9/6/2021 - Cloning trial #2 Gold Leaf Feminized ILGM

Did some pruning on plants today and decided to top Abby; she is a Gold Leaf Feminized from ILGM. She was planted in soil on 8/5/2021. I topped he just above the 6th node.

She has a hole straight down her stalk. Is this normal?

Here is the clipping and planting.
She is in FFHF.

2 Likes

Totally normal, just chopped a 73 day old, hole was as big as a McDs straw.

3 Likes

Good to know. Thank you!

1 Like

Keep asking those questions? I am a few weeks away from my first grow and want to clone the tops also.same seed strain plus WR from ILGM. Good growing

1 Like

Yes it is…

1 Like

For future cloning efforts try to make clean cut on 45 degree angle. This will increase surface area most likely to produce roots.

2 Likes

I cut the top off the plant at 90° to the stem. I trimmed the clone to a 45° cut, then dipped into the Clonex Gel and stuffed it in FFHF.

Should I have cut it off the plant at a 45° angle?

Not critical on the plant, could go either way and produce same result. I was just looking at picture above and it looked kinda straight but jagged.

1 Like

It did not cut as easy as I thought it would.

I need to buy a better set of shears. The stalk was harder than I thought.

1 Like

For stuff like that I use fresh sterilized razor blade for box cutter.

1 Like

Thank you for the guidance. I appreciate it.

1 Like

Np. Probably not as critical when just taking a single clone, but I prep glass of ph’d water and place directly into that after cutting. One I’m done taking clones will then scrape base of stem with razor and pit into rapid rooters with rooting solution. I think Hellraiser has good write up here on cloning, and his method didn’t seem terribly different from mine.

3 Likes

I read most of his cloning thread a couple of times. So much valuable information.

Such a great group.

2 Likes

I also scrape the side of the stem near the bottom. About as much as I’m sticking in the medium.

2 Likes

Hey Don,

Just a tip. Be Patient. As long as you keep the humidity high, they will live for literally more than a month.

I took some cuttings off a BlackJack plant. For various reasons, they didn’t root for the first month (moving states, temp, medium). Eventually, they rooted after 5 weeks. Only one of them lived BUT it survived 5 months with nothing more than RO water and coco coir (ate the fan leaves to survive).

Best of luck!

1 Like

Question for you fine folks.

Do I have to mist my clone startlings(?) with H2o if there is condensation on the top cup?

1 Like

No, the condensation is telling you it’s humid enough in there, if you don’t see condensation then spray into the upper cup, not directly on the cutting.

1 Like

Thank you.

1 Like

Clone #2 rotted. Everything touching soil was mush.
The 2 little branches just fell right off.

h02B1F80D

One left for me to murder.

1 Like

Can someone tell me how wet should the soil be when I put the clone startling in the solo?