80-watt LEDs for a 6.667 sq.ft. closet

A customer has a question and I hope we can get some opinions on it, thanks.

“I have (8) 80 watt led light bulbs that I’m rigging up to make a grow light box out of, for a 6.667 square foot closet, will this work?”

It depends

Generally you’re looking for 30-50 actual draw watts per sq foot. I don’t know if that would be enough.

640 watts is the equivalent wattage. Generally a 600 watt LED has 100-200 actual watts. so you would need to look at it that way and decide. Maybe, maybe not. Sorry I can’t be anymore specific

1 Like

These are just regular 80 watt led light bulbs. I took the globe off of them all and am gonna make a grow light box out of them …I am a poor boy. Can’t afford the Proper Lighting required

I hear ya @autoservtech14 . Do you know what spectrum the bulbs are? Possible to take a pic?

You may be limited to how many posts you can do today, but go and read some posts and click on the hearts to like them and you will get higher privileges quicker.

1 Like

Hey bob31, it is quite humid today here in Arkansas. I will send a picture of bulbs and my grow light frame of 4 16"× 11" × 21/2" aluminum turkey roasting pans

I’m not sure if you can use those or not. I would imagine they’d be ok for sprouts and seedlings, but beyond that I’m not sure they would be enough.

I’m gonna tag one of the mods who knows lighting a lot better than I do @Majiktoker

1 Like

Sorry guys now 1:15 am just got off work…to start my sincere apologies for the delayed response…

At 800 lumens your gonna need a stronger light than that even for seedlings, my advise find a stronger bulb or better lights T5 lights dont cost all that much nor do they emit off alot of heat but produce 25% less light than metal halide lamps and 30% less light than a high pressure sodium (HPS) lamps. Im sure they are far less efficient than leds and you can however get a good set up for around the same price as a good T5 set up

1 Like

Thanks @Majiktoker I gotta brush up on lumens.

Is there an optimal lumens per sq foot ratio?

Not sure, although im sure you could divide lumens by sq meter or ft

So, so to speak look at a 400 watt metal halide lamp it has 39,000 lumens, a 400 watt hps lamp has 50,000 lumens and 1000 watt metal halide has 88,000 lumens and a 1000 watt hps has 140,000 lumens.

@bob31 that could give you a rough idea on what to look for

1 Like

thanks @Majiktoker it’s all coming together. Slowly but surely!

I will track down a couple of decent LED’s and see what they have for Lumens, since that is what I know and maybe I can come up with a rough guide. I will tag you back when/ if… lol

Led lights are measured in lumens or par (photosynthetic active radiation) which basically to dull it down is the bandwidth of spectrum contained from led chips or lights.

Essentially its really easy to understand and follow along, only thing tricky about led lights is lumens simply because of the assorted colored chips or full spectrum lights it can really confuse things (mainly because different color chips show off different color spectrum which in led lights are nanometers) @bob31

A nanometer (nm) is the measure of the wavelength, or frequency, of light in billionths of a meter; the lower the number, the shorter the wavelength.

2 Likes

oh sure… LOL. I guess as long as there is a lumens measurement included then we should be able to make a reasonable comparison, No?

1 Like

Yea I dont see why not lol

A great way to do a comparison is by getting a lux meter and measure how much each light puts off for example a 600 watt hps and 600 watt led, than at that point look at how many lumens a 600 watt hps puts off, if the led is equivalent brightness then its likely safe to assume they are close to the same lumens.

If the hps or mh is duller than the led (if full spectrum could be because of the UV and Ir chips contained in the light making it brighter) than likely safe to assume the led is gunna have a higher output of lumens

Did I lose you lol I kinda got that impression

I was actually considering getting the meter previously. I follow more or less. Sometimes I have to let thing marinate a day or two or three before it actually clicks. @Majiktoker

2 Likes