā€¦
Then dry for 3 hours and flood for 30 min againā€¦
That would be my routineā€¦
Mind you , im a water only growerā€¦
But still have a little experience in flood and drainā€¦
:v:t4: :sunglasses:

7 Likes

Thatā€™s what I did: for 30 minutes every three hours during lights on and once during lights out.

Roots look fine.

5 Likes

Iā€™ve always wanted to add an extra feeding or 2 during lights off but my brass donā€™t clank hard enough. And now after joining here may have learned it wouldnā€™t be beneficial if the plants arenā€™t up taking :thinking:

1 Like

I had not really thought much about the timing as to when to feed. I would do it when I got around to it. Now I am making a concerted effort to feed shortly after the lights come on. I figure if breakfast to good for us, it should be good for plants.
The other thing is people mentioning leaf droop during lights out. I had not really noticed that before. However, this grow with one GDP in particular, it is very noticeable. At first I thought now what is wrong. Then I realized what was going on.

4 Likes

Now thatā€™s brass knockers, Iā€™ma dude man :joy::rofl::upside_down_face::joy::rofl::upside_down_face:
I set my feed cycle as followsā€¦this is hydro in clay
Lights on, 5 minutes later 1st feed,then every 3 hrs. Veg cycle that 6 feedings on 18hr lights.
Bloom cycle thatā€™s 4 feedings on 12hr lights.
On my top feed system, 15 minute on cycle.
Flood tables system, 8-10 minutes on.

4 Likes

@Joshmcginnis28 I am just about done with a grow using a flood and drain system, will probably flush in another week. I did mine in buckets but same general ideal. For my grow I started with the GH root cups. Once they took root in those I put them into the clay pebbles root cup and all. At 3 weeks I had them on 18/6 light cycles and (3) 15 minute watering cycles. The light was raised up higher and turned down which ended up being a mistake because of stretch. You can pull a couple photos from previous posts I made. The flood & drain process has been on cruise control the entire time, change the water once a week and keep it Phā€™d. My mix recipe is below in the correct mixing order per General Hydroponics.

Armor Si (circulate this for 10 minutes or so before adding anything else)
Cali Magic
Floranova grow/bloom
Floralicious grow/bloom
Liquid Kool Bloom
UC Roots

Water temp is critical, I added a chiller to my system to keep it at 70f

4 Likes

One week update

Then :

Now:

12 Likes

Tried to be like you @merlin44 and get exact location before and Afters and still canā€™t get as close as youā€¦ and mines laid out in a grid that doesnā€™t move :sweat_smile:

6 Likes

It looks good to me. I just sit in the same place and aim my camera. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

5 Likes

Lookin great buddy :metal:

1 Like