A Journey to Grow

Hi all, first proper grow here. I’ve been getting some help over at Emily kyle forums so I thought I’d plot some progress over here with the grow family. This set up is implemented with a tight budget and a must for total discretion.

This is just the beginning but I’m continuously germinating to add or replace them as needed.

4 Likes

Welcome to the ILGM Forum. I’ll tag along if that’s OK. Good luck, and Happy Growing!

Emily Kyle is one of my favorite resources. Great info there.

1 Like

Lights too high? I moved them up around 15-20cm a bit over 30cm. The little one has a bit of light burn but it might have been from issues I had early on that have now been fixed. I guess I’ll check them tomorrow and see if they stretch.

I’ll be watching also! Best to you.

1 Like

Welcome to the forum @webbex
I might suggest going easy on the water. Seedlings don’t like being soaked.
Try to avoid getting the plant wet. The water on the leaves can act like little magnifying glasses and burn the leaves.

2 Likes

This is the ladies today midday. Yes they look like they are starting to reach again so I’ll get the extra role of Velcro so I can do small adjustments. Cant get insulation and reflective material, really just improvised, has worked OK, I’ll do the floor in it too, also acts as a light shield. Room is completely light sealed now. Started looking Into the irrigation thing this morning, more to come on that. I know it’s all a bit sloppy but I’m making do with what I have at my disposal.

2 Likes

Trickle feed work in progress

2 Likes

Are you killing them?
Seedlings are stretched need more light - lower as needed.
Mist / spray when lights are off. Use a dome if you spray because RH is low.
Move fan so it is not blowing directly on them.

1 Like

I’m actually opting for a trickle feed, it’s an experment I admit but I’ll give it a go, I’ve made some major modifications.

You said must at night? What about watering, should do that in lights out as well?

Very hot here babys are getting a bit burnt, leafs are looking fragile. Backed off the lamps a touch sprinkled with some water. Fans up higher but going to put a proper 30cm fan in tomorrow to get the air moving better, worse part is at night it’s like 17.

1 Like

Put a pedestal fan in that blows to where it’s most open. It’s quite strong so I’m probably going to do it manually just when it’s needed. I also repositioned the other fan in the top to push the air flow down and out.
I’m babying them today so I can get on top of the temp thing but if I need too I’ll put the fan on a timer too just for the hottest part of the day. Took a screenshot of our weather for next 10 days.

Larger fan installed on same timer as lights, has helped with heat mitigation.

I’ve come a long way.
This is version 1.0

This is where we were at as of yesterday, big one got some female parts , I’m thinking maybe the little one might go male but I guess we will see, I have a feeling that little guy is a auto anyway I reformatted the greenhouse, removed irrigation, moved lights into upper section for better distribution and heat control, the big fan isn’t reqd now but I’ve left it setup for the next heatwave. The Velcro straps were just the best idea ever, I removed all the front and mid rods in the greenhouse and it’s really starting to take shape now :slightly_smiling_face::eggplant:. Also got the seedling setup on the go, repotted 2 this morning and put into the grow area after all the modifications. So I’ll keep that process going until I have 3 females and 2 seedlings. If I keep that going it should be a simple enough process, watching for males wasn’t an issue before but I might as well do it like a pro. I have a plan to send the male’s wild , I have a small outdoor setup I’ve started to assemble using a pot with a thermal cloth enclosure, that way I can keep them and they have a spot to their own with lots of light, still thinking on how to mitigate rain, thermal cloth is ok but isn’t as bigger barrier I hoped but I’m looking at using a tomato climbing thing, can’t think of the name, anyway that would allow structure and still allow plenty of air etc. Next plans are on an external grow, I need the males to pop because I’d prefer males in my wild grow. I have a location only accessible by bike with lots of sun near water edge. This planning I’ll do in a seperate thread when it happens, logistically it’s gonna be a real challenge.

Tomato cage?

Yeah it just provides a structure for vines to climb but they are in a inverted pyramid shape so a cloth scan be secured over the top

Pic is similar not quite but you get the idea.

Day 17 , been very hot again, so annoyed had the fan on same timer and all but left the fan off because the weatherman… Anyway… Fan goes on its own timer now unless it get freezing cold. Which can happen here. Nonetheless how am going, I’ve watered twice today very lightly and not on leaves , pushed some soil up to the roots stem for some support, lights at 500mm (20 inches roughly. I’ve been using the moisture tester to root depth , seems to be keeping my too much love watering in check, lol.

The tent pic doesn’t show the reflective board but I always have it in front.

Slight miscalculated days so we are actually day 19. First nutrients went on this morning. Guided by ilgm . Had to use what I could get I know it’s not ideal but specialty fertiliser is hard get here. Pit on some pyrethrum today, had some caterpillars and flies so thought I better nip it in the bud so to speak. Everything else seems to be going well fan on the timer has mitigated the heat well.

1 Like